Rear diff fluid?

Cobertible01

Established Member
What is everyone running for rear diff fluid? I am installing a new diff cover this weekend and I already know the previous owner had 4:10s installed. Thanks In advance.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What is everyone running for rear diff fluid? I am installing a new diff cover this weekend and I already know the previous owner had 4:10s installed. Thanks In advance.

A synthetic 75W-140 GL-5 gear lube is required. You will need 1.5 quarts.

If you choose to use what I use that will be Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle).
Friction modifier for the Traction Loc is included in the Max Gear formulation, so no additional will need to be purchased or addied.

theunseenclass

Get that shit outa here
Established Member

If you choose to use what I use that will be Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-140 (part #01301, quart bottle).
Friction modifier for the Traction Loc is included in the Max Gear formulation, so no additional will need to be purchased or addied.

American muscle claims 2.5 quarts to fill, I wonder why? I've noticed Uve said 1.5 before and never thought about it untill now, as I'm doing a gear swap this weekend.

Cobertible01

Established Member

Thanks Jimmy! What would you use for gasket maker for the diff cover?

shurur

Established Member
I've got the detroit truetrac...used valvoline for a few years..just changed it with advanced auto 80W90 gear oil....took almost exactly 2quarts.

The "old" Valvoline was clean as a whistle...but I am a mere DD.

Aside: I redid the PS and Trans fluid with valvoline maxlife ATF.

Maybe I'll wait a couple of summers and refill the diffy with some fancy stuff.

tistan

Established Member
American muscle claims 2.5 quarts to fill, I wonder why? I've noticed Uve said 1.5 before and never thought about it untill now, as I'm doing a gear swap this weekend.

That is for a solid rear where the oil travels down the axle tubes. IRS take 1.5 quarts max.

tjsparky

FYI for the 2001 Cobra the SVT manual insert says to use 80w-90. The 75-140W is for the solid axle GT's.

Page 14

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WO1MUS/~MUS~LEN/43/01mussv1e.pdf

99cobra302

Established Member
Yes I am bumping a year and a half old thread.

I acquired a used 99 stock IRS to replace the one currently in my car. I want to change the gear oil in it before I put it in my car.

I will be using 1.5q Valvoline 80w-90 oil, but I want to know what kind and how much friction modifier to use. Or should I just use RP and not worry about a friction modifier. Its just that RP is like 22 bucks a bottle and I have heard conflicting things on if it is even worth it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread