Really Confused!!!!

phatman

Established Member
Hello everyone, I am on this site continuously and I am debating a purchase. I sold my 05 GTO a couple years ago and will be purchasing something within the next couple months. I love the 07-09 GT500 and how easy it can be modified. An old rival just bought a C6 Zo6 and he is talking smack. the car is stock, but he can drive. I've been looking at the 1/4 mile times here and the corvette forums. I am considering an 07-09 Shelby, A6 C6 ls3, or 2010 Shelby. If i purchase the older shelby, I want to put a Wipple 2.9 and supporting mods, including drs and suspension. But, if I purchase the 2010, mods will have to wait because of the down payment. If I purchase the auto LS3, I want to supercharge it through ECS. The Auto would be very consistant if I raced him. Most are seeing a little over 500rwh. The price to mod both are simular. I love the fact that you can put 20 inch wheels on the Shelby with Drs, lower it and it looks good. the vette needs the wide body to really look good (imop). It seems the Shelby needs 700rwh to see 10s, because of the weight. Some Zo6s have run bottom 11s stock. I know, with a ported Eaton, pulley, CAI, and 3:73s the Shelby can go deep 11s, however, the heat soak will become a problem after a few runs. I know every one has a Vette and I barely see Shelbys. But, the Vette is really hard to turn away from. I am not new to Stangs. I had 4 all modified, 2 with superchargers. I also had an 86 Grand National that ran 11s, a LT1 T/A, and My GTO 440rwh and (560) with n2o. I did consider a used Zo6, but now thats out the question. I am a good driver, I drove my GTO 12.7 @108 with just Drs consistantly, before I added the cam. Sorry for the long post, but I need some bias advice LOL.

phatman

Established Member
I like the Vette, but love the Shelby. Driving equal, what is needed to beat a C6 zo6, with possible headers, cai and tune. Sorry for the confused state, I just want to beat this guy again. I can be stealth with the Shelby. Keep my hood close and say its stock, exhaust only. Lol

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member
I am running 11.677 with stock pulley a JLT cold air and Suspension mods as well as cooling mods and Off road X with Magnaflows.

I am sure with the pulley and change the plugs and get it retuned I will be touching 10 or damn close to it. If I upgrade to a whipple then 10's are a sure thing but then you have to go get a cage.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
it can be done but a full weight GT500 does need the good mid 600's to run 10's unless running a drag supension setup an a good drive. im sure there are a few GT500 guys in here that can tell you exactly what you need to hit 10's

phatman

Established Member
I really think i'm going to get the Shelby. Back when I bought my GTO, I wanted the Cobra, but opt to try something different. Didn't regret it, because the GTO turned out to be a beast on Drs. The potential to make the Shelby a beast is there. I go to other sites and they talk about the weight of the Shelby, the same way they did my GTO, but with a good driver and gears I know the Sheby will fly. Sorry , I just needed a push. 11.6s are impressive for what little work you have done. Hopefully I will return with more advise on which supercharger (Whipple, Kenny Bell, or TVS). I know. lol, SEARCH BUTTON FIRST!!

phatman

Established Member
Its not the Corvette crowd. I'm looking for the best car, with the best potential. If a person is a prick, there going to be a prick no matter what car they own. I want something different, because this is the second person I know who has just purchased a Vette. Both guys had Mustangs and for the most part, they have great personalities. I do see a lot of old guys with Vettes though.

Rob_03Mach

Established Member
I ran best of 11.1@128 with OEM blower, upper & lower pulley, JLT CAI, exhaust, VMP TB, ran OEM intercooler as well, although would recommend upgrading even with stock blower... Dyno'd 567rwhp SAE....I'm thinking I could have hit the 10's, but wanted 10's quicker and got the TVS...

So, I'd say get a 07-09 GT500 and mod it...:banana:

PS. I love vettes too...but, would'nt give up my GT500 for one...

WA 2 FST

Established Member
Its not the Corvette crowd. I'm looking for the best car, with the best potential. If a person is a prick, there going to be a prick no matter what car they own. I want something different, because this is the second person I know who has just purchased a Vette. Both guys had Mustangs and for the most part, they have great personalities. I do see a lot of old guys with Vettes though.

Amen... good to see there are some true hot-rodders out there... who are looking for the best car for them. A real hot-rod, muscle car enthusiast doesn't fit any of the stereotypes, no matter what vehicle they drive.

Knowing the you enjoy modding your cars, I think you will really like the Shelby. It does take more HP to run the same in the 1/4 mile as a 3200-3300lb Vette. But it can be done rather easily.

That being said, you already know what you're up against. A bone stock C6 Z06 is no slouch in the 1/4 mile and downright ridiculous on a road course. Good luck with your purchase... you'll have a blast with the GT500.

phatman

Established Member
Amen... good to see there are some true hot-rodders out there... who are looking for the best car for them. A real hot-rod, muscle car enthusiast doesn't fit any of the stereotypes, no matter what vehicle they drive.

Knowing the you enjoy modding your cars, I think you will really like the Shelby. It does take more HP to run the same in the 1/4 mile as a 3200-3300lb Vette. But it can be done rather easily.

That being said, you already know what you're up against. A bone stock C6 Z06 is no slouch in the 1/4 mile and downright ridiculous on a road course. Good luck with your purchase... you'll have a blast with the GT500.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to purchasing the Shelby. I don't plan to do any road course driving. I just love the 1/4 mile and I like having enough power to keep the nay sayers quiet. A close friend of mine has a KB cobra with a complete engine and supension build. He is praying i get the Shelby so we can double team the Z. Lol, I would hate for this guy to throw a cam and a hundred shot on and destroy us both. Oh well, can't beat everyone. Slicks+ 8.8 inch + hole shot could mean win!!

chuckstang

Established Member
I like the Vette, but love the Shelby. Driving equal, what is needed to beat a C6 zo6, with possible headers, cai and tune. Sorry for the confused state, I just want to beat this guy again. I can be stealth with the Shelby. Keep my hood close and say its stock, exhaust only. Lol

On the street, its reallly going to take an aftermarket power adder (larger blower, turbos, nitrous) or some really good driving and traction!

On the strip though, there are guys running high 10s with under 600rwhp but with a suspension mods and larger drag radials

GT500 just isint there from the factory but with some well though out mods, it can be whatever you want it to be.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
You can't go wrong either way. Its really up to what you like the most. My 2.9 whipple Shelby destroys stock C6 Z06 vetts but a modded Z06 is also very fast. I do like the look the stock Z06 owners give you after you had them their head. Thge one thing is no matter what you get there is always someone out there who is faster

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Get the Shelby/so much potential its ridiculous ...

I almost hit 600 with an upper pulley and exhaust/tune/CAI
and was running 11's with Toyo's...LMAO...No joke!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
It's hard to deny the weight advantage of the Vette but I would be concerned about putting 500rwhp through that GM auto... don't think it would last long. I say get the car that that suits you, either can be modded to be extremely fast :burnout:

et9secstang

Established Member
I love my shelby.I was a GM tech for over 15 years.I still work on a lot of GM's.I like all fast cars ,but I won't give up my GT500

Users who are viewing this thread