Real Bling

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
496096615f1a3e4c2ff29d814bef940db5d5e6e40a6d4ec35f0201ba15c609c7_1.gif

I don't. But my dad does/did. He swears they're a good investment.
but idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I collected coins years ago, but lost interest because I just didn't see long term reward. But then again, I didn't have many rare coins. I also collected stamps years ago, but that was a big dead-end. Once the early fun wore off, the stamp collecting ceased. If I was wanting to collect coins, though, it would only be gold coins.

beau t

Established Member
I try and keep all the new quarters and have a good amount of silver but no gold, was hoping the quarters wold be worth something to pass down

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I used to collect 50 cent coins and the dollar coins when I was younger.
Got a handful of other discontinued coins as well.

johnkn

Established Member
What’s sexy about coins?

Most of what I have are high MS vintage $20 gold St. Gaudens pieces considered by many to be the most beautiful U.S. Gold coins. They also contain ~an ounce of gold. In 1997 when my father turned 75 I made a significant investment in a number of high MS 1922 St. Gaudens coins (his birth year). I think I paid $500 each at the time. My only regret is that I didn't but a few thousand more. ;>) Spot gold is ~$1300 today. While not a 'knock it out of the park' investment, Like some of the other things I 'collect' it's nice to have something that I can touch and hold and enjoy that appreciates, and that can be easily liquidated under the radar if needed.

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have a shizz ton of silver coins. Half of it is my FIL that he collected when he was a kid and willed to my wife. I never actually went through it all. The other I got from my side of the family. Lots of books. I'm willing it to my kids so they can piss it away on iphones and beer.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I have a somewhat big collection that I got from my Grandmother. I have no idea what's in the collection but I do know there are a lot of coins. Hmmm.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Does coins mean something I’m unaware of? What’s sexy about coins?

precisous metals can be a hedge against inflation. They won’t make you money like stocks, but their value is consistent.

Before we were taken off the Gold standard you could go into a bank and trade a $20 bill for $20 of gold or silver. Now our money is not backed by anything other than faith, so where money can be printed and increased, it is not like a solid resource like Gold which has a limited quantity. The more money we print, the less it will be worth (inflation), while other resources will hold their value from being fixed quantity.

Furthermore, Gold/Silver have been manipulated by “paper gold/silver” as people have created futures (gold that does not exist). One day that will be accounted for and the true quantity of gold/silver will be accounted for and increase the value of physical gold/silver.

As one example- silver. Silver is in a lot of things- primarily electronics. If it’s true value of $1,000 per ounce was accepted it would take 10 times the cost to product an iphone/computer. The price of silver had been suppressed in order to make it more cost effective to buy silver and produce products cheaply. Silver has been running a deficit for years.. it is a finite resource and will once be exhausted- at that point you’ll get a lot more for silver as it’s needed to produce all these electronics we’re addicted to and can no longer produce without silver.

Look up how many TRILLIONS of dollars we have printed just in the last few years and it can mean only one thing- hyper inflation and/or war. When the dollar is worth a fraction of a percent and precious metals are still worth their “weight in gold” you will want to be holding some. Don’t go for the paper contracts- “If you don’t hold it, you don’t own it.”

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
We keep what we call "funny money". Nothing of real value but a lot of $2 bills, silver dollars, .50 pieces, susan B anthony's, etc.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I collect any silver I find older than 1964 and any wheat pennies I find. Obviously anything older than that. My dad had a small collection he gave to me when he moved. I don't know why though because he had some interesting stuff.

I also like currency from other countries so I keep those as I find them. My fiancees dad gave me some old franks and some japanese yen coins a little bit ago.

I try not to buy anything and just find stuff but I bought an Arabic ship wreck coin when I was in Grand Cayman some years back. I really like that thing.

nxhappy

Established Member
I have some coins but nothing exciting. We just sold my great grandparent's coins, I think close to $20,000 to give to my grandmother. I am thinking about buying some perfect mint gold eagles. God knows the dollar could take a shit at any moment. I'd rather have the gold and guns =)

Users who are viewing this thread