random rev limiter

mcallister

Established Member
ive been having a weird problem with my cobra. in 1st gear i can take it all the way to red line, 2nd gear will hit a wall anywhere between 5500 and 6000, same with 3rd and 4th. it doesnt hit at the same spot everytime. mods are a 2.8 upper stock blower, arh long tubes w/ off road x pipe, mac cat back, msd 2step, the previous owner installed everything and also said he changed the plugs but didnt say what he put in. has anyone else had this problem?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ive been having a weird problem with my cobra. in 1st gear i can take it all the way to red line, 2nd gear will hit a wall anywhere between 5500 and 6000, same with 3rd and 4th. it doesnt hit at the same spot everytime. mods are a 2.8 upper stock blower, arh long tubes w/ off road x pipe, mac cat back, msd 2step, the previous owner installed everything and also said he changed the plugs but didnt say what he put in. has anyone else had this problem?

You are probably pegging the MAF at your power level.

Or...

Have maxed out your fuel pumps(w/o a BAP).

Or.... Both!

mcallister

Established Member
You are probably pegging the MAF at your power level.

Or...

Have maxed out your fuel pumps(w/o a BAP).

Or.... Both!

ok, im ordering a twin screw with fuel system and all supporting mods next week so hopefully im all set. i just wanted to make sure it wasnt some sort of electrical gremlin. i just bought this car about a month ago so im not all that familiar with it yet.

Reload469

Established Member
Hey! I know this is kinda old, but this is happening on my cobra too! It has me kinda worried, mine has a random limiter at like 4100 rpms but I checked my tune and its set for 6500 in drive. So did upgrading your MAF/ Injectors fix the problem??

testorossa1989

Established Member
Get your battery load tested as well. A failing alternator can cause this issue if you run with your fog lights on or the power isnt being recharged properly.

ctgreddy

Established Member
altho mine doesn't do this when driving in gear like it seems the others have, when doing a burnout mine will go in and out of hitting a wall. I've found that something goes on with my n2mb 2step. as when I turn the 2step off I have no issues with this. with it on it acts up 50% of the time.

mcallister

Established Member
It fixed my problem when I did my whipple swap. But I did the whole fuel system, maf, and everything so I can't tell you exactly what it was.

Reload469

Established Member
Mine has a PPRV delete, new alternator as of last month. I think I'm gonna break down and try a new MAF. Was looking into SCT Big Air, any other recommendations??

03Steve

Established Member
Without data it's speculating at best. Fuel source, torque source, spark, and commanded lambda is needed (at minimum) during the event. If working in SCT your tuner should be able to send you a config file, or be able to get further information in person.

Reload469

Established Member
mcalister, I'm looking at your build and it's pretty similar to what i'm looking into. Do you usually run your cobra on the street or is it a strip car? If you run street a lot then what's your tune and how do you like it?

mcallister

Established Member
It's a street car, I've only been to the track once. I've got 3 different tunes for it. It's very streetable and runs great. The only complaint I have is the cruise control seems a little jumpy with the sbtb. Here's the tunes I run but I can't remember how many degrees of timing are in them.

93 octane with 3.5" pulley makes about 16psi 634hp/553tq

93+1 bottle of torco with 3.25" pulley makes 18psi 665hp/587tq

93+2 bottles torco with 3" pulley makes about 20-21psi 686hp/

Last edited:

Reload469

Established Member
Sounds like a pretty great setup man! Some TVS guys on here were making claims of the 2.9 being a little laggy when using less than 20 psi, you have any problems with that??

mcallister

Established Member
No, there's absolutely no lag in it at all. When you put your foot down it's all there. Torque comes on instantly and power builds nice and smooth. If post a dyno sheet but it won't let me load pics through tapatalk anymore for some reason.

mcallister

Established Member
I was either going with the tvs or the 2.9 and I'm glad I got the 2.9 over the tvs. I'm making great power and barely working the blower. I couldn't be happier.

Reload469

Established Member
Awesome, I'm planning on getting the 2.9 in the next year or so, just trying to do as much research as I can before I buy. Sitting at 515 with my ported eaton right now, JUST NEED MORE!!

SxyMuffinSnake

Established Member
Just an FYI for people looking for the answer to the problem with the stumbling at 4500-5500rpms, its your FRPS. Ford made different FRPS's that looked the same but were completely different internally, which causes a stumbling if you put the wrong one on.

Users who are viewing this thread