SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Miss Hurst, Linda Vaughn

View attachment 1746389

Hurst Hairy Olds

View attachment 1746392

View attachment 1746390

View attachment 1746391

That was a great read. I didn't know half that stuff about it. Who would have thought they would need nitromethane on those engines to smoke the tires. Even the pretty tame 455s on leaded pump gas of the day were pretty effective at turning the old bias plies to smoke.

The fact they got around the suspension deflection by dialing it way out is wild. I've never seen anyone with a Toronado even push it to that kind of limit.

And interesting to see the final run was at Niagara Dragway.

To carry on a theme, I'm betting' Linda was "hairy" also

would've smashed

It was the 70s. Shag carpet e'rywhere.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I looked her up prior to making that statement. She's 78

1650760007808.jpeg

ehh, I do know if I could close my eyes and pretend it was 20 years ago...

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
****, I’ll keep my eyes open and imagine her 20 years later.
Dude, you’re knee deep in questionable sexual adventures. 9/10 times I give an audible “whoa, hold up” to a sexual post I look over and damn if it isn’t 72MachOne:ROFLMAO: keep it up brotha, stay strong.

RES0574

Established Member
1985 - Philly ( USS Forrestal CV-59 )

1.) I am on the second floor of that brick building (Bldg 620) to the Port Side of the Forrestal. Unfortunately it no longer looks like that as it was refurbished by Aker.

2.) If you look closely, you will see that there is a ramp that runs over from the top of Bldg 620 onto Flight Deck. On the South Side of Bldg 620 (side facing you from this picture), there are inclined ramps that run in both directions back and forth so that a forklift can transit down to ground elevation while another forklift is making its way to the roof.

3.) Those yellow boom cranes (Portal Cranes) no longer exist except for two, the AL-93 & AL-94, which are between the Forrestal and Bldg 620. The AL-94 still functions, but the -93 is just a shell, completely stripped.

Recent view from when I was bringing in the USNS Antares for repairs (former SL-7 class Sealift).
USNS Antares.jpg
USNS Antares - Stern.jpg

The yard is full of NSMV Block assemblies now.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's quite a museum. Anyone who lived through, say, the 50s, 60s and 70s would be blown away by all the stuff they have. This museum is literally one block from my job. Older folks might remember, for example, the cap guns that were popular in the mid to late '50s. Well, they have a number of them, including the one I used to have. It's a real blast, memories wise.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
When I was getting firefighting training in the Navy we had to watch film of the Forrestal burning out of control back in the 1960s. Over 100 sailors died from that fire.
..................29 July 1967
134 to be exact....................there is a placard in the hanger bay listing the names.
uss_forrestal_fire_1_1967.jpg

uss_forrestal_fire_ra-5cs_burning_1967.jpg

1470242389110.jpg

After I retired from the Navy, I went to work for Anheuser Busch Inc. ( Budweiser ) @ it's Newark N.J. plant. I met a guy that was on the Forrestal @ the time of that fire, He worked out of the same shop I'd run in 1985. We are still friends & go to breakfast from time to time,.................small world !!

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I spent today driving these two on our windy backroads. Quite the contrast! Weird driving other people's cars NOT on a race track...
View attachment 1747309
View attachment 1747310
View attachment 1747311
View attachment 1747312

Maybe I'm just a sucker for vintage stuff, but something about the old C1/C2 Vettes and even Cobras is so alluring, even in a way the newer roadsters aren't. Sure they're all big motor, light body cars, but maybe that element of danger and retro look is more fun than the refinement to chassis and brakes that newer models offer.

Users who are viewing this thread