Random Picture Thread

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I remember this ad very well. I had recently joined the Navy, saw the ads, and ended up buying a 1970 Road Runner in Ivy Green with (a rare) black bucket seat/console option through Chrysler Military Sales.

12-1970-Road_Runner_1-970x1509.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some little known Yenko Stinger Corvairs.

3-1541454421768@2x.jpg

554511.jpg

449431.jpg

scan0189.jpg

6-1541454425903.jpg

Chevrolet-Yenko-Stinger-Engine.jpg

Chevrolet_Corvair_Yenko_Stinger.jpg

Yenko Stinger
1966 - 1969
Engine: Air-cooled Flat 6
Capacity: 2684cc
Power: 220 bhp @ 5500 rpm
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Top Speed: 100+ mph
Number Built: 100+

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member

So cool to see the old adds! The Porsche was cool, Dad had one when I was a kid(orange 1971) instead of the plastic back window it was glass. I regret not buying it back when the option was there. Just didn’t have room and already spent money on another project. Shit. Coulda woulda shoulda.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I enjoy seeing the old ads. I remember most of them from the late '60s and early '70s. Funny how back then muscle cars provided a fraction of the power today's cars provide but the auto makers really pushed/marketed them to the young buying public. Today we have cars (not a lot of them) pushing over 600whp and except for Chrysler/Dodge, the automakers are not putting a lot of marketing effort into them. Granted, we've become heavily focused on SUVs and trucks, but I just find it all ironic. Sign of the times, I guess. :(

Cool that your dad once owned a '71 Porsche. I've always liked the Porsches, but have never owned one.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
That Revel scale engine must have been pretty cool. Do they even still sell models like that? I remember going to hobby stores and even department stores just in awe of the entire aisles of models, spending hours upon hours building them. Of course, I'm sure many of us were familiar with the rite of passage that was tearing down and rebuilding endless junk actual small engines. I wish I could find the clip of King of the Hill where Hank goes "Bobby, you are going to take apart this carburetor and put it back together until you know how to do it with your eyes closed."

I had to look up which transmission that Buick ad meant- I thought it was the later Super Turbine but in '60 it must have been the Dynaflow. Crazy that they had a manually shifted 2 speed with such a slushy converter you couldn't even feel it shift. I've drive an old Super Turbine 300 (actually a Jetaway as Oldsmobile marketed it), and it would hold low gear up to 60mph when you got on it. The "switch pitch" that would actually vary the angle of the torque converter stator was really neat, providing a variable converter slip. That said, swapping to a TH-350 was a huge improvement.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread