Ran my GT against a cobra

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Whats the standard drivetrain loss for these things?

If the engine has 390hp, 15% drivetrain loss would yield 331whp.

420hp at 15% drivetrain loss would yield 357whp.

Now at 10% loss, 390hp would get 351whp, and 420hp would get 378whp.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Whats the standard drivetrain loss for these things?

If the engine has 390hp, 15% drivetrain loss would yield 331whp.

420hp at 15% drivetrain loss would yield 357whp.

Now at 10% loss, 390hp would get 351whp, and 420hp would get 378whp.

I've been told by both Bob Kurgan and Jon Lund, that the T-56 puts the power to the ground more efficiently than your average Trans, and the loss is about 10-12 % give or take.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i was 372rwhp stock---and the stock exhaust is definitely quieter than a comparable mustang GT. most people with 'flowdumpsters' have the mufflers welded in--not sure if that means flowmaster didn't make a kit for IRS equipped cobras or not. sounds like you beat the driver, maybe the car. good kill

SoCalStang

Established Member
i was 372rwhp stock---and the stock exhaust is definitely quieter than a comparable mustang GT. most people with 'flowdumpsters' have the mufflers welded in--not sure if that means flowmaster didn't make a kit for IRS equipped cobras or not. sounds like you beat the driver, maybe the car. good kill

More power, lighter car, better driver ;-) = win

black03kbcobra

Flawless Victory!
Established Member
03/04 cobras were definately underrated. I bought mine with just a steeda cai and it put down 407rwhp. Then put a catback on it and made 412rwhp.

02SVTV6

Established Member
So you own a 2V which is a loss in itself. You put a blower on it and Your racing a STOCK 03/04 4V which is already win in itself because it just looks better and nothing a pulley cant fix for well over 400rwhp. What's being accomplished?

DanTheMan18

Established Member
So you own a 2V which is a loss in itself. You put a blower on it and Your racing a STOCK 03/04 4V which is already win in itself because it just looks better and nothing a pulley cant fix for well over 400rwhp. What's being accomplished?

Wow, condescending much? Hope you feel better about yourself. :rolleyes:

02SVTV6

Established Member
Wow, condescending much? Hope you feel better about yourself. :rolleyes:

I'm curious to know what exactly was accomplished. Modded car beating a stock Car. Modded car not worth half the Stock Car. The stock car modded beats the already modded car. Stock car has a forged bottom end capable of more than 500rwhp with a Roots blower with no spray.

SoCalStang

Established Member

So what's your point? A 2V being a loss? I slapped a blower on it with a 9# pulley a custome tune and made 400rwhp, I think that is pretty darn good for 2V engine. I'm not going to get into my car is better than if I just change this or that. The point of my story was that a cocky guy was humbled, it could of been any other car. My point was not to say that my GT is better than a cobra, or not. The outcome was just that, my GT beat a stock convertible cobra with a passenger. Get off your high horse dude.

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
I don't buy the "%" number when guestimating HP loss via the drivetrain...

For example... Identical Cars...

Car 1 makes 300 HP at the crank LESS 15% drivetrain loss = Minus 45 HP @
tires = ABOUT 255 WHP.

Car 2 makes 600 HP at the crank LESS 15% drivetrain loss = Minus 90 HP @
tires = ABOUT 510 WHP.

Car 3 makes 900 HP at the crank LESS 15% drivetrain loss = Minus 135 HP @
tires = ABOUT 765 WHP.

WHP loss grows exponentially larger the more crank horses you have with the same car?
The more horsepower you have means the less hp you have transferred to the tires? Nah...

The parasitic drag loss remains the same if the cars are the same no matter how much HP they have...

Just having a brain fart, what do I know...

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I don't buy the "%" number when guestimating HP loss via the drivetrain...

For example... Identical Cars...

Car 1 makes 300 HP at the crank LESS 15% drivetrain loss = Minus 45 HP @
tires = ABOUT 255 WHP.

Car 2 makes 600 HP at the crank LESS 15% drivetrain loss = Minus 90 HP @
tires = ABOUT 510 WHP.

Car 3 makes 900 HP at the crank LESS 15% drivetrain loss = Minus 135 HP @
tires = ABOUT 765 WHP.

WHP loss grows exponentially larger the more crank horses you have with the same car?
The more horsepower you have means the less hp you have transferred to the tires? Nah...

The parasitic drag loss remains the same if the cars are the same no matter how much HP they have...

Just having a brain fart, what do I know...

Are you serious?
The frictional losses on a 500 whp car are more than for a 400 whp car.
However the percentage would be the same if the drive train is the same.

The heat in all the components(drive line w/ friction) will also be measurably greater in the higher horsepower car.

The loss from non-friction components like driveshafts and axles are simply from inertia(mass). So no significant heat differences are found here.

Last edited:

DanTheMan18

Established Member
I'm curious to know what exactly was accomplished. Modded car beating a stock Car. Modded car not worth half the Stock Car. The stock car modded beats the already modded car. Stock car has a forged bottom end capable of more than 500rwhp with a Roots blower with no spray.

*shrug*

Guess I'm a car guy in general; I have respect for anything that has been built right and can move out, regardless of what platform it started off from.

The "what if" game never plays out; either party could "slap on this and that, make this much horsepower," but that holds zero weight when the hammer drops. The "accomplishment" of this race is confirming the fact that the "underdog" pulls out on top every once in a while. I've always had respect for the underdogs; the six bangers that edge out GT's, and the GT's that edge out Cobras. The fact that it's not something that you would choose to spend your money on doesn't change the fact that he won in a "lesser" car, which in my eyes is something to be proud of.

I fail to see how your logic holds any weight when you're dumping money on a New Edge Cobra. Not exactly the be all, end all platform, when we're talking about Mustangs. Don't get me wrong; your setup sounds badass, but I'm simply applying your logic to what you have.

Ironhand

Banned
I've been told by both Bob Kurgan and Jon Lund, that the T-56 puts the power to the ground more efficiently than your average Trans, and the loss is about 10-12 % give or take.

The actual number is 12.9% power loss through the T-56.

Zinc01

Established Member
To the OP, good kill. Take the critics in stride. This is an SVT forum, so you're not going to get a lot of respect for a 2v. You could be running 9's and there is still going to be the SVT snobs. If I owned a cobra, I'd probably post here more. This is one of the few boards I visit where street racing posts aren't immediately deleted, though.

I've almost sold my GT for an 03/04 cobra a few times, but never ended up doing it. Finally decided to just stick with my GT, because it's paid off. Was going to do a 4v swap, but for my goals I don't really need that. By next year hoping to be around 600rwhp w/ out spray, maybe 700 with spray. More than enough for around my area. You'll get a lot more races with a GT than a Cobra, anyway (ask my friend's). Around here, people see a snake on the side of the car and they won't race you. If they do, they want you to take off 1 tire, disconnect two spark plugs, and they start at the finish line, with the hit. :rollseyes

skate47e

Established Member
03-04 cobra's were way underated. Most of them dyno stock from 370 to 380 WHEEL hp.I believe their stock flywheel rating is 390, which should really be like 460..

Users who are viewing this thread