Ran into a 5th gen maro the other day. Results inside.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
So the other day exiting the freeway a new 10'+ camaro ss was waiting at the left turn red light. It is a double left turn, he was on the inside left and I was on the outer left turn lane. The two left hand turn lanes merge into three lanes, I shoot into the lane closet to the sidewalk and open her up in second gear to see if I would grab his attention. The next immediate light turns yellow and I get on the brakes to see if he would be game and possibly go from the light. Sure enough he was game! Being on my 275 goodyears, a hard first gear launch is out of the question. He punches it and I feather out of the hole as hard as I can without breaking traction. At the top of my first gear his rear bumper is at my side mirror. So here comes second gear for me, now I am in it WOT and the heaton is starting to whine. By the top of second gear, if I had to guesstimate I would say I was about 1.5-2 cars ahead. A pair of railroad tracks were quickly approaching and I had clearly won the race because I WAS behind and made up that much ground and my third gear is my passing gear.. So I shut her down and he didn't but after he passed me he shut it down and started cruising the speed limit. I caught up looked over to a thumbs up so I returned the gesture and we went on our ways and I dropped of my passenger to his 13' track pack 5.0. (I gave him a ride in the cobra and it bit him, bye bye jeep rubicon hello coyote! Traded it in.) So thats my story, I'm assuming the maro was stock. But you know what happens when you assume... :burnout:

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Nice kill. Always nice to show sportsmanship as well. Ive only ran into one before, however they seem to be popping up more and more now.

StangJason

Established Member
Nice Kill if stock I think they are high 12 second cars but I'm not too certain of that.

I got behind one (a 5th Gen maro) that had Hurst on the trunk and I was wondering what that was about if anyone knows.

650BlackVnm

Established Member
Nice kill. I haven't had the chance to go up against one yet, it seems like every time I come up on one, there not game.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Traction bars on a Cobra with IRS?

Good kill

Thanks everyone, ya the only thing I have done to the car since I bought it was install the rai. It came with the traction bars and a I forgot to add it has a Fore differential cover. Being IRS, wheel hop hasn't been a problem with the setup. If I kick the tail out around a corner, as soon as I correct the car it comes back to square very easily.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Nice kill. Always nice to show sportsmanship as well. Ive only ran into one before, however they seem to be popping up more and more now.

Thanks, ya he was a good sport about everything. Usually I only see the 6 cylinder RS ones. Those are a dime a dozen here. I see more 6 cyl maro's than a do the 6 cyl stangs. This was the first SS I tried playing with.

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Same here, alot of rs camaros. I ran one from 70-110ish before i was pullied and put about 2 lengths on it.

blkvenm97

Established Member
i'd like to play with a stock ss to see how I fare...but around here it's all RS maros all day.....:nonono: I saw a maro the other day and I get closer I'm thinkin "is it an SS is it an SS???" and of course it wasn't...a lot of times it's hard to tell the difference other than the badges :shrug:

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I see SS Camaros all the time and I can never get any of them to race me let alone look at me when I pull up next to them.:shrug:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
i'd like to play with a stock ss to see how I fare...but around here it's all RS maros all day.....:nonono: I saw a maro the other day and I get closer I'm thinkin "is it an SS is it an SS???" and of course it wasn't...a lot of times it's hard to tell the difference other than the badges :shrug:

Don't quote me but I think the exhaust tips are bigger on the SS.

Zulu10SS

Established Member
Nice Kill if stock I think they are high 12 second cars but I'm not too certain of that.

I got behind one (a 5th Gen maro) that had Hurst on the trunk and I was wondering what that was about if anyone knows.

prolly just a Hurst short throw shifter installed, im not sure if the factory installed hurst shifter cars come with those badging, however, they are like 15 bucks to pick up

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
The biggest give away is the brake calibers.. On the SS they say Brembo. Also on the front of the hood there is a air inlet on the SS model.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Nice kill. I ran a SS from a dig awhile back and put some lengths on him when I had my old setup.

Thanks. I was looking into a dragon throttle body, how do you like yours? How is the quality and finish on it? Does it make any noise like a whistling? My friends accufab whistles, it's kinda annoying.

racebronco2

Established Member
How do traction bars work bolt on to an irs? There is no housing movement so how do the work? Do you have pictures? I remember seeing one that had traction bars but it was only good for the track because it limited the a-arm movements, that was years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread