Ran into a 5th gen maro the other day. Results inside.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
How do traction bars work bolt on to an irs? There is no housing movement so how do the work? Do you have pictures? I remember seeing one that had traction bars but it was only good for the track because it limited the a-arm movements, that was years ago.

Well to be honest I never really thought about it on how they work. They came already installed (the previous owner called them traction bars), I know the front of them are welded to the car but I haven't payed much attention to how they are attached to the rear irs. I'll see if I can go under and take a pic or two.

04SloSnake

Its just an Eaton
Established Member
Thanks. I was looking into a dragon throttle body, how do you like yours? How is the quality and finish on it? Does it make any noise like a whistling? My friends accufab whistles, it's kinda annoying.

I have to be honest and say I'm not sure yet. I literally installed those parts, had it tuned, and deployed a couple days later. It worked really well for a couple days though and I didn't notice any whistling.

fearls1

Established Member
I really don't see the close to stock 5th gens as impressive kills. They are so damn heavy, there are some fast ones out there that are supercharged or heads/cam... But they dont impress me nor am I impressed when i beat one thats close to stock.

I would rather own a newer 5.0 over the newer SS. I'm sure most would agree if they are performance oriented over the "all show no go" culture.

See video for an honest review of the 5th gen SS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuIR2pEGiMs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

HumanWiki

Established Member
I show and go. =)

Road trips, drag race, road race (course), snow, rain and parking lots.

but.. I'm not exactly stock anymore.

The very best times 100% OEM were 12.6.. and I mean, hero times.. Most people are mid-low 13s.. Auto/Stick.. Very few people I know get upper 12s with a 100% stock SS in either driveline.

Last edited:

1sweet00SS

Established Member
I really don't see the close to stock 5th gens as impressive kills. They are so damn heavy, there are some fast ones out there that are supercharged or heads/cam... But they dont impress me nor am I impressed when i beat one thats close to stock.

I would rather own a newer 5.0 over the newer SS. I'm sure most would agree if they are performance oriented over the "all show no go" culture.

See video for an honest review of the 5th gen SS.
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Review - YouTube

IMy power mods: mild cam (222/226 115+3 LSA), BBK chrome LT headers, lid and catback.
Suspension: LCAs, shocks/springs, subframes.
Tires: 555r
Dynoed at 390/365 before the heavier LS7 clutch was installed.

My best that night was 12.8 at 111 mph with a 2.0 60ft.

You must not be impressed with your LS1 either. :shrug: Thus far, mod for mod, my LS3 is faster than my M6 2000 SS.... I love both of them

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
i'd like to play with a stock ss to see how I fare...but around here it's all RS maros all day.....:nonono: I saw a maro the other day and I get closer I'm thinkin "is it an SS is it an SS???" and of course it wasn't...a lot of times it's hard to tell the difference other than the badges :shrug:

Just so you know RS is no longer a trim level. RS is a package you can buy a camaro SS with the RS package (smoked tails, halo leds etc...) LT and LS are the v6 trim levels

fearls1

Established Member
You must not be impressed with your LS1 either. :shrug: Thus far, mod for mod, my LS3 is faster than my M6 2000 SS.... I love both of them

It's a decade later, it should be faster LOL!!
I love the LS3 engine, hate the package its in on the SS.

Too heavy, too many blind spots, interior is cheesy, see a gazillion of them every day.

Ive test drove a few, albeit they were stock, but just lacked overall appeal to me.

The 5.0 is the better car stock to stock... Period! And that's coming from an enthusiast, not a brand loyal idiot.

fearls1

Established Member
I show and go. =)

Road trips, drag race, road race (course), snow, rain and parking lots.

but.. I'm not exactly stock anymore.

The very best times 100% OEM were 12.6.. and I mean, hero times.. Most people are mid-low 13s.. Auto/Stick.. Very few people I know get upper 12s with a 100% stock SS in either driveline.

Exactly!you are NOT stock. Anything can be made fast and better with enough money dumped in it.

It's a decade later and there is hardly much improvement performance wise for he 5th gens over the 4th gens. In the real world and not the cyber race world, they both run low to mid 13's.

I know a lot of it is marketing and appealing to the masses... But they could have made it lighter with much better visibility. I thought my FBody had blindspots, lol.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Just so you know RS is no longer a trim level. RS is a package you can buy a camaro SS with the RS package (smoked tails, halo leds etc...) LT and LS are the v6 trim levels

So it is like the first generation ones again (67-69) where you could get an SS with the added RS package. I didn't know that, I thought all modern day RS's were 6 bangers.

HumanWiki

Established Member
So it is like the first generation ones again (67-69) where you could get an SS with the added RS package. I didn't know that, I thought all modern day RS's were 6 bangers.

If they have an RS on the grill/trunk, no mail slot up front, smaller tail pipes, etc.. Then they're the 6 banger RS only.

If you see an SS with a Red badge (not getting in to the other options as GM has muddied up that line starting with 2012 2SS level and what it comes with) then it's an SS/RS

White SS badges (excluding the heritage badge) are non-RS -- easiest identifier is the incandescent lamps over HIDs.

Last edited:

HumanWiki

Established Member
Exactly!you are NOT stock. Anything can be made fast and better with enough money dumped in it.

It's a decade later and there is hardly much improvement performance wise for he 5th gens over the 4th gens. In the real world and not the cyber race world, they both run low to mid 13's.

I know a lot of it is marketing and appealing to the masses... But they could have made it lighter with much better visibility. I thought my FBody had blindspots, lol.

:beer:

weighing in at 3,850lbs doesn't help..

My 2002 T/A, six speed, 245/45/16s, lid, free ram air mod, short shifter and axleback went 13.18 @ 108.9 with a 2.2 60' and that was the first manual car I ever drag raced so I wasn't exactly good at it..

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
one day i will find a willing 10+ SS to run...one day

my 01 hasn't eaten in years lol

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
You and I would be a close race. My best thus far is 11.97 @ 120.19.. Have to slip the clutch and baby the tires (lame OEM). :beer:

hell yeah we would be!
i have the same problem...gotta leave like a bitch and live with 2.0 short times on good days

She must be starving, you should feed her more often. :nonono:

oh she is hungry...i just live so far from a track now i don't have much time to race...when i lived in FL i was only 20mins from Bradenton

Mysticsnke

Established Member
I ran into a 2010+ diarrhea green SS yesterday with what looked like a bad imitation of a Nascar spoiler with the angle jacked 90 degrees, with two guys in their mid 30's installed in it each rockin blues brothers glasses. I pull up next to them and they do NOTHING! as always...

HumanWiki

Established Member
hell yeah we would be!
i have the same problem...gotta leave like a bitch and live with 2.0 short times on good days

Ditto.. 2.008 is my best 60 thus far.. I'll be tracking (hopefully) here in the near future.. now that I have all the suspension mods, I want to see if I can get a little more out of her.

S8ER01Z

Established Member

390rwhp in a 34xxlb 4th gen is going to be a lot faster than what he ran. I know you are just trying to troll him but you have to know better right?

Users who are viewing this thread