Raising the rev limiter?

Solo500

Established Member
Would it be safe to raise it and if so, by how much? Would the car benefit from it at all?

No my engine isn't built... just bolt ons.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I wouldn't. Why would you want to raise it? 7,000 is the max you should be shifting with a stock shortblock. Now if you had some cams and a short runner that would benefit it, sure, but not with just bolt ons...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
No benefit it's not making more horsepower at 7000 as opposed to 6500 on a pretty much stock setup! On my dyno passes it started to flatten out about 6K but held power to 6.5K. I have mine set to 6800~

Last edited:

Solo500

Established Member
Yeah. Thanks for the replies... just looking to get a little better time at the track. I shift at 6800rpm but thought a couple hundred rpm might help squeeze some ponies if the power still climbed.

My mods include delta force tune, x pipe, flows a/t, jba shorties, jlt, and all the rubber bushing changed.

(EDIT) Raced my friend yesterday with xpipe, spintechs, and tune and beat him by a little over a length... how much faster am I? Like half a second?
He wouldn't stop talking about how 'unimpressed' he was with my car.

Last edited:

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
(EDIT) Raced my friend yesterday with xpipe, spintechs, and tune and beat him by a little over a length... how much faster am I? Like half a second?
He wouldn't stop talking about how 'unimpressed' he was with my car.

what car does your friend have?

Solo500

Established Member
I do plan on doing this although I have a lot to pay for right now. I can't even afford to get my car aligned! I honestly don't know how you guys pay for all of your mods.... wife?

Anyways, you'll be hearing from me by the summer. Unless we can workout some karate kid scenario and I'll wash and wax your cars until we call it even. :rollseyes

Slap a custom Ported Short Runner from Nazty Performance -Your Source! and then take full advantage of the extended RPM!!!

You could SAFELY take the stock short block to 7200RPMS

With a Nazty Performance -Your Source! ported short runner, bring the limiter to ~7200RPMs and shift her ~7000RPMS! You will be rewarded with 2-3MPH and .2-3ths!

Naz

Tarball

Established Member
So with those you have over him, you have maybe 15whp on top of him. depending on how good your tune is, and the driver difference.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
A higher shift point WOULD help maximize horsepower under the curve, but I agree. Just shift it at the stock redline and let it rip. You will get more gains in lower ETs by decreasing the duration of your shift.... ie as fast as possible. Any fraction of a second that your clutch is in is a fraction of a second that you are coasting and not accelerating.

Users who are viewing this thread