Radiator Replacement / OEM no longer available

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Any recommendations on a good replacement radiator?
The OEM radiator is no longer available and mine (cough) :bash: doesn't hold coolant real well anymore.

Thanks in advance

ArizonaSnake

Established Member

SlowSVT

Established Member

3 row! :eek:

What does the depth of the core measure? I have a Fluidyne 2 row that measures 2" deep. Can you post pics?

Adding a 3rd row starts to get diminishing returns due to the added flow restrictions and the last row recieves hotter air from the first two rows.

Depending on the config I think I would lean more toward the 2 row over 3 row but i would certainly take it over a single row.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
It is pouring rain outside so I don't want to walk out to the garage... :sleeping:

How many row is the OEM?

Mishimoto lists a radiator that is an exact replacement for the 04 Cobra.
However it is also listed for MACH 1 and GT.

Did the Cobra actually use the same radiator as the MACH?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
there's a few guys that have just gone through this with the 2 mentioned aftermarket Rads, maybe they'll chime in, I remember reading the Mish is a pain in the ass to fit..

murked99cobra

Yeah...im slow
Established Member
I just swapped out a leaking fluidyne for a mishimoto. The steps that you need to take to make the mishi fit arent that difficult and its a plus that when it leaks mishimoto will replace it. Now with the fluidyne your SOL unless its within a year, if not it turns into a $400 piece of scrap. In my opinion the mishimoto is the one to go with, it may take some effort to install but if it fails your not out $400.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
The Fluidyne is not a "direct fit". It will hit the ABS block as well. Been there and done that one. Plus the Fluidyne uses the factory hard mounts and they don't allow it to move around as needed.

The Mishimoto that's in my car was a little bit of work to get in but like other said it wasn't that bad.

Read here and you will see. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/772762-my-mishimoto-radiator-install.html
Now in that thread Mishimoto states they are making a radiator just for the 03-04 Cobra. Sounds to me it's already available if you found it online.

SVTDice

Established Member
I have a question for you all with the upgraded radiators. Are you guys noticing a improvement in your temp's at all? During extended runs, etc? I'm thinking of getting an upgraded one. I know most of you guys are going to flame me to death for this but.....

I have somebody that is willing to sell me a LFP Pro comp race radiator for well under 300. So I'm thinking of picking it up. You guys got any input on this?

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I have a question for you all with the upgraded radiators. Are you guys noticing a improvement in your temp's at all? During extended runs, etc? I'm thinking of getting an upgraded one. I know most of you guys are going to flame me to death for this but.....

I have somebody that is willing to sell me a LFP Pro comp race radiator for well under 300. So I'm thinking of picking it up. You guys got any input on this?

I bought my car with a leaking Fluidyne so I don't have an OEM comparison for you.

Jefe

Established Member
Did you replace the radiator yet? Have you checked with Sanderson in Phoenix? They usually have everything for our cars and will ship it to Motorcraft here for free.

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I went with a Mishimoto radiator listed as OEM like replacement for the Cobra/Mach I.

I contacted American Muscle and one of their tech types said he runs the radiator in his Terminator and autocrosses with no problem.

The radiator is a direct fit for the OEM, its core is not quite as wide (deep). Plastic end tanks vice OEM aluminum.

No problems with it so far but not many miles on it yet. Right now I'm fighting damn fuel pump problems. :nonono:

Jefe

Established Member
What tuner? We have a dyno day Friday at ES Tuned, not sure if its ready or not

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Not sure what your question about tuner is?

My car originally had bad pumps. (Before I bought it)

Ford did the diagnosis... a non Ford repair shop installed used pumps.
Did not change fuel filter.
I know the source of the used pumps.

When trying to tune the car it was noticed my pumps were maxed out at 4500RPM. So we stopped and I took the car back home to sort out the issue.

Got NOS Pumps/Hat never used on eBay.

Changed fuel filter, dumped old filter and fuel came out looking like chocolate milk (tank side).
Looked in tank during NOS pump install and lots of debris. Apparently original pumps' filter screen (sock) totally disintigrated. Chunks of it all over the place. Completely dumped tank, dried it, and blew it all out with air.

Put it all back together and it ran great. (Once)

One test drive... pick up the tools... try and start the car and no pump action at all. Pushed it into the garage to avoid the impending thunderstorms and haven't gotten back to it yet.

:bash:

Last edited:

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Well we have success... so far.
The fuel pump issue was one of the PPRV delete kit hoses came off the pump.
All better now!

MalcolmV8

Established Member

I noticed no improvement at all but then I wasn't expecting much difference since I was not having any cooling issues on the OEM radiator. Only reason I replaced mine was it started leaking. Pretty awesome for a car with only 38k miles.

SLPRCTM

Established Member

This is a type-o. If you look up the part number on Fluidyne's website, it is a two row. I have this unit also. You will have to relocate the abs unit, relocate the intercooler reservoir and bend the support of the coolant reservoir. It does fit but will take some work. Works good for me. I do open track days and don't seem to have any heating issues. I also have a mishimoto in our 1994 gt race car. It works great but you can tell sitting it next to the fluidyne that the overall build quality is not so clean on the mishimoto. The best thing to do to prevent leaks besides flushing your system out is install a zinc anode where the drain valve is. This will help reduce the corrosion issues inside the system.

Users who are viewing this thread