"Race" from Cali to PA

PureStang

Established Member
So my friend proposed an idea of driving cars from california to pennsylvania in 2 person per car teams (probably 9 or 10 teams). But there are a few catches.

*$2500-$3000 limit for the race, which includes buying the car (tax, title, registration, insurance as well), flights to Cali, Gas, food, citations, and a couple of other things.

*Once the "race" begins, there is no stopping to sleep in a hotel at hotels, all sleeping would be apart of your trip on the road.

*No GPS, but planning your trip in the weeks leading up to the event is encouraged (as apposed to just drive with a map)

So, my question is: What car would you guys buy thats less than say $800?

So far i have thought of late 1980s-early 1990s Honda Civics (any model), Geo Metro, 90's carollas. don't forget, this car needs to run for over 4000 miles, with a a couple hours downtime at checkpoints (5 total check points.)

Last edited:

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Sounds like one of those ideas that sounds awesome in theory but blows balls in practice.

Driving across the entire country while only stopping for gas and food? Your back would be absolutely murdered by the time you got to the east coast.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Sounds like one of those ideas that sounds awesome in theory but blows balls in practice.

Driving across the entire country while only stopping for gas and food? Your back would be absolutely murdered by the time you got to the east coast.

did a drive from Oregon to Tennessee and back to Oregon in my Explorer Sport, (stopped overnight in Tennessee) but otherwise straight through.. (with 3 people, 1 sleeping in the back of the Explorer while the others were in the front) 4 people on the way back, so not much sleeping room)

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member
I-80 is an easy planned route for the two states. Once you hit Ohio, 80 merges with 90 and becomes a toll road. Somewhere south of Chicago there's another toll

Where (start/finish cities) and when would this proposed race take place? During the winter, I-80 can be shut down in the mountain regions of Rocky and Sierra.

Since I've done a trip like that twice I can say the two most broken down cars I've seen on the sides were late 80's early 90's chevys (cavalier/lumina/beretta/etc) and late 80's early 90's hondas (accord/civic)

If you would do this I would suggest one car, a Crown Vic, one with high miles dented to hell possibly an ex cop car.

Last edited:

LS2GTO

Established Member
How are you guys gonna enforce the whole 'no gps' rule?

Most cell phones now have GPS nowadays, so unless you ban phones from the trip (which will be insane given you're driving $800 cars cross country) is there any other way to make sure they don't just use the GPS on their phones every once in a while in the middle of the desert?

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Metro or Fiesta. Both get great gas mileage. Make sure to pack an extra quart of oil or too and make sure you are checking your level at pit stops. Also you are insane, but this sounds like a blast.

Edit: WTF is the prize? I didn't see it mentioned and no one asked.

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I second the crown vic cop car. but hell, your talking 1000 dollar car, and a drive from LA to washington DC is like 2700 miles, don't know the gas mileage of those cars but with no traffic and all that you are looking at a minimum of 500 dollars for gas alone, let alone the intelligent oil change and fluid check prior to taking off, not to mention most POS cars like that have shit for tires on them, either bald or really low quality or horrible dry rot. oh, and don't forget the time to get it registered, and I don't know if cali has an inspection requirement for newly purchased vehicles or not. 2 man teams can be done, but you are going to need food and monsters/5 hours. it adds up quickly, plus tolls, flat tires, or other problems. I would want the vehicle heavily vetted before I took off on the road. but big and comfy would definitely be a necessity. and I would recommend early spring because of the slightly warmer but not ungodly in the desert in the event your AC breaks or doesn't work, and easier on the car being a cooler temp as well.

and I would have to second, what's the prize, cause a cold beer and a pizza wouldn't cut it.

I'd rather drive my cobra both directions without a second thought though.

remember to carry a few extra fuel cans if the race is that important, make one stop worth much more.

my other thought would be a suburban or the like with plenty of inside room and a huge gas tank, not to mention the other benefits of a truck over most cars. my pops 350 suburban, I want to say a 99 had a 44 gallon gas tank and he said it got around 20 or 21.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sounds fun but not with a cheapo car.

Ill throw in a older 90-94 1st gen eclipse/talon/laser with the non-turbo 1.8l motor.

Dodge neons with 150k can be had for cheap. Put new tires and just have the coolant system pressure checked.

CRX would be my bet though, like the 89 last year of tbi iirc.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Sounds like this could be a fun idea. I'd also go with the Crown Vic, 98' or newer or 94-96 Caprice. Decent mileage if just cruising, lots of stretch room, and great reliability.

Also, +1 for the prize?

Nick13

GTSLOW
Established Member
My friend and I were talking about doing one of these, but starting in NJ and heading west, then back. This would be awesome, but you should keep radios in the cars to keep in contact. Spending all day on the road will get boring.

snaked

Attractive Member
Established Member
In for the prize... But I think it would be fun! ^ Gumball Rally is a great movie! Haha.

oldmodman

Established Member
Get a minivan.

One person drive and the other can sleep comfortably.

Plus you can carry a couple of coolers for food. Maybe install a big gas tank to minimize fuel stops.

Plus some of them get pretty good mileage.

And it seem like white ones never get pulled over. Don't forget to camouflage it.
With the youth soccer stickers, the "my kid etc" and the stupid family sticker.

Users who are viewing this thread