"Race" from Cali to PA

PureStang

Established Member
plan is to have this race in late april or may. details are still in the works for the $ cap. Everything is on the honor system. I mean, its not like its a bunch of random people no one knows...we all know each other from schools or car events.

no idea what the prize is. It's more about the experience than anything.

THE_STIG

Established Member
I would recommend doing the opposite route. Buy the cars here, (assuming you live in PA since you said flight to Cali) and then drive them to California and then just leave them. Would be easier and cheaper than to fly to california, try to buy cars, have no place to set the cars up, no idea how to register and insure the vehicles. That is just my opinion. FYI, if you are doing this, go the southern route, going north this time of year and you are bound to hit snow.

Not to mention, PA has very light vehicle inspection/emissions, I think you would find better cars here or at least cheaper.

If I was to do this, and I am probably alone on this, but I would buy a fun car to drive across country, not something boring. I'd go for a sports car, or an ambulance or something crazy. This wouldn't be fun in a 92 Civic but a 89 944 would be sweet.

Also, DO NOT paint up your cars linking all of you together, because if there is one asshole doing something stupid and there always is, the logo or name you guys drive under will spread quick and cops will bust you for racing across country. Ask real Gumballers how they know.

Last edited:

Hrbdizzle

Freight Train
Established Member
My family and I drove from NY to CA in a Subaru GLI I think it was? Hell I was 10. It had 4 doors and a hatch. Car made it no problems at all. Two boys Two parents and a dog.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
did a drive from Oregon to Tennessee and back to Oregon in my Explorer Sport, (stopped overnight in Tennessee) but otherwise straight through.. (with 3 people, 1 sleeping in the back of the Explorer while the others were in the front) 4 people on the way back, so not much sleeping room)

cross country in an 800 dollar car ? Nuh uh lol.

this! F that. uncomfortable and just asking to have it break down. its all fun and games till youre broken down in the middle of nowhere waiting on a tow truck. been there, done that. waited about 4 hours for a damn tow truck :bored:

cannonball run?

more like lemonball run!

Last

Established Member
Diesel box van with mattress and blackout curtains, MREs and drinks on board, 5 gallon buckets for toilets... We would win.

alex3610

Established Member
Cali to PA? Wouldn't finishing in a state that at least borders the coast make a little more sense? Seems kind of crazy to drive all the way across the country from CA just to stop 1 state short of the ocean.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Also, DO NOT paint up your cars linking all of you together, because if there is one asshole doing something stupid and there always is, the logo or name you guys drive under will spread quick and cops will bust you for racing across country. Ask real Gumballers how they know.

It should be a crime to make racing across country whilst obeying all laws of the road a crime.

PureStang

Established Member
The last destination is PA, but we will go from west coast to east coast (cape Hatteras).

Part of the competition is to buy, register, and insure the car in Cali.

I do like the mini van idea...lol

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Old Suburau station wagon

Buddy of mine had one and we road tripped everywhere on the East Coast in this thing, even in the winter

1983_subaru_gl_station_wagon8.jpg

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I think this should be coordinated with the LeMONS races! You drive cross-country in your beater and then enter in the race!!

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
I drove from dallas texas to norfolk va only stopping for fuel with quick piss times with my cousin in 22 hours 1370 miles logged. averaged around 60ish. time includes stops for fuel food and br. we sped for a good while on open stretches with good visability.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I would recommend doing the opposite route. Buy the cars here, (assuming you live in PA since you said flight to Cali) and then drive them to California and then just leave them. Would be easier and cheaper than to fly to california, try to buy cars, have no place to set the cars up, no idea how to register and insure the vehicles. That is just my opinion. FYI, if you are doing this, go the southern route, going north this time of year and you are bound to hit snow.

Not to mention, PA has very light vehicle inspection/emissions, I think you would find better cars here or at least cheaper.

If I was to do this, and I am probably alone on this, but I would buy a fun car to drive across country, not something boring. I'd go for a sports car, or an ambulance or something crazy. This wouldn't be fun in a 92 Civic but a 89 944 would be sweet.

Similar Idea but what if you buy the cars here drive to cali and the winner is who gets there first as well as who gets the most money for selling their car. The winner gets ALL the money from the sold cars

Users who are viewing this thread