Race Battery?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
It’s time for a new battery and I wanted I gather some opinions on race/lightweight batteries. I drive my Cobra about twice a month and do 1/2 mile races twice a year...cutting weight= faster. What are the pro’s and con’s associated with them?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
The Odyssey batteries don’t seem to save much weight though.

Jegs has a battery made by Braille that weighs less than 10 pounds.

Last edited:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I’m interested in one of these as well. What do you sacrifice? Do you have any voltage drop when running a lot of accessories?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The Odyssey batteries don’t seem to save much weight though.

Jegs has a battery made by Braille that weighs less than 10 pounds.

They do if you go to a much smaller size. An equivalent Odyssey will weigh more than a standard lead-acid. The ones I put in my F-350 each weighed 10 pounds more than the stock batteries they replaced. However, an Odyssey motorcycle battery will crank a Mustang which will save you quite a bit of weight without having to go to a LI-Ion battery.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I have used both Odyssey and Braille. So I can give some pro's and con's.
And some pics too. Of the 2 I used.

Braille Pro's: Cranking amps and weight.
Braille Con's: Cost and longevity with a short warranty, 2 year.

Odyssey Pro's: 3 year warranty. Good customer service.
Odyssey Con's: weight.

Ok with that said. If every pound counts the Braille is hard to beat but at mid $300's isn't not cheap. The Odyssey at mid $200's is a monster, hands down wipe's it's ass with that garbage red top crap.

FYI: the braille lasted 2 years. the Odyssey is still kicking, 7+ years later. I use it to clean/pulse
DSC05349.JPG

DSC05350.JPG
DSC05351.JPG

injectors now and still holds a charge. My 2 cents

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Yep as soon as the warranty runs out on my local chain battery that's in my cobra now. I am picking up a new Odyssey 1200p.

Both the Odyssey and Braille were used in full interior cars. i.e Stereo,amps, heat,AC, full dash,airbags. And were stored on chargers(trickle) when not in use.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I have used both Odyssey and Braille. So I can give some pro's and con's.
And some pics too. Of the 2 I used.

Braille Pro's: Cranking amps and weight.
Braille Con's: Cost and longevity with a short warranty, 2 year.

Odyssey Pro's: 3 year warranty. Good customer service.
Odyssey Con's: weight.

Ok with that said. If every pound counts the Braille is hard to beat but at mid $300's isn't not cheap. The Odyssey at mid $200's is a monster, hands down wipe's it's ass with that garbage red top crap.

FYI: the braille lasted 2 years. the Odyssey is still kicking, 7+ years later. I use it to clean/pulse
injectors now and still holds a charge. My 2 cents
I assume the two batteries in the pictures were the ones in your Cobra at one time?

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
No sorry it was in a different car. 06 350z car with all the stock stuff+ a TT kit that retained AC. I bought the Braille first and tracked that crap out of it along with roll racing. After it starting loosing it's charge I picked up the Odyssey.

The Odyssey lived through the ending of the V6 and the start of the tt LS swap.
When I sold the 350z 06/17 to a buddy, I kept the Odyssey battery, shiftier knob and steering wheel.

I picked up my cobra in 7/17 and it came with a new local chain battery (2/17) But as soon as it acts up it's getting replaced by an Odyssey 1200p for sure.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Last summer I just replaced an odyssey, that was new in 2005. Good service life. I seriously considered a LI-ion replacement, decided not to because of cost, as the car is not used competitively.

Currently have 2 cars with OEM LI-ion batteries, one is now 3 years old. Working fine. The LI-ion batteries are much lighter. The downside is cost.

Not a big expense, but if you got the LI-ion route, it does require a specific charger. I got chargers from Ctek.

GodStang

Established Member
I ran an Odyssey. It was 30lbs lighter than my normal battery. I had the 1 gallon BLOWN03 Intercooler tank with the Odyssey battery mount. it was great. The only reason I pulled it was the new super charger is on that side.

Here is an older picture of the setup before the new supercharger.

IMG_0866.JPG

Soap

Established Member
I've been using Odyssey PC680 for over 10 years now, great battery. My friend used a Braille and was not happy with it. Didn't hold a charge worth a damn.

If you really want to go all out you should look into Lithium Pros. Their equivalent to the PC680 weighs less than 4 pounds. Only downside is that it costs 5 times as much.

--Joe

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I've had Odyssey and have nothing negative to say about them. I am currently running a XS Power battery. They are heavy but everything i read says they are among the best. I relocated my battery to the trunk and wanted to make sure i didn't have a slow/weak crank so i sacrificed weight for power.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I've been using Odyssey PC680 for over 10 years now, great battery. My friend used a Braille and was not happy with it. Didn't hold a charge worth a damn.

If you really want to go all out you should look into Lithium Pros. Their equivalent to the PC680 weighs less than 4 pounds. Only downside is that it costs 5 times as much.

--Joe
So you’re saying I can run the pc680, which is lighter and cheaper than my current interstate, without any drawbacks? I know little about batteries, but wouldn’t you sacrifice stored energy opposed to a bigger unit?

Soap

Established Member
The only stored energy is just for startup, after that the car runs off the alternator. I only drive between April-October so cold weather cranking isn't a concern of mine. If you do daily drive in cold weather then I would not get a smaller/lighter race battery of any brand.

--Joe

IllCobra

Established Member
I was set on going with a red top optima but this thread has me thinking now. Would an Odyssey battery be good for a daily driven car? Where is the best place to buy them?

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
The only stored energy is just for startup, after that the car runs off the alternator. I only drive between April-October so cold weather cranking isn't a concern of mine. If you do daily drive in cold weather then I would not get a smaller/lighter race battery of any brand.

--Joe
Thanks for the response Joe, I’ve noticed you’re very knowledgeable. I too run my car almost the exact season you do. So cold weather isn’t much of a factor. What is though is running my IC pump and bottle heater if needed in between passes. Would stored energy come into play when doing something like this?

Users who are viewing this thread