Questions for turbo plans

98fourvalve

Established Member
I'm going to be adding a turbo to my car in the next few months along with a bunch of other mods that are on my list. Turbo is of course the big one the rest I have under control. which brings me to my questions I've searched for the most part but couldn't find what I was looking for.

1. My car has comp 106400 cams. How bad are these going to affect #'s?

2. I haven't ran into it until now but I've been told by some people lately that the 96-98 ECU's are a PITA to tune. Any truth to this? Like I said I haven't heard this until recently when browsing turbo info for it.

3. I'm looking for roughly 550-600rwhp. Not past 600.
A. Anyone have a boost estimate to reach this goal with my engine?

B. Fuel wise I'm looking at a 340lph with a BAP with 60# injectors. Is this enough? I've heard both sides of the spectrum for the fuel pump. If the consensus is the 340 is not enough I'll throw a 400 in it.

4. IF you were in Indiana where would you go to tune it? I'm not opposed to driving out of state.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I'm going to be adding a turbo to my car in the next few months along with a bunch of other mods that are on my list. Turbo is of course the big one the rest I have under control. which brings me to my questions I've searched for the most part but couldn't find what I was looking for.

not too bad, but obviously not the best choice for a turbo
2. I haven't ran into it until now but I've been told by some people lately that the 96-98 ECU's are a PITA to tune. Any truth to this? Like I said I haven't heard this until recently when browsing turbo info for it.
not a PITA at all, I assume you're referring to the trouble that 98saleencobra had? that's an issue I had never heard of before his car- so I wouldn't worry about it
too many variables setup wise to answer that question but 10 psi on a well thought out setup should get it done with ease
B. Fuel wise I'm looking at a 340lph with a BAP with 60# injectors. Is this enough? I've heard both sides of the spectrum for the fuel pump. If the consensus is the 340 is not enough I'll throw a 400 in it.
you'll be close on the 340. the injectors will be ok for that level cause it's turbo but the pump may be cutting it close
4. IF you were in Indiana where would you go to tune it? I'm not opposed to driving out of state.

read above in bold

98fourvalve

Established Member
Don't termies use those cams In there blower setups,

What compression do you plan on running

I haven't really seen anyone run a turbo with these cams. I've seen a bunch of termies run comp106460s with their blowers.

Comp ratio is around 10:1 I forget exactly. It's been about a year since I built my engine.

Encased-

The cams I knew weren't optimal for a turbo but I figured I'd leave them in unless they were going to seriously hinder performance. The way I was thinking is at that power level it wouldn't really matter what cams I had as I could adjust boost levels to adjust it. If I ever want more power I imagine it would be where I'd run into issues.

I was actually unaware of the issue with 98saleencobra. I had heard from some tuners in my area they are a PITA to tune which was news to me as I like to think I know a good amount about my car. I'll just consider that a myth and not worry about it.

That's what I was figuring about boost as well. I don't think I'll need to go over 10-12 lbs but wanted some opinions. Looks like most people run a 70 or 76mm turbo. Would the bigger 76 be better for the big bore?

So it looks like I'll throw a 400lph fuel pump in. Should'nt be a big deal as right now I have a 255 in and am just planning out at this stage what I'm going to run.

Thanks for the feedback both of you.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
terrible for your combo, slow spooling and will drive terribly with a high rear gear

This will not be a problem

15psi will get you there with the right cams.

I think you'll need more than a 340

Precision Autosports near Dayton, Ohio

Last edited:

98fourvalve

Established Member
Would I be better off slapping a centri blower on instead of a turbo? I've never had a turbo on a mustang and always wanted one, but if I'd be better going back to a blower I'll go that route.

Also, Todd if you still can spec out cams PM me and I'll look into taking these out and selling them.

I'll check into precision auto. That's definitely within driving distance.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Would I be better off slapping a centri blower on instead of a turbo? I've never had a turbo on a mustang and always wanted one, but if I'd be better going back to a blower I'll go that route.

Also, Todd if you still can spec out cams PM me and I'll look into taking these out and selling them.

I'll check into precision auto. That's definitely within driving distance.

A centri will be better with a manual trans IMO and a helluva lot easier to install.

goat-ee

Established Member
The hard to tune on 96-98's is incorrect. As far as getting to 600rwhp, for every atmosphere (14.7psi) you will double horsepower (minus drive train loss and a million other factors). So on our cars,your looking in the 15psi range to meet your goals. If you go turbo, go quality. And oddly enough I have a 62mm Hellion for sale that comes close to your needs in the market section!!!

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
being that we hardly know anything about his motor- where is this 15psi coming from? I've built a C head motor with low compression that made 700rwhp on a mustang dyno with 15psi. there's too many factors to guess what psi OP. But I can say that chasing numbers usually ends in either heartbreak or brokeassedness

goat-ee

Established Member
being that we hardly know anything about his motor- where is this 15psi coming from? I've built a C head motor with low compression that made 700rwhp on a mustang dyno with 15psi. there's too many factors to guess what psi OP. But I can say that chasing numbers usually ends in either heartbreak or brokeassedness

He has his mods in his signature. I would be shocked if he made 600 on 10psi with a B-head car. But as you say, every build is different and it's just a BS dyno number anyway!! He would have to take it to the track and get a trap for the real number. Besides you started the conversation of what psi when you mentioned 10psi to make 600hp with ease!! lol :beer:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
He has his mods in his signature. I would be shocked if he made 600 on 10psi with a B-head car. But as you say, every build is different and it's just a BS dyno number anyway!! He would have to take it to the track and get a trap for the real number. Besides you started the conversation of what psi when you mentioned 10psi to make 600hp with ease!! lol :beer:

10 psi on a motor built for the setup will make 600 easy greasy. all he has listed is a block and B heads- which I will admit are not the best for making power with little effort.

98fourvalve

Established Member
important mods as follow

3.700 boss block. fully forged. around 10:1 comp
B heads
comp 106400s
short runner intake with IIRC 1.5 inches removed.
long tubes
pretty much every other bolt on.

As far as boost to run I was just looking for a ball park #. I know there are too many variables. Because honestly if it doesn't hit 550 on a certain amount of boost I can always up the boost as the engine can handle it. I don't think hitting 500 in it will be an issue with 10lbs but I could be wrong. Either way I guess we will see in a couple months.

It currently has a N/A tune which isn't 100% finished as it's leaving some on the table. Car traps around 114 in full trim as it sits right now. I don't have dyno numbers.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'll bet it takes over 10psi. My old motor with 9.3:1 compression, ported B heads with stock cams and a shortrunner took 20psi from a 76mm to hit 600rwhp/630rwtq and the tuner wasn't surprised it took that much boost to reach those numbers.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I'll bet it takes over 10psi. My old motor with 9.3:1 compression, ported B heads with stock cams and a shortrunner took 20psi from a 76mm to hit 600rwhp/630rwtq and the tuner wasn't surprised it took that much boost to reach those numbers.

will be very much interested to see what C heads, more CR, and cams do for your numbers- I think you'll be pleased and running much less than 20 psi. 20 psi to hit 600 sucks (no offense meant of course) and I'm glad you're getting a new combo

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
will be very much interested to see what C heads, more CR, and cams do for your numbers- I think you'll be pleased and running much less than 20 psi. 20 psi to hit 600 sucks (no offense meant of course) and I'm glad you're getting a new combo

Oh believe me, I know. The engine was sick, evidenced by how it gave up the ghost shortly after it was tuned. Ironically, when I tore it down I figured out why it always broke up at high RPM and we never got a clean run on the dyno above 5krpm. The bearing material from the rods and mains was collecting on the crankshaft position sensor and consequently it wasn't getting good signal at high RPM.

It's easy for people to get down on my old setup, myself included but I honestly don't know the numbers that my car would have ever actually made. Something to think about - the 600rwhp/630rwtq number came from a pull that stopped at 4800rpm. Another 2000rpm would have done a lot to improve those numbers. It probably would have been a strong running car if MMR hadn't dropped the ball on the shortblock and it wasn't already eating itself by the time I made it to the dyno.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It probably would have been a strong running car if MMR hadn't dropped the ball on the shortblock and it wasn't already eating itself by the time I made it to the dyno.

I'm not surprised.

We had a local guy here make 650rw thru a TH400 with 15psi (stock cams, 9.2:1cr, B heads, short runner). I degreed the cams to have the power coming in earlier and it peaked at 6300.

98fourvalve

Established Member

if it takes 20psi to hit that with my car id go out back and shoot it.

when are you having the new engine up and running to compare to that setup? im interested in seeing the difference.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
if it takes 20psi to hit that with my car id go out back and shoot it.

when are you having the new engine up and running to compare to that setup? im interested in seeing the difference.

It'll be in and tuned sometime this spring. Little motivation with the -45 degree temps and 3 foot snow drifts here lately :)

98fourvalve

Established Member
It'll be in and tuned sometime this spring. Little motivation with the -45 degree temps and 3 foot snow drifts here lately :)

I know exactly what you mean. Luckily this weekend is supposed to be in the +40s. Or so the uneducated guy on tv says.

Users who are viewing this thread