Question on polishing exhaust.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
A3464351-C0A8-4909-A17D-36E139F7B7D2.jpeg
Hey men, I’m painfully cleaning up the exhaust. I’m probably not using the right tools, process, etc….keep that in mind. I’m also no metal worker. I want to know these “copper” looking areas of my exhaust tip won’t sand out? I can’t get these areas to shine up and match the normal stainless look. Is this due to heat? Due to the sand paper I’m using? I’ve tried dry sanding, wet sanding, by hand, using my drill. I’ve tried different grits (from 80-320 for now). It’s bothering me….I hope what I’m talking about is seen in the picture….

01yellercobra

Established Member
You need to get them stripped. The copper is used like body filler before chrome. Get them stripped then polish up the stainless.

I had it done on mine a couple years ago and they still look good.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You shouldn't polish the tips (my wife tells me that all the time, lol) with sand paper, they're chrome. The stainless pipes, yes.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
You shouldn't polish the tips (my wife tells me that all the time, lol) with sand paper, they're chrome. The stainless pipes, yes.
I would not have but they were pitted and rusted. I went ahead and started sanding them knowing they couldn’t get worse.

I’ll have to post a picture of the other one and you’ll understand.

I’ll have to look into getting these fully stripped somewhere. Damn.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Chrome, use 0000 stainless Steel wool and a heavy cut metal polish like Chemical Guys. Then buff to a shine with microfiber.

To fix the situation, just do a nasty burnout and get them covered in rubber. I clean mine off every few years hahahaha.

C1A20942-F792-4876-8B34-B018DABCAECC.jpeg

97720164-BE11-4BF5-8CCD-5D9B2330B3B1.jpeg

01yellercobra

Established Member
The tips are also stainless under the chrome. I was going to have mine rechromed because they were done. The guy called me after they were stripped and told me they were the same material as the rest of the pipe. So I had him polish them to see how it would turn out. They're still nice and shiny.

Look for a powder coating or polishing shop. They should have a line on places that can strip them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread