question on head cooling mod

dgksleeper

Established Member
My tuner refused to install the head cooloing mod as he says it's overrated and not needed. Any thoughts guys ?? Now that I believe i Have a rod noise of some sort, I wonder if that would have helped. He says there way overhyped on the forums and if I brought it he would not install it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This has been debated a bunch.I did it feeling it can`t hurt and seems to make sense in theory.BTW,I did the even-flo.

03mgmcobra

Established Member
i don't have it, but will get it soon. i'll bet many may chime in soon, telling you your tuner is a fool for saying this.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
i don't have it, but will get it soon. i'll bet many may chime in soon, telling you your tuner is a fool for saying this.

I'll jump in line as the 1st one. You probably don't need one on a stock motor, but once you start adding the mods, modding the cooling system is essential (IMHO). I went with the Evenflow cooling mod and it works great...:beer:

dgksleeper

Established Member
He absolutley refuses to install them. I did get a H/E the gas 2 fans on it but I forgot the name of it. It was 900 installed 300 labor. Seemed high but he swears by it. The tuner was Lidio from Alternative, he seems to know his stuff but...

Tractionless1

Established Member
He absolutley refuses to install them. I did get a H/E the gas 2 fans on it but I forgot the name of it. It was 900 installed 300 labor. Seemed high but he swears by it. The tuner was Lidio from Alternative, he seems to know his stuff but...

Funny MOST will say you wasted your money on the fans for the HE. I will say you wasted your money on both. And you should have bought the head cooling mod. For $400 less you could have had a KC and WAY lower IAT2's but your tuner probably hates those too!! :rolleyes:

dgksleeper

Established Member
Whats a KC ? Why would the fans be a waste of money ? The tuner is Lidio from Alternative Auto in Michign. I have the head cooling mod and will prolly put it on anyway now but if you haven't read my other thread my car is knocking or something after mods installed and tune . All within 12 hours.

Funny MOST will say you wasted your money on the fans for the HE. I will say you wasted your money on both. And you should have bought the head cooling mod. For $400 less you could have had a KC and WAY lower IAT2's but your tuner probably hates those too!! :rolleyes:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Just like Brad said, the Head cooling mod has been debated and it's not been proven, however, in theory it makes sense..it is not a must in my tuner's eyes...however, when my blower is off, it will be goin' on, lol...

Last edited:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as the cooling mod goes... I can't see how it could hurt anything. I do think there's a good chance that it doesn't do much either though... but at this point it is highly accepted that it is a must have and it probably will remain that way for many years on the forums.

What I don't understand is how many people won't even bat an eye to spend $150-200 dollars and undergo a major install to get the HC mod in there but don't even think to do something as simple as change the thermostat. Running my stat will drop the temps of the coolant entering the heads by a good 8-15* or even more at WOT :shrug:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
Whats a KC ? Why would the fans be a waste of money ? The tuner is Lidio from Alternative Auto in Michign. I have the head cooling mod and will prolly put it on anyway now but if you haven't read my other thread my car is knocking or something after mods installed and tune . All within 12 hours.

KC = killer chiller I beleive it's hooked up to your a/c lines to cool the intercooler fluid. Considering how many people blow their motors from expanding stock pistons due to high engine heat and the tight piston to cylinder wall clearance I can't see why anyone would say it's a waste. Unless they just want to sell you other more expensive equipment. I put a evenflow on my car. It's what $125 and a simple install. Totally worth it. I think the heat exchanger fans are known to block air flow and thus at speed hinder more than help. Fans would be good at idle only really which isn't much benefit.

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
As far as the cooling mod goes... I can't see how it could hurt anything. I do think there's a good chance that it doesn't do much either though... but at this point it is highly accepted that it is a must have and it probably will remain that way for many years on the forums.

What I don't understand is how many people won't even bat an eye to spend $150-200 dollars and undergo a major install to get the HC mod in there but don't even think to do something as simple as change the thermostat. Running my stat will drop the temps of the coolant entering the heads by a good 8-15* or even more at WOT :shrug:

Agreed 100%. Never seen anything showing the HCM actually helps at all, I'd much rather get a new Stat from Joel.

camp upshur

Established Member
jmproductions: "What I don't understand is how many people won't even bat an eye to spend $150-200 dollars and undergo a major install to get the HC mod in there but don't even think to do something as simple as change the thermostat. Running my stat will drop the temps of the coolant entering the heads by a good 8-15* or even more at WOT "

jmproductions you make a well thought thermostat and the efficacy of the head cooling mod may never be fully resolved on a forum. But for the benefit of the original poster I would like to point out that each is intended to do a *Different* thing.

Most utilize a thermostat to control coolant system temperature or perhaps control flow overall flow rate by varied orafice sizing.

A head cooling mod is utilized to do neither. The head cooling mod's intent is to relieve trapped superheated coolant and/or enhance localized coolant circulation regardless of overall cooling system temperatures or system flow rates as measured at the thermostat.

Simply stated the thermostat is for systemic control and the head cooling mod is for localized control.

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
Head cooling mod = localized temp control

jmproductions: "What I don't understand is how many people won't even bat an eye to spend $150-200 dollars and undergo a major install to get the HC mod in there but don't even think to do something as simple as change the thermostat. Running my stat will drop the temps of the coolant entering the heads by a good 8-15* or even more at WOT "

jmproductions you make a well thought thermostat and the efficacy of the head cooling mod may never be fully resolved on a forum. But for the benefit of the original poster I would like to point out that each is intended to do a *Different* thing.

Most utilize a thermostat to control coolant system temperature or perhaps control flow overall flow rate by varied orafice sizing.

A head cooling mod is utilized to do neither. The head cooling mod's intent is to relieve trapped superheated coolant and/or enhance localized coolant circulation regardless of overall cooling system temperatures or system flow rates as measured at the thermostat.

Simply stated the thermostat is for systemic control and the head cooling mod is for localized control.

Most accurate staetment yet. BTW: if there wasn't any underlying issues with the cooling on the Ford heads then why the mutiple revisions to the head within the 2003-2005 years? Why make a dedicated Driver's side casting after 2002? I'm not talking about major differences in design like the B vs C heads, but new revisions to the existing design. Although the head cooling mod is not a cure all, if there wasn't an underlying cooling problem that needed attention, then the Jan 05 release heads shouldn't be needed either. Ford doesn't tool up and re-cast heads for nothing.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
jmproductions you make a well thought thermostat and the efficacy of the head cooling mod may never be fully resolved on a forum.

I think the majority of us know the purpose of the HCM, we have just yet to see any definative results proving it works. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be resolved on the forums, all it takes is a simple test showing the temps of those cylinders before and after.

Most accurate staetment yet. BTW: if there wasn't any underlying issues with the cooling on the Ford heads then why the mutiple revisions to the head within the 2003-2005 years? Why make a dedicated Driver's side casting after 2002? I'm not talking about major differences in design like the B vs C heads, but new revisions to the existing design. Although the head cooling mod is not a cure all, if there wasn't an underlying cooling problem that needed attention, then the Jan 05 release heads shouldn't be needed either. Ford doesn't tool up and re-cast heads for nothing.

There's no doubt the heads could use the revisions, what everybody is skeptical of is that the HCM actually works. There has never been any data to prove it actually helps those cylinders.

bigbadwolff66

Established Member
Call Rick at Amazon Racing and ask him about before/after cylinder head temp readings that were taken with an infrared heat gun.

Even Flow has done temp testing in the rear D/S cylinder head area (both metal temp and water temp) and has data on the rise in temp under boost pressue (14PSI) during WOT 3-4th gear pulls (@3000RPM to Redline)

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Call Rick at Amazon Racing and ask him about before/after cylinder head temp readings that were taken with an infrared heat gun.

Even Flow has done temp testing in the rear D/S cylinder head area (both metal temp and water temp) and has data on the rise in temp under boost pressue (14PSI) during WOT 3-4th gear pulls (@3000RPM to Redline)

I'll ask Rick for the data when I'm at the shop next week. As for Even Flow I'd like to see the results of those tests.

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Just a copy & paste from Evenflow's website.

Even Flow Cooling has used the following instruments during its temperature testing:
Fluke 78 digitl multimeter with temp probe
Raytek Infra-red temperaure gun
Diablo Predator handheld tuner/datalogger
Innovate LM-1 wideband O2 sensors
Innovate LM-3 datalogging input device
Laptop computer with Innovate datalogging software
Autometer gauges

During our product development and testing we have simultaneously monitored coolant temp in 2 different locations, Mass air voltage, boost pressure, rear cylinder head surface temp, A/F ratio on both cylinder banks, time under boost, RPM, injector duty cycle, and Fuel pump duty cycle. We have recorded spikes of 90 degrees in cylinder head surface temp and 25 degree increases in coolant temp at the driver's side rear cylinder head (03 cobra) in JUST 7 SECONDS UNDER 14 PSI of boost during 3rd/4th gear pulls.
We have done substantial research on the various Cobra, Marauder, Mach 1 cooling systems. We can tell you what head cooling mods will fit on what year engines and also what clearance issues you may run into on different year engines.

We understand that others have come up with their own head cooling mods and some have even gone so far as to copy our base design. With 2 solid years of dealing with head cooling mods on Cobras, Marauders, and Mach 1s, we have the knowledge and experience to tell you what works and why it works. IF THEY CAN'T TELL YOU HOW THE COOLING SYSTEMS FLOWS, WHY THE COOLING MOD WORKS, HOW IT FITS, OR IF THERE WILL BE INSTALLATION ISSUES ON DIFFERENT YEAR VEHICLES, THEN THEY HAVEN'T DONE THE RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT THAT WE HAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread