Established Member
Just go straight to offending everyone and get this:
2011-12-19%2018.43.47.jpg

Blown 89

Established Member
Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
Johnny Walker Blue Label is about as expensive as you would want to go for a group of non-scotch drinkers. In fact, save a lot of money over the cost of the Blue Label, and give them Johnny Walker Black Label, which is excellent. Single Malt Scotch whisky is a waste except on people who have long ago developed a taste for scotch and who would enjoy the experience.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
Hibiki- https://dekanta.com/store/hibiki-12-years-old/?utm_campaign=adwords2

My friend is a Scotch enthusiast, and given that Scotch has to be from Scotland, he said that this Whiskey from Japan is his favorite among all the Scotch he has. I've tried a lot of his and I can vouch that it is really good.

Couldn't find this one, but I tried the Hibiki blended whisky today (79.99 around here) and it was pretty damn good. Going to keep my eye out for the 15yr single.

That being said, I'm a Glenfiddich guy. 12yr is my everyday Scotch, but the 15yr is my favorite (like it even more than the 18yr and the 21yr Glenfiddich).

MysticRob

Established Member
Thanks to VaporGT for starting this thread. I've never gotten above a good cabernet grape juice, but have wanted to graduate up to some decent spirits. I suppose it's because I'm about as white as they come, having come from cave-dwelling old world ancestry (1700s English in there somewhere), but I've gravitated toward wanting to try some good scotches, and you've given me some good names to research. Because I was born a poor black child, I'm thinking something in the range of $50 to start, so the The Balvenie (12 year) DoubleWood jumps out at me. I'll keep researching, but definitely wanted to thank everyone for their input!!

Last edited:

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Who drinks scotch?

I just signed out of Fort Lewis, WA after six years of turning wrenches for First Special Forces Group. I am on my way overseas again in a couple weeks, so I decided to splurge and pick up a bottle of Balvenie DoubleWood scotch. Does anyone have a taste for this stuff? I know I've tasted it before, so I know I will at least like it. Are there any good ideas for serving it?

alicecooper

Established Member
I always have mine in a glass with some cooling stones. I've never tried that Scotch, but I have Glenfiddich 12 and that is the only way I drink it.

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I just signed out of Fort Lewis, WA after six years of turning wrenches for First Special Forces Group. I am on my way overseas again in a couple weeks, so I decided to splurge and pick up a bottle of Balvenie DoubleWood scotch. Does anyone have a taste for this stuff? I know I've tasted it before, so I know I will at least like it. Are there any good ideas for serving it?

Love DoubleWood. Good choice. In my opinion it is their best value offering. I've tried the 14 and 16 year stuff; not worth it imho. I usually have the 12 year with an ice ball so it doesn't get too watered-down. Otherwise you're better off drinking Johnnie Black and calling it a day!

Also, if you get a chance, try Aberlour A'bunadh. Should cost about $10-$15 more than the Balvenie. It is cask strength so be careful or it can knock you on your ass. Ask me how I know!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
There was just a thread on this that had some good posts and info. Shouldn't be too far back.

MysticRob

Established Member
Yeah, there was a recent thread on this, and it's where I first heard of the Doublewood. I researched it quite and bit and want to try it but am concerned I won't like it after I spend that much money on it. I have little experience with any hard liquor beyond the occasional Jack Daniels with some coke or ice. Don't really like that much so I'm apprehensive about spending any money on Balvenie. I'm a big wino and occasional beer drinker but not much else.

That said, I saw where BevMo (Beverages and More) has it for $58 here in CA. The exact same bottle is only $45 at Trader Joe's. I just happened to see it yesterday while there, and was surprised TJ's has a decent selection of other scotches there too. Anyway, figured I'd mention how much cheaper it is at TJ's if you have one around.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
You really have to have a good palate to appreciate fine scotch. I have taste buds like a hooker's snatch, so anything over $60 a bottle is wasted on me.

Blown 89

Established Member
I love their Doublewood. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of those spirit aerators when you're at the store

Users who are viewing this thread