Q & A Session... - Ask a Ford Dealer

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
I'll get with you tomorrow when I get to work.

40-50% down should get you bought anywhere.

That takes away the high risk factor because you have so much "skin in the game".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks dude!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

LS2GTO

Established Member
I have an administrative fee, and my family pays it. Dealers use it on different aspects of the store. I use mine to fund quarterly employee appreciation days.

Thank you for being honest, both with this question and the others. But this is exactly what irks me about dealers, they charge people these "doc fees" that you say are required for the work that is necessary to sell a car, but then you don't actually use that money to pay someone for said work...and instead you use it as profit for "fun" stuff. And I know that as a business you can charge whatever you want for a service or product and then use that money however you want, but it's just the way they put it that irks me especially when they say stuff like "you're taking food of my family's table by trying to negotiate this extra fee" when in fact it's not.

Sorry to go slightly off topic here and I don't mean this as anything against you or your establishment, just good to hear the truth sometimes and really see how things work.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thank you for being honest, both with this question and the others. But this is exactly what irks me about dealers, they charge people these "doc fees" that you say are required for the work that is necessary to sell a car, but then you don't actually use that money to pay someone for said work...and instead you use it as profit for "fun" stuff. And I know that as a business you can charge whatever you want for a service or product and then use that money however you want, but it's just the way they put it that irks me especially when they say stuff like "you're taking food of my family's table by trying to negotiate this extra fee" when in fact it's not.

Sorry to go slightly off topic here and I don't mean this as anything against you or your establishment, just good to hear the truth sometimes and really see how things work.

Well I mean, technically any dollar we make goes towards "spinning the paperwork" etc...

All of my office people are on salary, so really, on paper I could charge their salary to that account; thus it pays for them.

Just all how you want to look at it.

noco5.0

Established Member
Why do some dealers continue to insist on charging ADMs for cars such as the Hellcat. It seems like nationally most of these cars are selling at MSRP to slightly below, but some dealers are still hanging on to market adjustments in hopes that there are some really uninformed buyers out there. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Thanks for the thread.

StangMan04

Established Member
Why do some dealers continue to insist on charging ADMs for cars such as the Hellcat. It seems like nationally most of these cars are selling at MSRP to slightly below, but some dealers are still hanging on to market adjustments in hopes that there are some really uninformed buyers out there. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on it. Thanks for the thread.

They are just trying to make as much money as they can from a limited production vehicle. Once the vehicle is at their dealership, they can charge what they like I assume. If you don't want to buy it, that is fine. Hopefully more feel the same way and they will remove it when it continues to sit (I am sure someone with $ would buy it if not many are in the area available). Local dealer to me had a 50th anniversary Mustang and they had a huge ADM on it. It sat and sat. Eventually they were trying to sell it at invoice I was told. Never interested in one, so who knows if that was true.

I hate ADMs, but if I could sell something for more than suggested price/retail, you bet I would do it as well.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

They charge it because people will pay it.

I know on SVTP everyone buys at invoice... but in reality, there are a ton of people that pay hefty ADMs on the newest vehicle out. Heck, even on leftover cars people pay ADM's.

I ordered a 2014 GT500, had it for 2 years to the day and put a little under 1000 miles on it. A guy called from Alabama wanting to buy it because it was the last grey/black car with a glass roof left; I told him it wasn't for sale. He said he would give $70k for it ($6k over MSRP), so I sold it.

They are just trying to make as much money as they can from a limited production vehicle. Once the vehicle is at their dealership, they can charge what they like I assume. If you don't want to buy it, that is fine. Hopefully more feel the same way and they will remove it when it continues to sit (I am sure someone with $ would buy it if not many are in the area available). Local dealer to me had a 50th anniversary Mustang and they had a huge ADM on it. It sat and sat. Eventually they were trying to sell it at invoice I was told. Never interested in one, so who knows if that was true.

I hate ADMs, but if I could sell something for more than suggested price/retail, you bet I would do it as well.

Yep.

With shrinking profit margins, (I wouldn't say dealers deserve to charge what they want) dealers try to make up for it on high demand/low production specialty cars. Selling 1 GT350 at $10k over MSRP is the same as selling 34 Ford Fiestas.

starnsey

Established Member
I've also seen 13Cobra say he's sold to other dealers at a markup on specialty cars. I imagine if a dealer bought a specialty car at a markup they're not going to want to sell it without at least the markup on there.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've also seen 13Cobra say he's sold to other dealers at a markup on specialty cars. I imagine if a dealer bought a specialty car at a markup they're not going to want to sell it without at least the markup on there.

The guys I sold the GT350's to, still have them lol

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
How much capital does it take to open a dealership? If you are willing to give insight.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How much capital does it take to open a dealership? If you are willing to give insight.

A lot.

Depends on the store size, planning volume, etc.

There's a Ford store about 45 minutes away from me that sold last summer. It sells about 100 cars a month (new and used). It sold 3 times for $8.5 million; the first two times the buyers (both current dealers) got turned down because they could only come up with $2 million in capital. The 3rd guy got approved and it sold when he came up with $3.75 million.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When my mom was looking for a car we did a dealer trade on it. The other dealer really didn't want to give up the only 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD in Dark Side on the West Coast, eventually they did.

That's interesting. Darkside cars in the midwest on like the plague, once you get one, it's almost impossible to get rid of it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What is a darkside car?

It's a color. Kinda green/black.

2014_ford_taurus_limited_dark_side_metallic_in_martinez_lake_arizona_100917420768514627.jpg

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

A buddy has a SHO in that color and I think it looks awesome! Surprised you say it doesnt sell though.

I'll add a question on that note.

Whats the best/worst selling colors? Any color have a better resale used than another that you've noticed?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Whats the best/worst selling colors? Any color have a better resale used than another that you've noticed?

The traditional colors always tend to sell the best; red, black, white.

The grey's and silvers have been doing better. A wild color on certain vehicles sells well; but for the most part red, black and white.

Some of the poorer resale colors are the old grey/blue, and tan/gold.

starnsey

Established Member
^that brings up a good observation. I think there are freaking awesome choices for blues out there (Deep Impact Blue, etc) yet dealers NEVER carry blue cars (at least the ones I'm looking at). At least they don't carry blue ones with any options that are worth a damn. I wouldn't expect blue to be such a low volume kind of color.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
^that brings up a good observation. I think there are freaking awesome choices for blues out there (Deep Impact Blue, etc) yet dealers NEVER carry blue cars (at least the ones I'm looking at). At least they don't carry blue ones with any options that are worth a damn. I wouldn't expect blue to be such a low volume kind of color.

Blue isn't a very popular selling color.

I love DIB, my girlfriend just got a DIB Mustang and she loves it.

Last edited:

SVT Rob

Established Member
That's interesting. Darkside cars in the midwest on like the plague, once you get one, it's almost impossible to get rid of it.

View attachment 64706

A buddy has a SHO in that color and I think it looks awesome! Surprised you say it doesnt sell though.

I initially wasn't impressed with the Darkside when I first saw it (cloudy overcast day), it looked black to me. And black is such a pain in the ass to keep clean. My wife told me I couldn't buy the green car, and I was a bit confused. After having it and seeing all the color intricacies, I gotta say I really love the color. I know it's one of the more rare colors in the SHO world, only available on the '14 and '15 models, I think.

Great thread! Good looking out for the public.

Users who are viewing this thread