Purchase limit

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
Capitalism is great. I don't get mad at people for making money. But there is such a thing as gross abuse of capitalism. Capitalism in this form inherently raises the cost of a normal retail item. Most things are priced accordingly for their demographic, purpose, and design. Paying 200 bucks for a piece of plastic because it's Ford OEM and not produced any longer is absurd.

In my case stated on the first page, their's a special place in hell for people who make it excessively expensive to buy their kids a toy, a hard to find item for restoring/repairing your car/widget/thing, or simply abusing the crap out of a sale.

It's the simple concept of "sharing" that seems to be lost in this thread. It's one thing to make a buck, but abusing the concept is absurd to me.

So you're saying you have been burned by Bob Allen Ford also?

einehund

Established Member
Capitalism at it's finest. I wanted to buy one of the remade Nintendo Classics for the MSRP. I was waiting for the greenlight from Amazon. Greenlight went and BOOM! all sold out in 31 seconds. I spent 3 weeks trying to get my hands on one at MSRP. Now you can't get them for less than double MSRP. So did I buy one? Nope. Was I butthurt? A little. Guess what? I sucked it up and drove on.
Same concept for this hypothetical cancer drug. I will suck it up and drive on as long as I can without if I can't afford it. That is how life works. Your existence is not an unalienable right just because your feelings get hurt that you can't have something the way you want it. How about all the people dying around the world due to lack of clean drinking water? That is the way it always has been and always will be.

cj428mach

Established Member
If supply and demand were applicable in this case, there would be no supply for the part in the first place. The dealers would've been sold out long before someone bought it all out.

They simply see it as a part that will sell eventually, today, tomorrow, ten years from now, or never. They figure they can find a desperate soul to take advantage of and make 400% on. When in reality said soul is just wanting to restore their old car.

The price goes up as the supply goes down.

A perfect example is the 03-04 Cobra chin spoiler, I've heard of people buying these for $50 or less from dealers when they were new cars, last I had heard is they're $400ish now. They've gone up $150 since I first paid attention a few years back (they were around $250 then). Dealers didn't start out that way it just gets that way as the supply dwindles.

Same thing on Cobra cylinder heads, I think I've read where people paid $500 for the revised 05+ cylinder head from Ford when they first became available. I just bought one a few years ago as they were becoming obsolete for $1500.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
Why's the story here?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Most Ford parts guys know that any part that is obsolete will show Bob Allen having it on the locator. When you order it, the part 99% of the time is either a junkyard part or their own reman and not genuine.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Sucks when I need a part & one guy bought it all & marked it up, but kudos to them for doing it.

Klay

Established Member
I'm in the middle on this. When it comes to consumer goods that aren't a necessity, I'm overall ok with idea. However, when it comes to items necessary to live or function in society, I am not ok with it.

If it were somehow possible for someone to buy all the drinking water in the US and then they were selling it for $1000 gallon, that would be wrong on every level.

One thing people seem to be missing is there are a finite amount of resources. Someone having a lot of money shouldn't entitle them to screw over a large chunk of the population.

Machdup1

Established Member
I just threw that out there to see how far a person could take Capitalism before others start crying foul.
The beauty of capitalism is that there is a built in incentive for someone to create a better drug at a lower cost and put the greedy person out if business. It is economic Karma.

bgoose99

Established Member
My standard litmus test: are you being a douche? Capitalism is awesome, and I love me some bald eagles and 'Murica...just don't be a douche. E.g....

How many of you have been burned by Ticketmaster? Not them personally, but when bots buy up every damn ticket in the first few seconds and you have to go buy them from ebay or some other less reputable site?

Or how about this: I was in line behind a lady in Walmart last summer. They were running a clearance on toddler shoes. She had an entire cart FULL of shoes. She was on her phone throughout the entire process, talking loudly, so I got the full story. She had every single pair of the clearance toddler shoes in the store. And she was going to "make bank" selling them at her yard sale the following weekend.

Legal? Sure. Capitalist? Yep. Douche move? Absolutely.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Capitalism at it's finest. I wanted to buy one of the remade Nintendo Classics for the MSRP. I was waiting for the greenlight from Amazon. Greenlight went and BOOM! all sold out in 31 seconds. I spent 3 weeks trying to get my hands on one at MSRP. Now you can't get them for less than double MSRP. So did I buy one? Nope. Was I butthurt? A little. Guess what? I sucked it up and drove on.
Same concept for this hypothetical cancer drug. I will suck it up and drive on as long as I can without if I can't afford it. That is how life works. Your existence is not an unalienable right just because your feelings get hurt that you can't have something the way you want it. How about all the people dying around the world due to lack of clean drinking water? That is the way it always has been and always will be.

I got mine at gamestop for msrp. When i got it hey had 5 in stock and i have to admit i thought about buying them all and reselling for a profit but didn't want to chance be stuck with them. Im on 3 lists now for the snes classic and amazon is limiting the orders to one.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Most Ford parts guys know that any part that is obsolete will show Bob Allen having it on the locator. When you order it, the part 99% of the time is either a junkyard part or their own reman and not genuine.

Ah. I just found it funny because I'm really good friends with the owners over there.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The point of a clearance sale is to, you know, clearance them.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
Ah. I just found it funny because I'm really good friends with the owners over there.
Ya they send out parts labeled as Ford parts, but they did some reman on it. They claim there is a warranty but we have had a F150 that needed a GEM and they are the only ones that show it on the locator. 3 modules that were DOA later and they claimed they will no longer honor the warranty. Like I said, they are a huge joke among a lot of parts people all over. So many of us will see they are the only ones that show a part and instead of dealing with them we just say it is obsolete.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ya they send out parts labeled as Ford parts, but they did some reman on it. They claim there is a warranty but we have had a F150 that needed a GEM and they are the only ones that show it on the locator. 3 modules that were DOA later and they claimed they will no longer honor the warranty. Like I said, they are a huge joke among a lot of parts people all over. So many of us will see they are the only ones that show a part and instead of dealing with them we just say it is obsolete.

Wow. I had no idea. That's ridiculous.

And this is Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, KS?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in the middle on this. When it comes to consumer goods that aren't a necessity, I'm overall ok with idea. However, when it comes to items necessary to live or function in society, I am not ok with it.

If it were somehow possible for someone to buy all the drinking water in the US and then they were selling it for $1000 gallon, that would be wrong on every level.

One thing people seem to be missing is there are a finite amount of resources. Someone having a lot of money shouldn't entitle them to screw over a large chunk of the population.

Go get more money. Problem solved.

bdcardinal

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow. I had no idea. That's ridiculous.

And this is Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, KS?
One in the same. Sometimes you get a good part, but before I got smart to it I got a bunch of wiped clean junkyard parts. If you go to the parts discussion board on FMCdealer they will be mentioned in different ways as how bad they are.

I know they are trying to make money, but when I would rather tell a customer a part is obsolete than risk getting a junkyard part in their own box with a fake warranty, you know it isn't good.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
A few things...

1st, this happens in real estate all the time, people bought cheap land/property and now rent it out to every1 else and make bank or sell it for 3x or 4x or more in profit.

2nd, I agree that when it comes to medicine or water it is a tougher argument to back unlike a chin spoiler or a video game console... who cares don't buy it, then price will come down if no one buys it.

3rd, the reseller does take a risk as well, i have a coworker who bought a bunch of tickets to a concert hoping to resell them, boom they announced another show and he couldn't get rid of them even at asking price, owned... that is a risk every reseller takes. If no one breaks their chin spoiler and the guy has $$ tied up in them and is storing them his profit goes down every day they sit in his warehouse.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Supply and demand. When they announced they were discontinuing the mini NES classic, I called 4 walmarts, and 2 hours later I was home with 3 of them. Tossed them on ebay and made just under $500 in profit.

Klay

Established Member
You obviously don't understand how economics work. Regardless if one person can afford it, everyone couldn't. In my examole people would die given how short a time you can live without water.

Inflation like that would be catastrophic.

Users who are viewing this thread