Pulling the Motor...

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
EDIT: The noise is piston slap and i'm going to take the car to a local shop i trust the most.(Houston Performance) I'm trying to figure out if i should get a MMR 5.0 stroker kit that supports 850RWHP or just get new pistons that are .020 or .030 over and have them bore out the block. I know the stroker kit is 3grand and that's without labor. Pistons and probably 800bucks and IDK how much it will cost for them to bore out the block.

What do yall think i should do? BTW: I'm pretty broke right now, and i'm not selling my harley :bash:

Last edited:

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
If it is not your daily driver, use the $1600 to buy the tools, cherry picker, jack stands and pull the motor yourself. It will cost a lot less then $1600. Then take the motor in and have it machined and then you buy the parts needed to rebuild, bearing, bolts and gaskets and do it yourself.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
How much do you love the hog? Will you get full value right now, etc

impulse says A, common sense B

RussZTT

Established Member
^Doesn't the motor come out from the bottom?
It can but it can be done from the top. Most people do it from the top, thats how I did mine as well.

It depends on what you want to do with the car. What are your goals with it? Is it a daily driver? How much power do you want to make etc...

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
Ya i probably won't do cams. I'll probably get .030 over pistons and have them bore out the block. Maybe even have them port the heads. It depends on how much it'll cost..

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Ya i probably won't do cams. I'll probably get .030 over pistons and have them bore out the block. Maybe even have them port the heads. It depends on how much it'll cost..

I think you need to see the damage before jumping in all out.jmo.

ported 04

Its never enough.
Established Member
I think you need to see the damage before jumping in all out.jmo.

Very true...sorry but i'm almost positive its the main bearing. Maybe not. When i talked to him on the phone he was telling me how when they pull the motor on people's cars, they usually port the heads and do cams and bigger pistons...

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Very true...sorry but i'm almost positive its the main bearing. Maybe not. When i talked to him on the phone he was telling me how when they pull the motor on people's cars, they usually port the heads and do cams and bigger pistons...

I`d search a little,more cam,more displacement=more blower,fuel,etc.I think Hissman knows a bunch about this:shrug:

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
0.030 over is a pit much from stock unless there is a problem with the cylinder bore. Start at 0.020 over for an iron block and then you have room if you need to rebuild it again.

Do all the main parts such as bearings, gaskets, sealants and get new pistons and use the stock crank and rods, but get arp main and head studs. Then work on upping the boost.

racebronco2

Established Member
If you spun a bearing sometimes you wipe out the cam surfaces. I found this out on my engine. I am having a place install cam bearings. If you getting your engine bored out already i would go with a teksid block.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
If it was me, and I was in your boat, I'd redo the motor to not break again....save for a year or two and buy a new Harley.

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
New terminator reman long block is about $3,700 from ford, don't spend 6k on freshening the short block. MMR will sell you a very stout short block with upgraded parts for 3k or (depending on parts you choose etc).

02silverstang

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
dude come down to san antonio one weekend and ill help you get the motor out . then take it to kutzur racing heads and have them tear it apart and find out exactly whats wrong if you need bearings , new pistons and get everything redone to stock with better bearings and pistns and a valve job you would be under 2400 total work. dont have the shop do the work you will get raped .

Users who are viewing this thread