Pullied cobra vs 300zx tt

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Ive yet to see a 300ZXtt actually in running form. see shitloads of n/t's on the road.

like a bunch of high HP dsm guys, they spend outrageous money on rediculous motor builds with awesome turbo's, but the cars never seem to make it out of the garage.

Sounds like a handfull of cars in the Turbo Cobra section! :uh oh:.......:pop:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sounds like a handfull of cars in the Turbo Cobra section! :uh oh:.......:pop:

yeah, once you start doing extensive modifications like that, reliability pretty much goes out the window. Even if you spent the most money on the highest grade parts, its just never the same. There are exceptions, but from what ive seen, the farther you go from factory the more problems you have, and this goes for any type of car.

RussZTT

Established Member
I used to own a 300zx that had some decent upgrades and I could pull Gsxr 750's with it from a roll. Top end you really dont want to race a 300ztt thats got mods. Now from a dig you can usually hurt em because they have axle hop like you wouldnt believe. 3rd gear in a Z will run to I believe 100 and 4th is around 140ish if my memory serves me right. Z upgrade tech has come along way in the last couple years and 600 horsepower is pretty attainable. They are however a b*tch to work on....V6 two turbos, two intercoolers, and absolutely no knuckle room.
So you had to of had 700rwhp+ to pull a GSXR 750.

I currently have a twin turbo Z. At one time I was pushing 600rwhp. The turbo kit I had purchased was on a guys Z that ran 131mph traps. Still not good enough to pull or stay even with a stock GSXR 750.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
So you had to of had 700rwhp+ to pull a GSXR 750.

I currently have a twin turbo Z. At one time I was pushing 600rwhp. The turbo kit I had purchased was on a guys Z that ran 131mph traps. Still not good enough to pull or stay even with a stock GSXR 750.

Well we are talking from 70 up...not from a dig or a 20...course then again maybe I just raced bad riders...my car was somewhere north of 600 before it blew sky high. I didnt run off or leave anyone...more like a car or so at about 150-160(I always shut down at 160 since thats as far as the needle went). Horrible axle hop from a stop, but pretty mean on the highway....ahh memories. Just a bit of advice stay far far away from Ultimate Z in Chicago(if they are even still in business).

03snakeminated

Established Member
just a quick question would you guys trade a 03 t/s 580-600rwhp cobra for a 600hp z?
would like an input from previous Z owners, thanks
O.P nice race bud

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
Ive yet to see a 300ZXtt actually in running form. see shitloads of n/t's on the road.

like a bunch of high HP dsm guys, they spend outrageous money on rediculous motor builds with awesome turbo's, but the cars never seem to make it out of the garage.

yea i know what you mean about eclipse's not making it out of the garage....mine never did and it was stock and had it over a year. id rather drive a honda than a eclipse, but i would flintstone my cobra before driving either.

RussZTT

Established Member
just a quick question would you guys trade a 03 t/s 580-600rwhp cobra for a 600hp z?
would like an input from previous Z owners, thanks
O.P nice race bud
The Z is by far the best car I have ever owned. I love the looks of it, the interior is FAR better than the Mustang. The Z rides like its on rails, quiet and pretty damn fast. I have had mine for going on 13 years and it still gets looks. Of course, its in super great shape.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
03Snake...as a previous Z owner i would say it depends. Depends on if the Z has dyno numbers to back up the claim, depends on whether you like highway races or races from a dig (Z's suck to launch but have a killer top end), depends on if you work on your own car or always pay to have it worked on(Z's absolutely suck to work on...no room in the engine bay). Me personally I would say no I would rather have my Cobra for a couple reasons-Z's transmissions are pretty fragile past about 450-500hp(1 of my friends is on his 3rd), Z's are a knuckle-busting nightmare to work on, Z's are getting on up in the years so leaks and small issues are getting more common, the stock brakes suck, stock cooling isnt much better, without a 99 JDM front end the looks are getting quite dated, definitely requires a wheel upgrade(stocks are 245/16's). On the plus side Z's have great gearing, an almost unlimited top end, classic design, potential to increase in value, much better ergonomics, and hey it a Z!

RussZTT

Established Member
Lol...you must practice launching quite a bit...thats one thing I never did to mine...I hear 1st gear just blows/hops the tires off with that in.
Ya, you can launch in 2nd gear. Guy I know put one in his stage 3, he went from a 13.3@109 to a 12.6@115. It was fun when I had 600rwhp. It really wakes the stock turbos up. 3rd gear pull is just like 2nd.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
Depends what you want. Im a stang guy but the ZX is just as fast and handles alot better and more rare. But the 03-04 cobra will bring more money for resell. I just bought a 400hp low boost 300zx and like it better than my 04 mach 1. But the zx hasnt broke anyhting yet either. Lol.

RussZTT

Established Member
Depends what you want. Im a stang guy but the ZX is just as fast and handles alot better and more rare. But the 03-04 cobra will bring more money for resell. I just bought a 400hp low boost 300zx and like it better than my 04 mach 1. But the zx hasnt broke anyhting yet either. Lol.

The weakest link in the motors are the rods followed by the pistons. Upgrade those and you wont break anything in the motor. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread