Pulley Purchase

Dominican_7

Established Member
So I plan to purchase an upper pulley and I am thinking about going with I have a stock Eaton as well:

3-6-2015%209-48-04%20AM_zps2ql3byke.jpg

Would I need to purchase anything else? Other than that I have pretty much purchased the typical cooling mods Dual pass H/E, 170 Thermostat and "El Puto Grande". I have a Next Gen JLT RAI that I just purchased as well. Wondering what kind of power I am looking at aw well.

Any input would be appreciated

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Nothing, but a tune. Stock belt will work, but a lot of guys go with a 74.5" belt. Power will be 460ish wheel.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
With a stock pulley you really don't need to upgrade anything else, depending on how small you go. With something below 2.93" (or with an upper/lower pulley combo) you might want to start thinking about a MAFia or upgraded MAF, a BAP, and some bigger injectors, but your tuner will be able to let you know how those items are functioning once he starts tuning. Powerwise, with an upper only (depending on the diameter) you should be able to get to around 440-450 RWHP.

Dominican_7

Established Member
Nothing, but a tune. Stock belt will work, but a lot of guys go with a 74.5" belt. Power will be 460ish wheel.

That sounds great..

With a stock pulley you really don't need to upgrade anything else, depending on how small you go. With something below 2.93" (or with an upper/lower pulley combo) you might want to start thinking about a MAFia or upgraded MAF, a BAP, and some bigger injectors, but your tuner will be able to let you know how those items are functioning once he starts tuning. Powerwise, with an upper only (depending on the diameter) you should be able to get to around 440-450 RWHP.

Ok, so if I get the 2.76 I will definitely need to upgrade the Fuel system. I guess I can have the tuner let me know. Thanks for the insight.

Will it be safe to install the pulleys and drive it to a tuner. Or should i pay them to install it to be on the safe side?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Most online injector flow calculators show that at 450 RWHP for a supercharged engine, 40 pound injectors are at around 90% duty cycle. That's assuming your fuel system can provide the necessary fuel pressure to allow them to operate at that level. With that information in mind, with a 2.76" upper, your fuel system is close to being maxed out injector-wise, which is fine if that's as far as you want to take the car. If you're like most of us, once you put on the upper, you will soon decide that it's not enough and you'll start adding other stuff, thus necessitating the need for bigger injectors. In my opinion, go ahead and build the foundation to support more horsepower now to feed your addiction later.

Dominican_7

Established Member

You can drive it there, just stay out of boost.

Ok, sounds good

Most online injector flow calculators show that at 450 RWHP for a supercharged engine, 40 pound injectors are at around 90% duty cycle. That's assuming your fuel system can provide the necessary fuel pressure to allow them to operate at that level. With that information in mind, with a 2.76" upper, your fuel system is close to being maxed out injector-wise, which is fine if that's as far as you want to take the car. If you're like most of us, once you put on the upper, you will soon decide that it's not enough and you'll start adding other stuff, thus necessitating the need for bigger injectors. In my opinion, go ahead and build the foundation to support more horsepower now to feed your addiction later.

SO what injectors would be recommended? At this point my goal is 500hp.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
wait a second no one has mentioned that he will need plugs yet. if he increases the boost with a 2.76 upper pulley he is going to need new plugs, or at least re-gap the ones he has otherwise he'll get spark plug blowout at anything above 3500

Dominican_7

Established Member
I'd get a gates green belt or blue if available. Also buy used if you can/want to in order to save coin on all parts listed.

Thanks, will have to see which one to get.

wait a second no one has mentioned that he will need plugs yet. if he increases the boost with a 2.76 upper pulley he is going to need new plugs, or at least re-gap the ones he has otherwise he'll get spark plug blowout at anything above 3500

What plugs should i get?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Thanks, will have to see which one to get.

What plugs should i get?

Yep, forgot the plugs. NGK Tr6 or Tr6ix are the most popular and they'll need to be gapped down to .028 iirc.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm not sure what the boost difference between the 2.8" and 2.76", but I have NGK TR6's gapped at .035 and it pulls clean to redline. Are the PD blowers harder on plug gap then centris? I'm asking because I had an F1A at 19psi and was able to run a .030" gap.

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I run a tuned 2.93" upper only on the stock Eaton with TR6's gapped at .032". No injectors, no MAF, no BAP. These cars do differ.

Zemedici

Established Member
I run a tuned 2.93" upper only on the stock Eaton with TR6's gapped at .032". No injectors, no MAF, no BAP. These cars do differ.

yes, every car is different.

If you're wanting 500rw, get a ported blower pulley it down and you'll be there.

You'll need

60# injectors
Mafia (to be safe)
BAP
Tune
TR6 plugs

Whambam done deal.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Ok I'll start getting this list done. Mafia? Bap? Will have to look into these.

MAFia= Mass Air Flow extender made by Diablosport (Extends the range of your stock MAF's signal)

BAP= Boost-A-Pump, Increases the voltage going to your fuel pumps thereby increasing their output, A few different types out there, the most common is by Kenne Bell, but they are also offered by JMS and VMP.

Last edited:

MattG04

Established Member
very good thread for us new guys, having 25 mustangs this Terminator has me relearning everything.

Users who are viewing this thread