PULLEY AND IDLERS setup

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
I'm looking for peoples opinions on what to use for pulley/ idlers setup

couldn't find any one that sells a complete kit.

I'm only looking to go a tiny bit smaller on the s/c, i'm not building a crazy high horse power car, id like to see 12-14 psi.

NC03SVT

Established Member
I have a Metco 2.8 upper and have around 14-15 psi. So anything under a 2.8 like a 2.93 or 3.0 would work for you. I have Billetflow iders. They are very good quality. Also look up Metco they sell idler kits.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Billetflow and Metco both make idler kits. I have the Billetflow idlers and I am very happy with them. A lot of members run these or the Metco idlers. Here is some links so you can check them out. I also included a link to the uppers also.

Billetflow upper http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...supercharger-pulleys/upper-pulleys/billetflow

Billetflow http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...lleys-idlers/idlers-and-tensioners/billetflow

Metco upper http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...arger-pulleys/upper-pulleys/metco-motorsports

Metco http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...ra/pulleys-idlers/idlers-and-tensioners/metco

Woody6799

Established Member
I run the Billet Pro Shop idlers and I love them. If you aren't looking to go crazy with the power I would do what the previous owner did with my car... slap a smaller supercharger pulley on (billetflow) then pick up a Steeda idler bracket and put on a factory idler. Cheap easy and effective. If you are going for bigger power I would not recommend this set up but for your level it will work great.

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
anybody, have any thoughts on this setup^^^

I'm seeing good and bad from the crank ring setup

do i need to run the alt pulley with the idlers and smaller s/c pulley

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
im looking more for opinions about the setup over brand

i may just leave it stock for now, it works well and got great whine lol

funmoneypit

Established Member
http://metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ICPCOBRA1 with a plus 4lbs ring

so this kit is available brand new for a great deal

paired together with a 3.20 alternator pulley and a 2.90 s/c pulley

whats everyone's thoughts on this setup,
will the 2.90 s/c pulley, with this setup need an upgrade in the fuel system.
Some say the sweet spot for a stock Eaton is that 4lb Metco lower with a 2.93" upper so basically the setup you are looking at. It's still a good idea to upgrade the stock idlers as they are known to explode. It's also a good idea to put an additional idler up by the s/c pulley as it helps to wrap the belt around the s/c pulley more and helps to reduce belt slippage. Some don't like the Metco lower as it can put more pressure on the crank.

Probably your best bang for the buck is to get a 2.8" or 2.76" upper and a set of idlers including the upper. You will need a new tune for that also.

As far as other upgrades, some cars don't need any while others may need a BAP and/or an upgraded MAF.

TOPLESS_SVT

Established Member
Thank you for the reply
the plan, 2.90 or 3.00 for s/c and an idler kit( 3 x 100mm and 1 90mm)another idler for the s/c and new belt and call it done, no tune needed

MalcolmV8

Established Member
http://metcomotorsports.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ICPCOBRA1 with a plus 4lbs ring

so this kit is available brand new for a great deal

paired together with a 3.20 alternator pulley and a 2.90 s/c pulley

whats everyone's thoughts on this setup,
will the 2.90 s/c pulley, with this setup need an upgrade in the fuel system.

If you're going for a lower pulley bare in mind the factory setup uses a cage to take side loads off the crankshaft. The aftermarket Metco setup eliminates this cage and now you're risking other issues like excessive crank bearing wear, snapping the crank snout off etc. Many get by without issues but it's a gamble. If you want the 4 lb lower I highly suggest one of Mike's 4 lb lower kits that uses the factory cage and retains that structure.

You should find pics on the last couple pages (13 and 14 or s)
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...inging-the-4lb-Caged-lower-back-from-the-Dead

He only has a handful left so hit him up soon and get yours secured if that's the route you're going.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Thank you for the reply
the plan, 2.90 or 3.00 for s/c and an idler kit( 3 x 100mm and 1 90mm)another idler for the s/c and new belt and call it done, no tune needed

You will still need a new tune. You are putting more air in and will need more fuel. The ECU cannot compensate that much so you will need a new tune to handle the extra air. If you don't get a new tune you will run lean and risk damage to your engine.

wreckit

Established Member
I run a 2.93 custom non-slip grip upper from Steggy, 4lbs lower, and switched out all the factory idlers as well (This is the Sweet spot for these cars)!
Also, i swapped out the alternator for a new one with a 3.20 pulley, this will allow the alternator not to over spin, which results in burning out your alternator.

Do not forget, you will need a custom tune swapping out the pulleys and possible colder range spark plugs. If you want full benefits out of your setup, a new Ram air intake would be a great route to go!

Now you may be wondering at this point if you need any fuel upgrades.... Answer is every car is different. Some may need it and some may not. But if you do, a kenne bell BAP would work fine or invest in 60lbs injectors and be done with it.
Ford GT pumps are usually needed once you hit the 490-500hp+ range.

Go with a gates belt! they do not stretch out and are very reliable.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If you're going to run an upper only go smaller than a 2.9. The reason is only going to a 2.9 you'll gain some hp and hardly any torque. You're going to need a retune anyways so you might as well go with a 2.8 Metco to pick up more of both.

You can run ANY lower on any Eaton combo and there's NO need for crank issues lmao.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
The second part posi is referring to running a larger metco lower, he is saying the eaton isn't going to hurt the crank without the crank support. It is the people running larger blowers like 3.4 or 4.0 whipples that have to worry about not running the crank support.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
The second part posi is referring to running a larger metco lower, he is saying the eaton isn't going to hurt the crank without the crank support. It is the people running larger blowers like 3.4 or 4.0 whipples that have to worry about not running the crank support.

:beer:

You're not going to hurt the crank with an Eaton and it's spreading false information that just explodes into everyone starting to think it.

Users who are viewing this thread