pulled the IRS and now i have a problem

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
I pulled the entire IRS out of my 04 Cobra and replaced every bushing with MM Poly bushings. I also replaced the Tie Rod's with MM chromeoly ones as well as the sway bar end links.. I installed 3.73's and Eibach pro kit lowering springs in the front and rear. I installed the IRS bolts from MM and pput new 315 MT's with 10.5" wheels...

I set the car on the ground and the front has dropped all nice and pretty but the back it all jacked up like a monstertruck!!! Im not planning on driving it anywhere.. Its getting alligned Saturday morning and I am trailering it there because the Caster and Camber in the back coulds be all out of wack and I dont want to mess up my new tires...

Could any of the new stuff effect the ride height?? Any help would be greatly apprciated!

-Rob

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
I forgot to mention that I had full length subframes welded in at the same time...

Im thinking that all the poly bushings need to settle or something... Does that make sense?

TRBO VNM

so you have not driven it at all? just did all that stuff and set it down?

typically I drive around for a few days to make sure it all settles first. were the subframes welded on when the car was on a 4 post lift and suspension fully loaded?

I have seen with the eibachs that the rear doesn't settle as much as the front. definitely lower than factory height, but still too high imo compared to the front.

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
i pulled and rebuilt the entire IRS then reinstalled it all and installed all springs.

Then I put jackstands on all 4 A-Arms so the suspension was loaded and welded in the subframes..

I dont want to go driving it around and mess anything up but I have an appointment scheduled for Saturday morning to have the car alligned. SHould I drive it for a bit and see what happens before the allignment?

Its definitley sitting higher than factory height

Wayne64SS

Established Member
what position were the a-arm bushings in when you tightened em down? I was under the impression that when tightening any a-arm bushings you always wanted to do it when the a-arm was in its approx position of ride height? IE assemble everything and put a-arm bolts hand tight so the bushings will spin. assemble and get weight on the suspension and then tighten em down.

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
i tightned them down with no weight on them... should i loosten the bolts and put weight on them and re-tighten them?

Sounds logical to me, will driving the car around settle it in just the same?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
It is most likely the Eibachs if everything else checks out. When I had my Eibachs in the rear, it set higher than stock. Needless to say, they came right back out and cut stock srpings went back in.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
They were selling 2001 cobra springs as 03/04 cobra springs a few years ago. If you have a part number we can check. They were supposed to have that issue fixed, however...

Wayne64SS

Established Member
no shit... whats up with that anyway? I have a friend with the same exact kit and he didnt have any problems at all...

shit i just noticed you're right in clifton park!!! i'd offer to throw it up on my lift for ya and have a look around, but it's tied up at the moment with my pile of shit thanks to Spec.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I'm sure its not the Springs Rob....I waited & drove for about 2 weeks before getting an alignment!

...Not sure what it is...the welding or no weight on the suspension could be a factor!

speeddemon2000

Established Member
It will settle a bit over time. I know with my H&R race springs it settled an inch over time. Get us some pics. Did you use the spring isolators? I didn't and never had an issue.

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
shit i just noticed you're right in clifton park!!! i'd offer to throw it up on my lift for ya and have a look around, but it's tied up at the moment with my pile of shit thanks to Spec.

The car is actually in Amsterdam so its right around the corner from you. Im going to head up there tonight to check it all out and see what the deal is.

I will keep the thread updated!

TRBO VNM

if it hasn't been driven, go drive it. i have never heard of someone ruining tires that fast. If you installed everything like MM recommends, you should be pretty close on the alignment, or in otherwords, not so far out that you are going to ruin the tires if you go drive it a little. hell, on my own car I have put over 1000 miles on it after lowering it and not getting an alignment, but I don't recommend that. sounds like you need to take it out and drive it. Personally I wouldn't go get an alignment without it settled. then what happens after when you drive it and it settles? Do you plan on getting another alignment? I assume no.

as far as preloading the bushings, I do not recall the MM directions specifying that. In fact, if you didn't install them correctly and didn't spread the mounting mounts of the a-arms enough, there could be binding between the bushings/mounting points, that could be part of your problem. those upper and lower control arm bushings are not fun at all to get right.

usually stock upper control arms on solid axle cars need to be preloaded and stock front a-arms.

that being said, you mention poly bushings, the bushings I usually install in the a-arms are the delrin, so I am not sure if the poly bushings have different directions or not.

1BIGMOFO

Established Member
i read the directions pretty well. I am going to jack it up tonight and check everything out to see what i can come across! I just polished my exhaust so you can see it really well now!! LOL

I will keep you guys posted!!!

Users who are viewing this thread