Protein shakes for weight loss..Help

My94GT

Established Member
I am telling you, small meals will go a long way. Our bodies are not made to digest large amounts of food at one time. The smaller meals will control your hunger and calorie intake. And your body will turn the food into energy faster. As well as increased metabolism. If you do small/healthy meals, with 2 hours workout daily, you WILL lose weight fast. Vegetables, chicken, fish, small portion of fruits. Cut out steak and pork as much as possible. Also cut out the carbs and the pasta.

The reason people see results switching from 3 average meals to more smaller meals is they generally also make those smaller meals have more health conscious selections which normally are lower caloric. Intake then prior choices.

All those food selections you mentioned are great choices but nothing that “strokes” the metabolic rate. That is only increased in one way- additional activity surpassing normal daily activity expenditures.

The smaller meals however do help from a mental standpoint in my experience, specially when cutting as they give the feeling you’re eating more even if it’s at a lower caloric total then normal.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I can only offer you the same advice that I offer to my patients.
See a nutritionist/dietician.
Be prepared to make this a lifestyle change or don't bother.
What concerns me the most is that you are substituting protein shakes for watching calories, exercising and eating healthier.
Learn your body, what it likes and what it doesn't.
What works for other people won't necessarily do you any good. Healthy lifestyle is an extremely individualistic thing. Different people have different requirements.
Everyone will offer advice of what works for them and it isn't wrong advice, it may just not work for you and you run the risk of getting discouraged.
Pick one thing out of your unhealthy habits that you want to change and change it. When it becomes something you do without thinking about it, change something else.
Do you think you gained weight over a week, month or year? I would bet it was LIFESTYLE changes over decades....
No that my advice is worth squat to anyone but me.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Lots of good info. I'm not a shake fan either. An old saying about eating healthily is that if it comes in a bag or a box you should avoid it(meats/fish notwithstanding). I've been reading that the human body really has no physiological need for grains either.

Blown 89

Established Member
Save your money and eat less calorie dense foods. Protein shakes will send you the other direction. You're going to need to work out properly too.

This idea that weight loss is a magical trick needs to die already.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Save your money and eat less calorie dense foods. Protein shakes will send you the other direction. You're going to need to work out properly too.

Agreed, we don’t need to eat as much or nearly as often as we have been lead to believe. The shit that passes for food these days should really be called food like substances. Definitely got to put in the sweat equity to see real results.

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Be careful not to cut calories to drastically. too much of a deficit puts some people into starvation mode which kills your metabolism.

I tried to lose weight for 2 years on a hard calorie deficit and cardio specific workouts 5 days a week and plateaued quickly.

Switched up to keeping my deficit low (-200-300 max) and did no hamster wheel style cardio and switched to 45-1hr max, low rep, heavy weight, total body, circuit training 3 days a week. Lost weight rapidly and continuously while gaining massive amounts of strength.

Without once running on a treadmill I was able to lap my gf who ran daily when she asked me to run with her.

Also found that when eating clean it is very hard to hit your calorie counts necessary to maintain the balance.

Since I have given myself lots of excuses ( desk job, long commute, stressful life, etc...) and put the weight back on plus 30. lol

Good luck and make it a lifestyle change.

Also forget the scale and take measurements they are the most telling especially if lifting. I stayed the same weight for a while but dropped clothing size.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member

Blown 89

Established Member
Reading some of these responses reminds me why I quit dietetics. Some of you are overthinking the crap out of this.

Gravik

Established Member
Protein powder, oats, unsweetened almond milk.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gravik

Established Member
BSN makes the best powders for shakes period. 60-70% of my diet comes from meal replacement shakes. I have gone from 170 lbs @ 19% body fat to 215 lbs @ 14% body fat over the last 3 years and most of my meals are liquid.

I have a buddy who only eats one solid food meal a day and the rest are from shakes. and he is a ripped beast at 225 lbs with 11% body fat.

People say its not recommended to consume more then one or two meal replacement shakes a day but the truth is with todays supplements and the quality they produce along with the ability to consume them without being bloated changes everything.

I take them to gain weight cause I can consume a 1000 calorie shake in about 30 seconds but I have a real hard time doing the same with solid food. But u can consume the shakes to lose weight as well but of course u don't want the high calorie shake like the True Mass from BSN.

Their a little more expensive then the others but for a good reason. Its very granular and does not bloat u.

and the absolute best way to add Protien to ur diet without extra calories is a supplement called Genepro. 30 grams of Protein in a table spoon! yes a table spoon!

https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Prot...F8&qid=1517420501&sr=1-1&keywords=genpro&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/BSN-SYNTHA-6-Protein-Hydrolyzed-Micellar/dp/B01DY8NO9I/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1517419817&sr=8-1&keywords=bsn+protein+shake&th=1
It's more convenient too.

I'll grind oats into a shake and drink it vs cooking and eating it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My94GT

Established Member
I'll still disagree with it, even though I didn't even look at the link. No offense man.
It works for me and pro bodybuilders, so I'll keep on that regimen.
♂️ By all means do as you please but I gave you a study based off of bodybuilders that proves otherwise.

Also lol at comparing your diet to what you may read works for body builders likely on a variety of gear.

As long as you’re content do as you please though. To the OP, any protein will suffice if you are set on shakes. I personally like MTS nutrition the best for not only nutritional profile but over all flavor. I’ve used it for shakes, as well as baking many low carb treats like protein pancakes galore.

My94GT

Established Member

^^ this, cals in and cals out its not magic. The majority of diet struggling is based around the mental aspect of adherence and setting proper and attainable goals in a realistic time frame, then maintaining them to create a lifestyle of eating and not just a diet.

Blown 89

Established Member
^^ this, cals in and cals out its not magic. The majority of diet struggling is based around the mental aspect of adherence and setting proper and attainable goals in a realistic time frame, then maintaining them to create a lifestyle of eating and not just a diet.
Also keep in mind that food has to have a nutrition label but it doesn't have to be accurate. That's a big hurdle people have to get over when learning to count calories. That's why eating simple is easier to control calories. Good luck op.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
For a long time I was mixing plain oatmeal, skim milk, cinnamon and a banana. Sometimes afterwards a black coffee or plain espresso. I have always been able to drop weight really quick. For me, the key was always eating frequent small meals. Rev that metabolism up. Never really could get into the powders.

My94GT

Established Member
Also keep in mind that food has to have a nutrition label but it doesn't have to be accurate. That's a big hurdle people have to get over when learning to count calories. That's why eating simple is easier to control calories. Good luck op.
I no longer tightly track calories simply because I’m not heavy into body building like I once was. That said the nutrition label is a tool used to track calories and as such as long as an individual is consistent they can worry less about how minimalistic variations spread over days and weeks of total caloric intake will impact their physique.

For the average person, even some light adhearance will bet them great results as subconsciously they generally make better food choices when actively engaging in a diet. If someone want optimal results then much like anything else the more effort you put into tracking exact macros, the better and more percise results you’ll get.

Eating simple is easy to say but if it were easy to do most people would struggle with being over weight. So obviously it isn’t that simple. It just seems simple once an individual has either done tracking previously or mitigated a diet in such a fashion they haven’t gotten over weight to begin with. Majority of people know little about how food choices impact physique let alone overall health other then what they read and that creates stupid beliefs like “sugar is bad” or “just cut out carbs” and so on. In turn the average person sticks to a diet for a little then yo-yos because they have mental breaks and gorge or get tired of “simple eating” where they consume bland selections and ultimately give up.

Coiled03

Established Member
In turn the average person sticks to a diet for a little then yo-yos because they have mental breaks and gorge or get tired of “simple eating” where they consume bland selections and ultimately give up.

Yeah, that's me. I've never officially been on a diet. I've never had to be on one. I played sports constantly as a kid, and even when I slowed down a little in my later 20s, into my 30s, I could eat whatever I wanted without having to worry about it. Now, I'm in my mid-40s, and it's becoming more difficult.

My problem is the whole "healthy eating lifestyle" consists of about 4 food choices, as far as I can tell: chicken, fish, vegetables, protein. And they're all bland as hell unless you add some kind of sauce. But then, it's not healthy any more, right?

I'm sorry, but I've only got one trip through this life. There's no way in hell I'm cutting out things I enjoy like pasta, pizza, sandwiches, etc. I can cut down, sure, but not out. Meanwhile, the health nuts tell you you have get rid of those things entirely. I don't want to spend my life trying to find variations of those 4 things that I haven't already had 10K times before.

Maybe I'm taking things to literally, or taking them to the extreme. But that's what it sounds like when I read these kinds of threads.

Users who are viewing this thread