Pros and Cons of deleting the EGR??

XSIV_BOOST

Banned
Hey guys, i'm doing a whipple install and i'm thinking about going ahead and deleting the EGR.. Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of getting rid of it? I'm trying to decide.. Thanks in advance!

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
It was pretty much a matter of necessity with the installation of my Whipple and Fore fuel rails. Initially, I installed everything without the EGR delete and there was no room at the rear of the blower for the fuel lines. So, I had to run a front "crossover" fuel line. I hated the look of the line and it rubbed against the hood when it was down. So, I did the EGR delete and was able to use a "Y" block and attach the fuel lines to the rear of the fuel rails.

The added "bonus" is that the EGR delete gets rid of the hornets nest next to the supercharger:

2396140CobraEngineBay2(Mar09).jpg

I believe the only con with deleting the EGR is you probably won't pass emissions testing, if you have it where you live...

XSIV_BOOST

Banned
It was pretty much a matter of necessity with the installation of my Whipple and Fore fuel rails. Initially, I installed everything without the EGR delete and there was no room at the rear of the blower for the fuel lines. So, I had to run a front "crossover" fuel line. I hated the look of the line and it rubbed against the hood when it was down. So, I did the EGR delete and was able to use a "Y" block and attach the fuel lines to the rear of the fuel rails.

The added "bonus" is that the EGR delete gets rid of the hornets nest next to the supercharger:

2396140CobraEngineBay2(Mar09).jpg

I believe the only con with deleting the EGR is you probably won't pass emissions testing, if you have it where you live...

Nah, we don't have any of that here.. What in all is removed?.. I thought the boost bypass and everything still stays?..

GodStang

Established Member
I gained about 50rwhp. But I did add a Kenne Bell 2.8L at the same time so some of the gains may of been from that...

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Pros:
1. Looks better
2. Runs better
3. No hot gasses going into blower
4. No contaminents in blower
5. Lower iat 2's

cons:
?

I thought it was proven that the IAT2's were hotter when cruising after an EGR delete. During WOT runs it doesn't matter because the valve is closed anyhow. I also was under the impression that fuel mileage decreased?

AaronK

Established Member
I've heard combustion temps are cooler with the EGR system intact. That's they only thing I've heard negative about deleting it... that being said, I did an EGR delete over a year ago!

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Mine has been off for several years with no negative effects.
My tuner data logged my car and found no difference in temps.

NITROS COBRA

Established Member
Well, i have had the eaton set up, the 2.3l whipple set up, and now the 3.4l whipple set up. I have a ton of datalogs for the 2.3l whipple, did the swap then and had many datalogs after that. When i took the 2.3l off when i did the delete, i noticed a bunch of varnish/ thick black almost sludge. I cleaned the blower out like new and did the delete. I think being clean of stuff and the delete i think it ran better. It could have been the sludge stuff/varnish, but doing the delete/good cleaning helped never the less.

Users who are viewing this thread