Proof Subframes work and recommended!

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
First off, this is NOT the thread I ever wanted to make but I thought it has a valid lesson and may open your eyes to what I have said before.

Now...... since the s197 platform has been released, it changed the way we knew how the Mustang would work. With different suspension set ups, more power, and a lot more adjustment, we continue to fine-tune our mustangs with suspension and chassie.

One of the biggest arguments out there is frame ties (subframe connectors) Some will say these cars don't flex like older ones and all you need is the 3 point bolt in ties. Others say these cars have NO FLEX period..... Well... I am here to say that this isn't true.

These cars are still a uni-body and have so much frame deflection. Jack up the car on one side and try to open the door... It will have a little bit of a tug on it. That is one way to show the flex.

The next reason why I'm going to say they do work is that I am still alive after a was involved in a accident last week in my car which totaled it.

Now before some says or accuses me of anything...

1. Not drinking
2. Was not wet out
3. Was not racing
4. Was not being stupid
5. Wearing a seat belt

Quick story, I was leaving work to go to the store when I got on it but nothing over 5psi when a cat or something decided to bolt across the road, I tried to avoid it and threw the car into a couple free spins where it ended up in a telephone poll. I was the only one on the road and in the car.

Here are some pictures.

I am alright now with no bruises.

because it was 400ft from the shop, I had it towed back. The car was a total loss and I let it go as is.

Now........ the point of this thread is what the FD and PD told me.... After investigating the scene, they told me that the bars underneath are what kept the car from folding around the poll and possible killing me.

You can see on the passenger side quarter-panel how the car was starting to bend.

Here are some pictures of underneath. I had 2 different brands on here. Stifflers Ladder-Style and UPR's Single bar. As you can see... the single bar bent like it was paper where the Stiffler's FIT-System held up strong. No break in the welds or bends in the tubing. All the BMR, STEEDA, UPR suspension on this car folded like it was nothing.

I have always preached about subframe connectors. Even more so now. I hope this reaches people in the way I wanted it too. Not as a pity but proof they work. Any type of Ladder-style subframe can not just help with deflection and chassie flex but it can also save your life.

Thanks

Here is the link to our page with the Stiffler's Subframes I used and recommend:
2005-13 Mustang GT / GT500 / BOSS / V6 Sub Frame Connecters

Last edited by a moderator:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Glad you are okay, Steve. How fast do you think you hit the pole at?

I'm definitely considering these for my car, just for the safety aspect alone. Since I DD my car and encounter idiots on a daily basis, never know when you might get pushed off the road or t-boned...

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Wow!!! Glad you made it through that. Those SFC's are a no brainer at only $240...How much do they weigh?

about 12.5lbs each which for frame ties is light.

Glad you are okay, Steve. How fast do you think you hit the pole at?

I'm definitely considering these for my car, just for the safety aspect alone. Since I DD my car and encounter idiots on a daily basis, never know when you might get pushed off the road or t-boned...

Don't know. All I remember was 5psi

4VFTW

Established Member
Glad to hear you weren't hurt Steve...sucks about the car though.

I have a standing rule about avoiding animals...If it fits under the bumper it gets run over period , I wont even hit the brakes let alone swerve . I wont risk my or my passengers life and car over a $15 Cat.

On the way to Orlando on Friday I did a quick lane change to avoid a Bald Eagle that dropped down right in front of the car to try to snatch racoon roadkill and my wife layed into about breaking my own rule ,but there were no other cars around and it was our National Symbol so i made an exception

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
about 12.5lbs each which for frame ties is light.

Wow...That is light for that style SFC....I remember way back when I bought a similar design set from SLP for my F-Body, they weighed like 50 lbs!!!!

What has to be torn off under the car to install these on a coupe...anything??

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Glad to hear you weren't hurt Steve...sucks about the car though.

I have a standing rule about avoiding animals...If it fits under the bumper it gets run over period , I wont even hit the brakes let alone swerve . I wont risk my or my passengers life and car over a $15 Cat.

On the way to Orlando on Friday I did a quick lane change to avoid a Bald Eagle that dropped down right in front of the car to try to snatch racoon roadkill and my wife layed into about breaking my own rule ,but there were no other cars around and it was our National Symbol so i made an exception

I'm usually the same way. With no one on the road I figured it would have been fine but over corrected it to much. First ever accident

Wow...That is light for that style SFC....I remember way back when I bought a similar design set from SLP for my F-Body, they weighed like 50 lbs!!!!

What has to be torn off under the car to install these on a coupe...anything??

Nothing. They have pre-made welding areas (not painted) so its a hold up and weld

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Nothing. They have pre-made welding areas (not painted) so its a hold up and weld

I noticed in a couple of pictures that there are some bolted connections. Can you have the option of bolting these up with some higher grade bolts? Or ar they strictly weld-on? I know welded would be recommended, but just for removal purposes if it should ever arise.

EazyIce

Established Member
Seriously. After seeing the pictures of that crash it is good to know that you are ok. I was leaning toward BBR for my 2013 GT and now i guess i am sold.

jdcobra

Established Member
Damn man glad to hear you're okay!! The car can always be replaced but you can't! Definitely will be investing in these.

Josh

Last edited:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
I noticed in a couple of pictures that there are some bolted connections. Can you have the option of bolting these up with some higher grade bolts? Or ar they strictly weld-on? I know welded would be recommended, but just for removal purposes if it should ever arise.

They do a spot to run the top bolt of your LCA but the rest is a weld-on which is the only way to do it to have the affect.

Seriously. After seeing the pictures of that crash it is good to know that you are ok. I was leaning toward BBR for my 2013 GT and now i guess i am sold.

Thanks

Damn man glad to hear you're okay!! They car can always be replaced but you can't! Definitely will be investing in these.

Josh

I highly recommend now lol

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Not knocking the bars at all, because I believe they help, BUT being that you hit the pole past the 1/2 way point of the car (from front to back) why didn't the car just rotate counter clockwise around the pole? If you hit it square on the door than I could understand but did something stop the front just swinging around?

Also, if you remember what that cat looks like, I'd go find it and adopt it. Because he just cost your ins company alottttttt of $$. And I'm sure you as well if they don't cover everything. Looks like your performance mods should be salvageable though. I hope...

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
Holy crap I'm glad to hear you're doing alright! I actually purchased steeda subframe connectors for my vert last week. Getting them installed this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread