Project Nightmare...ish. A journey through time from the purchase of my 1996 Cobra

mumby

Established Member
I'm just starting this today to save a spot and to actually start this since I've been planning on doing this since i bought the car back in the beginning of May. Yea I procrastinated a bit.

Welcome fellow SVT, Cobra, Mustang, Ford, Car fans and anyone else who is bored enough to read me. The journey starts May 6th 2016.

May 6th 2016. Pretty much like any other day. My pops bugged me enough to help him with some project until I caved and said fine lets get it over with. Not going to bore you (further) with the details on that except for how it coincides with my life. bla bla bla bla...bla...bla Bla. While out we pull into Pep Boys because he needs a can of undercoating/ sound deadening. We pay and are heading out and as we are sitting in traffic to leave, here comes a black Mustang. As it comes nearer I can see that it's pretty clean and it's a Cobra. Not thinking, I randomly blurt out I wonder if it's for sale. Makes sense to me since the local Pep Boys is regularly used as a used car lot for Private sellers. Sure enough as he rounds the corner to come in, there is a for sale sign. (Little back story...I sold my previous car and have been looking for a new car. More precisely a Terminator. This has been going on for 6 months now. I'm very picking when it comes to the exact one I want but I'm getting tired of not having a car to play with.) I lean over and say Pops, for shits and giggles lets go take a look at the Cobra that just pulled in maybe I'll buy it. The whole time in my head thinking this guy is going to be asking way over what the car is worth and definitely won't be cheap enough that I'll buy it and put off buying a Terminator. It took us a minute to get back around and check out the car. Owner had already hopped in wifes car and took off. I hop out, look at a car and can't really believe it. $3,000 asking price??? must be wrong. Call the number and owner confirms that he is asking $3,000. He comes back over, we do the normal stuff when checking out a used car and I offer him $2500. Great price already the only thing "majorly" wrong with it, is that it has a check engine for MAF. We agree on $2800 and the car is mine. We pick it up Thursday and do the paperwork due to schedule conflicts. The End for now!

So with any car we buy, we can't leave well enough alone. The new MAF and housing are on order along with bunches of other stuff. As of today, June 20th 2016, most of the parts have arrived or been picked up for phase 1. As I do installs, I will be posting up pictures and a few words to go along and maybe an opinion here and there.

With all that said:

WELCOME TO MY BUILD JOURNAL!

Phase 1 Includes:

New MAF since it needed it
JLT CAI
Raxiom tail lights to replace the horrible clear euros that were on it.
Spec D black headlights to replace the cracked aftermarket ones
Raxiom LED headlight conversion
MGW Short shifter w/ White Ford Racing knob
SCT x4 tuner
OEM 03 Cobra wheels with brand new BFG KDW2s. Just mounted and balanced
Eibach Pro System Plus is due to arrive June 22nd
Windows are getting tinted sometime in the next week or 2. Whenever I get around to taking it get it done.
Car already had Magnaflow exhaust.
There are some other small items here and there. Clips that were missing to hold something in place.
I’m going to be ordering a power steering pump as well since it’s leaking. Cheap enough not worth rebuilding.
Mishimoto radiator, racing thermostat, coolant and electric 14” fan. LMR complete hose kit and Edelbrock water pump. Doing the whole system since known for overheating and to prepare for future. Just waiting on the coolant to get here.

Phase 2 will be in a month or so
4.10 Ford racing gears
Ford racing differential cover
Ford racing speedometer recalibration tool
Longtube headers
Catless H-pipe
SLP Loud Mouth 1 exhaust.

This is as far as I thought out so far. I am looking at new seats either Corbeau or Cobra. Also getting a full paint correction on it after a Saleen wing and possibly either a 03-04 style hood or cowl hood so everything is on the same level.

Here is a quick pic from the day I saw it just to hold you all over. I'm working on the newer pics tonight but probably won't put up til tomorrow.
20160508_125421.jpg

Last edited:

TClark22

Established Member
Yea how big of a pile is it for 2500? Thats about the cheapest 96-98 cobra I've seen that isn't a complete pile

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations! Hope you don't find anything (other) major with it. So you have the new MAF. Have you installed it, and did the check-engine light clear?

mumby

Established Member
Yea how big of a pile is it for 2500? Thats about the cheapest 96-98 cobra I've seen that isn't a complete pile

106k miles, needed to replace the MAF and odometer gear. Guy was late 50s early 60s and I'm thinking he didn't really understand his car was a Cobra. Came with 2 extra sets of rotors and pads. 2 extra OEM Cobra wheels, a set of 24lb Ford racing injectors and a few other things.

mumby

Established Member
Congratulations! Hope you don't find anything (other) major with it. So you have the new MAF. Have you installed it, and did the check-engine light clear?

New MAF is in, along with JLT CAI. Check engine is gone. I'm going to be updating the first post a little later tonight with details about my phase 1.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Damn you stole that car congrats. What are all your plans? I don't care for the corner lenses but the rest of the car looks pretty clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mumby

Established Member
Damn you stole that car congrats. What are all your plans? I don't care for the corner lenses but the rest of the car looks pretty clean.

Those lenses are gone. They were replaced like 3 days after I picked up car. American Muscle is about 45 minutes from me so I drive on over and pick up my orders. As for plans I updated my original post. Phase 1 is being worked on and will hopefully be completed by this weekend. Phase 2 will be coming to a forum near you soon. lol

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Those lenses are gone. They were replaced like 3 days after I picked up car. American Muscle is about 45 minutes from me so I drive on over and pick up my orders. As for plans I updated my original post. Phase 1 is being worked on and will hopefully be completed by this weekend. Phase 2 will be coming to a forum near you soon. lol

Nice list. Is the PS pump leaking at the bottom at the line? If so it probably just needs the Teflon o-ring just a thought. Gears will make a huge difference in that car. What about under drive pulley's?

mumby

Established Member
Nice list. Is the PS pump leaking at the bottom at the line? If so it probably just needs the Teflon o-ring just a thought. Gears will make a huge difference in that car. What about under drive pulley's?

Honestly, it looks like its been leaking for a while and he added fluid so its a mess down there. I haven't cleaned it to let it leak again and find where it's coming from yet. Either way I'm most likely just going to replace the pump anyway and possibly the lines. Car has 100k miles and we are talking about less than $100. Yes under drive pulleys are in the works just not any type of priority to getting them.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Honestly, it looks like its been leaking for a while and he added fluid so its a mess down there. I haven't cleaned it to let it leak again and find where it's coming from yet. Either way I'm most likely just going to replace the pump anyway and possibly the lines. Car has 100k miles and we are talking about less than $100. Yes under drive pulleys are in the works just not any type of priority to getting them.

Nice make sure you use I believe it's Mercon 5 for the ps fluid. March made a damper for them. I know on my 01 I use to have March also made Cobra R ps pump under drive pulley.

mumby

Established Member
Nice make sure you use I believe it's Mercon 5 for the ps fluid. March made a damper for them. I know on my 01 I use to have March also made Cobra R ps pump under drive pulley.

I remember March making them back from when I had a 96 GT a few years back. But definitely good info to follow up on. Thanks

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My favorite part of the entire post (and I'm not judging, I would have done the same) is where you're thinking to yourself... damn, 3k is a pretty solid price for the car...annnnnnd you proceed to offer 2500.

Excellent find, sometimes it is just meant to happen apparently.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Wow dude you got that for a steal. I got $5000 trade in for my 1996 Cobra with 149,000 miles late last year lol but I took great care of it. The 4.10s will be the most noticeable mod you have listed but as you said you wanted a toy, if I were you, I would go with 4.30s. I kind of wished I had when I put 4.10s in mine but they still woke the car up like crazy. And I still daily drove it for another 4 years after that with an offroad BBK X pipe and SLP Loudmouths which is also similar to the setup you're wanting. Mine was ungodly loud so I had to baby it in town lol

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
That's a hell of a deal. I paid $2500 for mine as well sight unseen. I figured it needed an engine.

I bought mine with around 130k on it and it has around 160k now. Stock engine- never touched ANYTHING in the long block. Just intake, exhaust, gears, and a crap load of nitrous.

PS if you go power adder or maybe a Terminator swap down the road I'd go 4.10s. 4.30s would be too steep for my car if I ran a shorter tire (I use a 27" Hoosier right now).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread