Project "Bad Smurf"

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
hey man you do know they are joking about the wastegate and boostcontroller. boost on superchargers are controlled by pulley size, and you don't use a wastegate unless your going to turbocharge the car as well. maybe you are confusing the part names but if someone sold you a wastegate for your f-1 thier taking advantage of you.

LOL is all maybe you are confused and misinformed

nocobrafornow

Established Member
well sorry for trying to help. i,ve seen one on a Vortech, but from all the kits i've seen installed, and that i've installed just don't see a need for the added cost but to each his own have fun.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
its so he can control his boost via boost controller not pully...makes it much easier to drive around on low boost than if he feels the need turn it up

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I've always liked the idea of controlling boost from a S/C through a wastegate, but ive never seen it in person.

correct me if i am wrong, but this is how i believe it works... wastegate mounted to the intake pipe similar to a BOV, run a small pulley that will probably put out 25lbs of boost or so, then have the wastegate set to open at 15lbs or so (controller by boost controller or w/g spring)?

God, once that wastegate opens it is going to sound like all hell is breaking loose...

also, from experience, I absolutely LOVED my Greddy Profec B Spec 2 electronic boost controller, and I know they can be had for much cheaper than some of the HKS's. It is very simple to mount up and very simple to use.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
b62d9360.gif

cb18cc4f.gif

Gauges are in

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
nice project man. so does anyone know what the breaking point is for the stock bottom end of these new five O's?

kevinp

Established Member
Its a lot easier making an inlet restrictor than fooling with a boost controller - been there.

Nice build, looking forward to seeing the results.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
boost controller is a turn of the knob, i'd rather do that than deal with restricting the inlet. But to each there own... what problems have you had with boost controllers?

kevinp

Established Member
boost controller is a turn of the knob, i'd rather do that than deal with restricting the inlet. But to each there own... what problems have you had with boost controllers?

Just not consistent, hard for it to keep a setting. Granted I was racing all across the country from 4000' to sea level but it just never worked well for me. Maybe the newer electronic controllers would work better, I like to keep thinks simple and reliable.

I would just slip a restrictor in for street driving and take it out for the track. Took about 5 minutes and the blower was mounted down low so it had to be jacked up to change it.

Lot depends on what you ate doing for fuel management, if your tune can take a 2-3psi change without hurting anything if something doesnt work right then its no big deal. But if the MAF is up against a wall and you need different tunes for different boost levels you have to be careful.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
Well the whole reason i'm running a boost controller is because my blower is pullied for 25psi. The MOST i'll need to run on the street is 15 which should make a TON of power. So I would have to really choke down the blower... I'd rather let the wastegate dump the extra air.

I should have this up and runnin in the next week or so.. We will see how it reacts .. my buddy is runnin a similar setup and it works perfectly on his 3v.. 5-7 psi on this F1 should get me close to the 600 mark.

kevinp

Established Member
Well the whole reason i'm running a boost controller is because my blower is pullied for 25psi. The MOST i'll need to run on the street is 15 which should make a TON of power. So I would have to really choke down the blower... I'd rather let the wastegate dump the extra air.

I should have this up and runnin in the next week or so.. We will see how it reacts .. my buddy is runnin a similar setup and it works perfectly on his 3v.. 5-7 psi on this F1 should get me close to the 600 mark.

Dont forget that running the blower at that rpm all the time is going to make more heat, wear and an extra 20-40hp or so of parasitic loss as well.

F1A is a great blower and has an awesome midrange hit, have fun with it.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
nice project man. so does anyone know what the breaking point is for the stock bottom end of these new five O's?

Not yet at least not that I've herd of. I think Beefcake might have broke his but don't think its public info yet. Other then that I know there is one that made 809hp on a stock block with a novi 2200.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
Seems to be around the 600-650 mark. A few have made more but not for very long.

Can you post some actual findings on that. I know alot of cars are making that and more and are staying together just fine. From what I understand 600hp is easy to make on these cars and should be a long life for the block. I've been reading alot so maybe you post some actual facts on this to clarify. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread