Production numbers???

mrGT

Established Member
I went down to visit with my Ford dealer about some of the things I've read on this forum over the past couple of days and one thing I was told is that Ford is considering limiting the number of units per year so that they can keep the pricing (read that to be profit) stable.....they definitely don't want a lot with GT500's that they have to move as a "special" to get them off the lot. Well, I'm only for that "after" I've got one.....and then after I've got one, I would go for a limited production.

My question is, "Have others heard this type of talk?" It makes perfectly good sense to me as, if I'm not mistaken, that's the method used by Vette, Viper, and others.

THANKS

mrGT

Established Member
crazyhorse06,

I know they will make as many as they can sell....what I thought I heard is they don't want to make too many and start losing money by not being able to sell them.....ala, the Cobras that sat on the lots and had to be sold at reduced prices. I know there is an economic curve where you can optimize your profits by varying manufacturing quantity and sales price. I thought maybe they would go to more of a "just in time" ordering, rather than a "showroom" order.

So you think maybe they will flood the market with these cars and sell them for what they can get?

crazyhorse06

Established Member
mrGT said:
crazyhorse06,

I know they will make as many as they can sell....what I thought I heard is they don't want to make too many and start losing money by not being able to sell them.....ala, the Cobras that sat on the lots and had to be sold at reduced prices. I know there is an economic curve where you can optimize your profits by varying manufacturing quantity and sales price. I thought maybe they would go to more of a "just in time" ordering, rather than a "showroom" order.

So you think maybe they will flood the market with these cars and sell them for what they can get?
We should know more about production plans Sunday, the day the car will be unveiled at NAIAS. They will have no trouble selling 7500 to 10,000 of these cars. The dealer is telling you that to get you to pay more for the car. Don't bite on it.

Ford would rather make a little money on a lot cars than a lot of money on a few cars.

mrsuds

Established Member
mrGT said:
crazyhorse06,

Based on everything I read, the only economic model that makes sense is that Ford will build cars in a "just in time" manufacturing scheme. Order books are opening in mid-March so that will give Ford plenty of lead time to build just what they need. I believe they will continue to produce as long as orders keep coming in. Ford has committed to 10000 units but expect more. Dealers don't want you to hear that, because it blows their markup advantage because this car is a "limited production car", right out of the water.

I personally think that Ford has a total production run in mind and given the fact that a new Boss and Mach 1 is coming out, producing 3 variants will dilute the market too much.

The only "muscle car" that Ford has to compete with is the Charger, but with Challenger and Camaro coming out, they need to build as many cars as will sell fast. :rockon: :rockon:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the camaro will be out in/around 09. the canadians claim the right to build the camaro till their contract is up in 09 and they shut down the canadian camaro plant.

chuckstang

Established Member
I want them to keep svt mustangs limited and in low volume, wtf ,they would just not be as cool if everyone had them like the dam gt's. i like knowing my car is 1245 of 4040
this also keeps the resale value higher then that of say a gt.

Users who are viewing this thread