Procharger or Vortech

stang910

Established Member
I've never liked the Procharger cause it adds another pulley to the crank. I also don't like the fan that comes with it cause I'm sure it's not OEM quality and they are stupid loud. When you compare the price difference and power potential to the Paxton, the Paxton is a no brainer. As for the pulley change it's pretty easy to do. It takes about 10 minutes.

RTD

Established Member
What about oiling. I believe the Procharger is self-contained, whereas the others require tapping the oil pan and running a line. Correct?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What about oiling. I believe the Procharger is self-contained, whereas the others require tapping the oil pan and running a line. Correct?

The v3 and 2200 entry kits are self lubricated, the competition kits are oil fed.

Jroc

Established Member
I'm a traditionalist.

Paxton/Vortech > Procharger.

Paxtons date all the way back to I believe teh 65 Shelby Mustang, and Vortech blowers on 5.0 EFI Foxbodies just really helped define modern day hotrodding and modding of SB EFI cars.

stang8psi

Established Member
Paxton OP as stated is the better choice! I made (and am only a gt) with long tubes 3" exhaust and boss manifold stock 3.8" pulley 9psi 640rwhp on a mustang dyno! Now I only reved it to 7100 rpms and I can spin it to 7500-7600 if I wanted to achive a 650-660rwhp number but I have weaker rods and pistons than you. and that was achived with 14-16* of timing and 93 pump gas and it's a safe tune. I have no doubts that my 110 race gas tune which adds 3 more degrees of timing and some tivct changes will cary me into the 700Rwhp range.

So Op with a 3.6-3.4 pulley and same exhaust mods as me , you would easily be in the 700rwhp range and barely spinning the paxton unit.
hope this helps some

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Paxton OP as stated is the better choice! I made (and am only a gt) with long tubes 3" exhaust and boss manifold stock 3.8" pulley 9psi 640rwhp on a mustang dyno! Now I only reved it to 7100 rpms and I can spin it to 7500-7600 if I wanted to achive a 650-660rwhp number but I have weaker rods and pistons than you. and that was achived with 14-16* of timing and 93 pump gas and it's a safe tune. I have no doubts that my 110 race gas tune which adds 3 more degrees of timing and some tivct changes will cary me into the 700Rwhp range.

So Op with a 3.6-3.4 pulley and same exhaust mods as me , you would easily be in the 700rwhp range and barely spinning the paxton unit.
hope this helps some

the more you spin these, the more they make

when we let off the dyno at 7500 making 1000rwhp, that was where the peak was,

i could only imagine if we could get a realistic 8000-8500 rpms outta these things

kbroush

Established Member
So with the paxton unit, 10lbs of boost, full 3 inch exhaust and 93 octane on a boss what do you think it would make for rwhp? And can I run 91 octane on 10lbs of boost? I would assume not though?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So with the paxton unit, 10lbs of boost, full 3 inch exhaust and 93 octane on a boss what do you think it would make for rwhp? And can I run 91 octane on 10lbs of boost? I would assume not though?

on a boss 302, you should see mid 6's or better with no problem

you can run 91, but i would stick with the stock pulley if your going that route, or we could back the timing / rpm down for an octane change

RTD

Established Member
The v3 and 2200 entry kits are self lubricated, the competition kits are oil fed.

Ok, good to know. I was leaning Procharger because of that but if Paxton/Vortech has self-lubricated versions that's a big point. I really have a hard time with where Procharger put the air intake. Apart from the heat issue, it just looks ridiculous.

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
Good to know they are self lubricated. Now i am leaning on a vortech in black for my boss. Ideally if i do purchase it beefcake, its the cost which i saw on your website plus shipping, no tax because i live in florida, correct? How much is S&H roughly?

I am shooting for 600 to 680 rwhp. The only thing this car will have besides the kit would be a cat delete kit from steeda (pending to be put on) and some flowmasters without the resonators (already installed). Is that possible? 93 octane for the fuel.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Good to know they are self lubricated. Now i am leaning on a vortech in black for my boss. Ideally if i do purchase it beefcake, its the cost which i saw on your website plus shipping, no tax because i live in florida, correct? How much is S&H roughly?

I am shooting for 600 to 680 rwhp. The only thing this car will have besides the kit would be a cat delete kit from steeda (pending to be put on) and some flowmasters without the resonators (already installed). Is that possible? 93 octane for the fuel.

no shipping, and members will get better pricing that you see on the website

beef

Hedged

Established Member
The beauty of the hellion kit is how little boost you have to run to make big power...

mtrsprt

Established Member
I must say, I LOVE my Procharger setup. This is also coming from a guy who has run almost every type of Vortech Compressor/system over the past 16 years. (Yes, I still love Vortech, but the price I paid for my complete used system was a no brainer) Terry has mentioned everything correctly between the two, and others have stated facts also. As to one making more power over the other, that is a toss up. There is many variables between two compressors, and tuning results that can alter overall outputs.

I am very glad to have a seperate serpentine system. Single serpentine systems can be in pain. Are they always? No. My current D1 compressor will/should make similar power as the 2200 @ the same boost levels, depending on commanded timing and AFR in the tune.

My setup is still in the last stages of tune (SCT hadn't perfected the 2013 tuning templates at the time). We got it putting down 655rwhp with only 13* of timing up top @ 9 psi, only pulling to 6900rpm. This is comparible (some a little higher, some a little lower) to most all the other head units in the same MAX flow range out there.

The intercooler argument isn't really valid, as there's been ZERO recorded data of how each unit performs (Pressure drop/temperature drop against ambient). They are not much difference in size either.

I am still a Vortech fanatic, and always will be, but this Procharger setup really impressed me quite a bit. I am not biased to anything regarding forced induction. The Procharger kit requires ZERO cutting, and/or relocating anything. The belt can be swapped in under 3 minutes. The whole system can be removed in under 20 minutes. The head unit can be removed in under 5 minutes from the bracket. The stress on the crank in minimal, as long as you maintain the factory dynamic tensioner. These are mostly marketing/sales arguments anyway.

Either way, Any of these systems will perform as intended, when installed and tuned correctly.

The power is nothing short of Extreme.

To each of you that decide to use either of the manufacturers, ENJOY it, and be responsible on the road with immesely added power.

svt1111

Established Member
Glad you like it!

I told you that you would not be disappointed!

Now get that thing tuned and in the 9's this year so I can live vicariously through you! LOL

For those on the fence- either kit will make gobs of power. I think the real question comes down to preference of dedicated drive or shared serpentine belt. The location of the air intake has not proven to be an issue on the Procharger that I am currently aware of. I do agree, the Vortec intake scenario is preferable, but I prefer the dedicated drive system of the Procharger and consider it a more important feature when comparing apples to oranges.

I must say, I LOVE my Procharger setup. This is also coming from a guy who has run almost every type of Vortech Compressor/system over the past 16 years. (Yes, I still love Vortech, but the price I paid for my complete used system was a no brainer) Terry has mentioned everything correctly between the two, and others have stated facts also. As to one making more power over the other, that is a toss up. There is many variables between two compressors, and tuning results that can alter overall outputs.

I am very glad to have a seperate serpentine system. Single serpentine systems can be in pain. Are they always? No. My current D1 compressor will/should make similar power as the 2200 @ the same boost levels, depending on commanded timing and AFR in the tune.

My setup is still in the last stages of tune (SCT hadn't perfected the 2013 tuning templates at the time). We got it putting down 655rwhp with only 13* of timing up top @ 9 psi, only pulling to 6900rpm. This is comparible (some a little higher, some a little lower) to most all the other head units in the same MAX flow range out there.

The intercooler argument isn't really valid, as there's been ZERO recorded data of how each unit performs (Pressure drop/temperature drop against ambient). They are not much difference in size either.

I am still a Vortech fanatic, and always will be, but this Procharger setup really impressed me quite a bit. I am not biased to anything regarding forced induction. The Procharger kit requires ZERO cutting, and/or relocating anything. The belt can be swapped in under 3 minutes. The whole system can be removed in under 20 minutes. The head unit can be removed in under 5 minutes from the bracket. The stress on the crank in minimal, as long as you maintain the factory dynamic tensioner. These are mostly marketing/sales arguments anyway.

Either way, Any of these systems will perform as intended, when installed and tuned correctly.

The power is nothing short of Extreme.

To each of you that decide to use either of the manufacturers, ENJOY it, and be responsible on the road with immesely added power.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Glad you like it!

Now get that thing tuned and in the 9's this year so I can live vicariously through you! LOL
I don't see an auto swap in my future for this car Brian. :D

The shifting on this thing, still has me annoyed however...:nonono:

svt1111

Established Member
I don't see an auto swap in my future for this car Brian. :D

The shifting on this thing, still has me annoyed however...:nonono:

Nor should you have to!

Talk to Shaun at AED. Whatever the heck he does with the torque management/throttle opening made an amazing difference in my Boss. Could hammer out smooth 8k plus rpm shifts ALL DAY LONG. Plus the prerequisite hardware mods.

Stock clutch might not like life at 8k with 700+ rwhp though. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread