Procharger or Vortech

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
So in another forum some people were saying Vortech is a better way to go when compared to a Procharger. What do you guys/girls think. It'd be nice to here peoples opinion since it would be essentially be a 6000.00 dollar investment.

As always,Thanks everyone!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So in another forum some people were saying Vortech is a better way to go when compared to a Procharger. What do you guys/girls think. It'd be nice to here peoples opinion since it would be essentially be a 6000.00 dollar investment.

As always,Thanks everyone!

As the #1 Distributor in the nation of Vortech / Paxton kits for the coyote I can lend some insight here for your.

There are many benefits to the paxton / vortech setups over the procharger setup.

1) The Pax/Vor kits have a larger intercooler, than even the stage 2 procharger kit.

2) The Air intake placement. The pax/vor setup reusues the factory air box location, which has proven to be a great source of air and great right from the factory. The procharger inlet is at the rear bay of the engine sucking in heat from not only the engine, but from the headers as well. HOT HOT HOT. The pax/vor are still adaptable to using a JLT CAI kit as well.

3) Crank stress. The Pax/Vor setup utilizes the factory tensioner setup. It adds 0 more stress to the crank. The Procharger setup adds an extra pulley to the front of the crank, an extra tensioner, which is constantly pulling. I have seen more than one crank fail on these cars with that setup.

4) More Power Potential - The 2200 kit will outperform any stage 1 or stage 2 and even the upgraded head units above the stage 2 procharger.

5) And this is the best - Cost. The cost is less. Hands down, the best way to go.

I can set you up with a tuner kit, complete kit, or one of my "Beefcake Special" combinations tailored to fit your needs.

The proof is in the pudding! :)

Beef
513-478-1965

For reference, our car goes [email protected] in full weight 3850lb street trim on 275 dr's. The same way I drive the car every day!

Last edited:

ECRUZ0884

Established Member
One question I do have is what needs to be trimmed, or taken off the front bumper because of the piping? That one thing that kind of had me thinking procharger.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
One question I do have is what needs to be trimmed, or taken off the front bumper because of the piping? That one thing that kind of had me thinking procharger.

on the 11-12's, the backside needs to be trimmed some. but it's nothing you actually see, not a big deal at all

the 13's really need no trimming

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Well.... I'm going to give you pros and cons on both. We deal with all makes/models of blowers for a reason.... They all can do the same thing. It's just how you want it to look, act, and feel.

I will also give you an honest answer because I have owned both brands on my own cars. Without trying to sell you, here is a list I put together of what each one has going for them.

NOW FIRST.... BOTH SYSTEMS WILL MAKE THE SAME POWER depending on the head unit

Prochager:

Pro's:
Separate belt system - Reason this is #1 for pro's is because for the every day street driver (which is 97% of this forum), if you ever snap a belt, you can still drive it home. You are not stuck. This also makes it so your not over lapping a longer single belt as your heart and soul.

Blower Pulley - With running a dedicated belt system, this will also allow you to swap pulleys easier and on the fly.

Belt Tension - With also running a separate system, you can crank down on the supplied idler to help eliminate the cause of belt slip

Con's:
Strain on crank - With the separate belt system, you can put more stress on the crank (but it's not a common thing at all)

Intercooler upgrade - You have to spend a lot more to run a good intercooler but you have to swap out the fan and overflow tank

Cost - With Procharger.... your paying for it.

Vortech/ Paxton:

Pro's:

Intercooler - The built a well made intercooler that is great for street cars

Intake System - Allows you to run aftermarket brands and help gain more power

Size - They are using a well designed head unit that work well with these motors

Cost - Very cheap for a blower

Con's:

Single Belt System - For those who have owned one know what I'm talking about. it sucks swapping belts because pretty much everything has to come off.

Swapping Pulley - Read above

Theirs a lot more I could get into but the point is to show you some of the main reasons with each system and coming from my own experience owning both..

if I had to choose.... I would pick procharger. it works and the cons are really not bad at all.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well.... I'm going to give you pros and cons on both. We deal with all makes/models of blowers for a reason.... They all can do the same thing. It's just how you want it to look, act, and feel.

I will also give you an honest answer because I have owned both brands on my own cars. Without trying to sell you, here is a list I put together of what each one has going for them.
NOW FIRST.... BOTH SYSTEMS WILL MAKE THE SAME POWER depending on the head unit
Prochager:
Pro's:
Separate belt system - Reason this is #1 for pro's is because for the every day street driver (which is 97% of this forum), if you ever snap a belt, you can still drive it home. You are not stuck. This also makes it so your not over lapping a longer single belt as your heart and soul.
Blower Pulley - With running a dedicated belt system, this will also allow you to swap pulleys easier and on the fly.
Belt Tension - With also running a separate system, you can crank down on the supplied idler to help eliminate the cause of belt slip
Con's:
Strain on crank - With the separate belt system, you can put more stress on the crank (but it's not a common thing at all)
Intercooler upgrade - You have to spend a lot more to run a good intercooler but you have to swap out the fan and overflow tank
Cost - With Procharger.... your paying for it.
Vortech/ Paxton:
Pro's:
Intercooler - The built a well made intercooler that is great for street cars
Intake System - Allows you to run aftermarket brands and help gain more power
Size - They are using a well designed head unit that work well with these motors
Cost - Very cheap for a blower
Con's:
Single Belt System - For those who have owned one know what I'm talking about. it sucks swapping belts because pretty much everything has to come off.
Swapping Pulley - Read above
Theirs a lot more I could get into but the point is to show you some of the main reasons with each system and coming from my own experience owning both..
if I had to choose.... I would pick procharger. it works and the cons are really not bad at all.

Well, I am going to disagree with you 100%. This comes from "personal experience on a coyote as I have one. As you have not, you can't speak from "personal" experience.

1st, the pulley swap you mentioned. The supercharger pulley change on a vortech / paxton can be done in less than 5 minutes on a coyote.

I know, as I have changed them dozens and dozens of times. Maybe on the cars you have owned it took time, that is not a case with the coyotes.

2nd, taking "everything off" to change belts. Again, that is 100% untrue and completely false. Only 1 pulley needs to be removed to change out a belt on a coyote. Again, I have personal experience with this. I can change a belt on these cars in about 10 minutes.

3rd, Power - the off the shelf stage 1 or 2 will not outflow the paxton, and will not make the power a paxton will. Show me where one has. And I don't want dyno sheets, i want to see track times. The off the shelf 2200 will / does outperform the stage 2. How many SVTP members are running my Paxton setup to the low 10's and 9 second et's. Dozens, just on this forum. How many procharged cars?......

Now, this is a contradicting statement

Pro:

Con:

How can this be a pro and a con??
Bottom line, cranking the crap out of a pulley hanging off the front of the crank that is not designed to be there IS NOT GOOD. Period. It's just not, there is no way you can show me where that is not a bad thing. It either adds stress or it doesn't, and it does.

The problem is from a "personal" standpoint you have no experience on these cars, and you are giving out incorrect information. The information I posted is from experience on these cars.

And, lets not forget the biggest thing. Price. You are saying you would recommend going with a system that
1) costs more
2) makes less power
3) has higher iat's
4) stresses the crank
5) smaller intercooler

and the benefit? able to run the car if it breaks down. That is the 1 and only benefit to the procharger system. Of course, there isn't a reason that should be a concern. In 2 1/2 years, i haven't been left stranded over a belt. A properly installed system, should have no issues with belts.

The funny thing is, you listed 3 pro's and 3 con's for the Procharger, 4 pro's and 2 con's for the paxton. But still recommend the Procharger. So, without "selling" you are selling. ;)

For the record, as a vendor, I make no smoke screens. I am selling. The great thing is, the product I am selling. Is indeed the best!! :)

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
thanks beef

rob

Your welcome,

i'm going to put a little video together i think for the pulley change and belt change to dispel the myth that they are hard to do.

granted, the belt change is easier on the procharger, but how often do you change a belt on a car?

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
Here's a question. If you change a pulley, say more boost for the track, do you have to alter the tuning also or is the tuning that comes with these work no matter the boost level?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Here's a question. If you change a pulley, say more boost for the track, do you have to alter the tuning also or is the tuning that comes with these work no matter the boost level?

The tunes will compensate some based on the wideband. However you do need to make sure you have a fuel system that is adequate for the boost that you are running.

Typically we like to check both boost levels on the dyno, just to verify that the fuel system will compensate.

Typically you would want to run the tune for the higher boost level, if you are going to be swapping pulleys often.

The best idea would be to just have 2 separate tunes to load in if you're trying to maximize every pulley combination.

We actually spend a lot of time at the track tuning these things not just the Dyno.

When we are at the track Lund racing is tuning for hundredths.

Last edited:

kbroush

Established Member
Ok, here is another question to open a can of worms. Which is better here: Vortech or Paxton? What are the pros and cons of each?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Ok, here is another question to open a can of worms. Which is better here: Vortech or Paxton? What are the pros and cons of each?

thats actually an easy question to answer,

one isn't necessarily better than the other. The 2200 has more power potential than the v3 unit. The v3 has a peak efficiency of 52000 rpms, so, you can "max" the blower out easier, with larger pullies.

at the entry level, it is pretty efficient. if your looking to stay 650 or under, i typically will recommend the v3, if your plans are for more, 625+, i usually recommend the paxton. The paxton's peak efficiency is 60,000 rpms,

i spin my vortech JT (same as the 2200 oil fed unit) at 63000 rpms, gets the most out of it, it makes 1003 rwhp through the auto.

the vortech also has the option for the black kit. which works very well. on the boss 302's we have seen as much as 700rwhp with the v3 unit with supporting mods, headers, cai,

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
9.00 at 155 is very appealing. Im so torn on turbos or paxton. Pushing the stock motor on the Boss scares me a bit.

kbroush

Established Member
thats actually an easy question to answer,

one isn't necessarily better than the other. The 2200 has more power potential than the v3 unit. The v3 has a peak efficiency of 52000 rpms, so, you can "max" the blower out easier, with larger pullies.

at the entry level, it is pretty efficient. if your looking to stay 650 or under, i typically will recommend the v3, if your plans are for more, 625+, i usually recommend the paxton. The paxton's peak efficiency is 60,000 rpms,

i spin my vortech JT (same as the 2200 oil fed unit) at 63000 rpms, gets the most out of it, it makes 1003 rwhp through the auto.

the vortech also has the option for the black kit. which works very well. on the boss 302's we have seen as much as 700rwhp with the v3 unit with supporting mods, headers, cai,

That's what I like about the Vortech kit is the black finish. It really does look good. I would want 700+rwhp. So, if I did ARH long tube headers and full 3" exhaust with the vortech and cai it should make that? And I assume that would require 93 octane?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
9.00 at 155 is very appealing. Im so torn on turbos or paxton. Pushing the stock motor on the Boss scares me a bit.

the paxton kit would take you as far as you ever want to go on the stock boss engine

That's what I like about the Vortech kit is the black finish. It really does look good. I would want 700+rwhp. So, if I did ARH long tube headers and full 3" exhaust with the vortech and cai it should make that? And I assume that would require 93 octane?

700 would be maxing the kit out, i don't think you'll see over that.

you could always go with the polished paxton setup, it looks really nice to,

if your looking for 700+, that's the way i would go

Bloodykisses

Mopar troll.
Established Member
the paxton kit would take you as far as you ever want to go on the stock boss engine

700 would be maxing the kit out, i don't think you'll see over that.

you could always go with the polished paxton setup, it looks really nice to,

if your looking for 700+, that's the way i would go

Will the stock engine take me to 9's? :thumbsup:

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread