Procharger or N/A

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Ok. Even if what you said is true (which it's not) the centri car is still, in your words, faster.

Lol. Last I checked, 125 mph is faster than 123.

Who is the moron now?

When I had the Paxton I trapped 127mph my very first pass shifting into 5th gear with 3.73s. Full weight with a subwoofer in the rear with 19" drag radials, front swaybar, 91 octane, in 90 degree summer heat.

Boosted car makes more power 10 times out of 10 assuming $5-6k budget. This is not even arguable.

NOBODY cares about how much power you are making. Stop trolling.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Buying all parts new, buying handheld tunerand paying for a tuner to tune the car, what is the cheapest price for a F/I kit on the 5.0's? Now, what about suspension, tires, etc. again, all new to compare apples to apples.

Trap speed doesn't mean you had a better ET than the other car. You can trap higher and still run a slower time. Trap just shows your RWHP coming into play where ET shows how fast the car actually is with its current setup.

Yes, a high trapping car will 9/10 beat a lower trapping car in a roll race. Doesn't mean they are faster at a track.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
@jumpmaster2015...

except for you seeing that you took the time to quote 2 of my posts on 2 separate occasions.

I'm flattered... Really. Everyone enjoys an admirer!

Now go educate yourself on what it takes to get to 500 NA whp and then come back with simething useful to post.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
@jumpmaster2015...

except for you seeing that you took the time to quote 2 of my posts on 2 separate occasions.

I'm flattered... Really. Everyone enjoys an admirer!

Now go educate yourself on what it takes to get to 500 NA whp and then come back with simething useful to post.

Simething useful to post.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Ok. Even if what you said is true (which it's not) the centri car is still, in your words, faster.

Lol. Last I checked, 125 mph is faster than 123.

Who is the moron now?

When I had the Paxton I trapped 127mph my very first pass shifting into 5th gear with 3.73s. Full weight with a subwoofer in the rear with 19" drag radials, front swaybar, 91 octane, in 90 degree summer heat.

Boosted car makes more power 10 times out of 10 assuming $5-6k budget. This is not even arguable.

Don't feel like turning this into a name calling thread so I apologize for calling you a moron.

I'm not disagreeing that a centri car will be faster than an na car. What I am saying is for people always saying skip the bolt ons and just go boost right away. I disagree with that from what I've explained already.

Also, you miss read what I wrote. I said plenty of stock cammed cars go 123. Add cams to those and plenty of people have gone over 125. Sean04 he has more done than your typical full bolt on car, but has gone 130mph. In his cammed boss. But, point is a cammed full bolt on car will trap 125+.

I have seen, in person and on the forums centri cars with very minimal supporting mods struggle to trap 125mph.

But absolutley, yes ultimately the boosted car will go faster. But it'll cost more money obviously. Do you understand at all, or just going to purposely ds agree with everything ?

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
I agree, and never implied my car will make more power than a boosted setup. I am a mechanic by trade and hobby so the NA build has been a blast. I WILL stand by my money statement. I only have cams left to buy and the total will be 4000 or so in parts.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Let me help you.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ew-on-Naturally-Aspirated-522rwhp-Build/page2

While I would agree this car is bad ass, its power output simply cannot be compared to a boosted car with the same $$ invested. Only point I'm trying to make.

Also... That car only makes 375 wheel torque or thereabouts.

I'm not comparing power numbers. I'm talking about actual real life, meaningful numbers. Trap speed. Seen soooo many cars that make xxx rwhp but don't trap that. Trap is a much more accurate representation of horsepower.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's the thing. As you know, for power mods we have a 2 choices that offer few compromises.

1. NA with a cap of about 475 whp. 500 of you really push it and allow some compromises in nvh, drivability, and interior comfort.

2. Boost which starts about 550 whp with the ability of getting 700 whp for little to no further investment.

What is the budget? That's what is almost always comes down to.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not comparing power numbers. I'm talking about actual real life, meaningful numbers. Trap speed. Seen soooo many cars that make xxx rwhp but don't trap that. Trap is a much more accurate representation of horsepower.

My post you quoted was for the other guy.. But yeah.. I agree w you.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Sean04 thread, went 133mph. He does have ftw fuel, and like I said more done than your typical bolt on car (outside of cams)

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1051756-Went-10-47-133-NA-13-Boss

Corey has gone 126 with a cammed setup , only made 1 or 2 passes hell go faster. Look what Brett and danner have done also. Pure stock, he's on the stock manifold and stock cams going 125+.

But again, I fully agree once you start putting other parts on a centri car, full exhaust, wastegatw, more boost, fuel of course it'll go faster.

Imo budget for budget at $6k, the na car will be faster.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Here's the thing. As you know, for power mods we have a 2 choices that offer few compromises.

1. NA with a cap of about 475 whp. 500 of you really push it and allow some compromises in nvh, drivability, and interior comfort.

2. Boost which starts about 550 whp with the ability of getting 700 whp for little to no further investment.

What is the budget? That's what is almost always comes down to.

For the most part I'll agree. But again, not just talking about power numbers. With the budget included you can do quite a bit of weight reduction on the na car.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, and never implied my car will make more power than a boosted setup. I am a mechanic by trade and hobby so the NA build has been a blast. I WILL stand by my money statement. I only have cams left to buy and the total will be 4000 or so in parts.

Not unless you get parts at cost. No way you stay at $4k for a full NA build.

CJ setup--$1600-1700 or so
Cams--$1600
Headers--$700
X pipe--$300
Cat back--$400
Boss cnc heads--$2600
Tune--$350

That's almost $8k right there and counting...

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Imo budget for budget at $6k, the na car will be faster.

I have $6k in my current set up and there is no chance any of those cars can compete from a roll. It would be an absolute ass beating. On 10-11 psi this car is making close to 700 with the twins.

Sean04 and a few of the others will be faster in the 1/4 mile but that is the only place they win as my car is not set up chassis-wise for the drag strip.

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member

Cams--$1600
Headers--$700
X pipe--$300
Cat back--$400
Boss cng heads--$2600
Tune--$350

I did not pay anything close to 1600 for my cj setup or even close to 400 on my three inch cat back pipes. You can achieve 500whp without ported heads, its called e85. Where are you getting your info?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
So you are buying used parts?

I'm talking a max effort NA build. Do you know what max effort means? I mean that seriously.

DaBigBone

Established Member
If you gave me $6k I'd go with a boosted setup in a heartbeat. Drivability is much better as well as making more power.

pickles

Established Member
Me personally, I couldn't justify a full blown n/a build since I only go to the track a few times a year. I'm quite happy cruising there with 3.31 gears, pump gas, no weight reduction, and launching the car nicely to a low low 11 or high 10 @ 125+ mph. This year with the changes I made I expect to be easy high 10's around 130 mph. And in mexico, from a roll it hauls ass.

But to each their own. I rarely see anyone regret going boost, instead that they regret not going that route sooner.

nate714

Established Member
Man Scalla and gimmie11's you two at each other's throats again? Who stole who's woman? Neither of you is stupid, you guys love to get hung up on quoting/paraphrasing lol

SCalla1384

Established Member

Cams--$1600
Headers--$700
X pipe--$300
Cat back--$400
Boss cnc heads--$2600
Tune--$350

Subtract the heads as those aren't really necessary. Stock heads will do, of a port job. But I wasn't including the heads in the build.

Also, you have $6k into yours? The exhaust, injectors, and whatever else? Not including tuning.

I stand by my statement. Put a budget of a base blower kit done correctly (upgraded t bolts, radiator tank, bov, plugs, boost gauge etc) and sticking that money into an na car, my money is on the na car for sure. Once you get past that point where you put an exhaust on the centri car, or a wastegate then the centri car "should" be faster.

Me personally, I couldn't justify a full blown n/a build since I only go to the track a few times a year. I'm quite happy cruising there with 3.31 gears, pump gas, no weight reduction, and launching the car nicely to a low low 11 or high 10 @ 125+ mph. This year with the changes I made I expect to be easy high 10's around 130 mph. And in mexico, from a roll it hauls ass.

But to each their own. I rarely see anyone regret going boost, instead that they regret not going that route sooner.

I agree. I can easily understand why people don't want to. Plus you don't have the best air around you lol. I'm fortunate where the da around me can go from +2000' to -100' lol

Man Scalla and gimmie11's you two at each other's throats again? Who stole who's woman? Neither of you is stupid, you guys love to get hung up on quoting/paraphrasing lol

:D

Users who are viewing this thread