problems with the TR-3650

air_commando88

Established Member
I have an 04 gt that sometimes going from a light has problems going into gear after re engaging the clutch and also sometimes going from first to second. i was just wondering if this was normal on these cars. a local transmission shop said it could be a dried up pilot bearing so i was just going to buy a clutch kit and replace the whole thing. there is no noise or grinding while this is happening so before i spend a few hundred dollars i thought i would try to get more info! any help would be great!

air_commando88

Established Member
i wish i could but not in the budget...i'm going to get the pilot bearing checked, possibly buy a whole new clutch kit. is it possible it could be a binding clutch cable?

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I had that problem, I put a new clutch in and then the stock cable broke. Now has a Steeda cable in it and its fine. But the trans is poor quality as it does still bind on me every once in awhile.

DarkReaper

Established Member
Try this....

I had a 03 Mach1 with the T-3650 had the same problem...before you spend the money it may sound stupid but check and change the fluid...I would recommend ford mercon full sythetic from the dealer but you also can run AMSoil or Royal Purple I wouldnt use any thing else......But dont use mercon 5what ever you do................

air_commando88

Established Member
I had a 03 Mach1 with the T-3650 had the same problem...before you spend the money it may sound stupid but check and change the fluid...I would recommend ford mercon full sythetic from the dealer but you also can run AMSoil or Royal Purple I wouldnt use any thing else......But dont use mercon 5what ever you do................

yea i tried that, it seemed to help for a little bit but then went back to what it was doin. i took it to the shop and it turns out that the pilot bearing was pretty worn and was wearing into the input shaft, i wanted to call b.s. but i have the bearing now to prove it! cost me 800 for new clutch kit, resurface of the flywheel and install. but it works great now! thanks for the help guys

jtcreasy

Established Member
never had a problem with mine in 118k miles, but will keep an eye on it now. i always heard the tr-3650 was a great trans though

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
my 3rd gear synchro went out in my first one and my 2nd one had a bad whine, even after i put new TOB in it and input shaft bearings. Im not fond of them

spike_africa

Established Member
Best thing I ever did was put a Steeda shifter in it and beat the **** out of it. At first it was a bit notchey, but after a little break in she has been pretty smooth. I mean I get the not wanting to go into 1st or R sometimes and you have to put it in N and let the clutch out for a sec or two then it slips right in deal. But I have yet to own a manual car where that didn't happen sometimes.

air_commando88

Established Member
Best thing I ever did was put a Steeda shifter in it and beat the **** out of it. At first it was a bit notchey, but after a little break in she has been pretty smooth. I mean I get the not wanting to go into 1st or R sometimes and you have to put it in N and let the clutch out for a sec or two then it slips right in deal. But I have yet to own a manual car where that didn't happen sometimes.

first off, i'm not an idiot..i've owned multiple manuals and have had this one for going on four years. I too have a steeda shifter on the car. I tried many of these guy's helpful suggestions before even going down the route i chose. I would have much rather spent that money on upgrading the car than putting it into replacement parts!

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
mine has been good to me and i beat the shit out of it

however it was absolute crap until i had the TSB done on it

rare99z

Established Member
mine has the same problem you are mentioning. I just hope it makes it another year before I have to rip into it and fix it or buy a tko

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
With these trans its 50/50. There are people beating the shit out of it and its holding up great while for other its breaking left and right. Hope you get it fixed.

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
There was a tsb out for this issue. Mine is notchy goin into second and third for the first few miles till its warmed up and then shifts like butter. I already had a brand new tko in my last stang. I like this 3650 better. Soon as funds allow, Im gonna drop the trans off at hanlons to have him do all the updates and or upgrade the internals. Also depends if I decide to keep this car. I really like it and plan on keeping it even when i do buy a new stang. Feelings change though

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
what was the TSB on it?

bassically tearing into the trans and replacing a few things. Still gonna cost you some good money.
edit, Also i did some searching for a different fluid to try and I wound up putting in royal purple. I forget exactly what weight dude so i cant help you there. honestly, it made about 20 percent difference

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread