problems with the TR-3650

air_commando88

Established Member
bassically tearing into the trans and replacing a few things. Still gonna cost you some good money.
edit, Also i did some searching for a different fluid to try and I wound up putting in royal purple. I forget exactly what weight dude so i cant help you there. honestly, it made about 20 percent difference

appreciate the help man, ill look into it

maxgt281

Established Member
I've felt like there is a whining noise in my 01 lately too. I had the fluid changed at about 50k a while ago. My friend is a ford mechanic and he said mercon V is recommended, but after reading the owners manual, it says mobil 1 syn ATF. I was thining of changing it soon as it has 125k now, but don't know which is right. Is royal purple worth the extra $?

SVT GT

Established Member
According to the word that has been going around for just over a year...Tremec has said do not use Royal Purple in the 3650 and add only 3 liters / 3.2 quarts of GM Synchromesh #12345349 or Pennzoil Syncromesh. They found that the reason the 3650 feels notchy during 1-2 and 2-3 shifts is because of the factory recommended 3.8 liters. This additional .8 liters raises the fluid level high enough that when the gear is moving for engagement it is slowed down by the drag of the fluid decelerating it enough to not properly engage the next gear. Many have tried this and all with positive results...including me.

Users who are viewing this thread