problems with coil #8 check engine light

Dlic

Established Member
Anyone ever have check engine light for #8 car runs perfect. Light keeps coming on. Any ideas?

Dlic

Established Member
Just figured I'd start here see what the experts have to say. Will be pulling it apart ASAP light came on when I did a auto cross. So I was giving the car hell.

Dlic

Established Member
I can't remember the code I checked it a couple weeks ago. Don't drive the car often. I'll have to get the code again.

Dlic

Established Member
No I didn't do anything yet I just wanted to see what everyone had to say first. I think it's just a coil but I don't know these motors at all. What's this another # 8???! The car is basically stock.axle back cold air intake and tune. That's it!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
No I didn't do anything yet I just wanted to see what everyone had to say first. I think it's just a coil but I don't know these motors at all. What's this another # 8???! The car is basically stock.axle back cold air intake and tune. That's it!

These coils are not very common for going out FYI. Easiest thing to do is pull the plug and see if it has oil on it.

Dlic

Established Member
Thanks to almost everyone !!
I will re post when I pull the plug.

Joey8

Established Member

who tuned it?

chancejat

Established Member
this is a know problem dlic, just google mustang number 8 and you will find multiple 11-12 mustangs with cyl 8 failures....dealer will always void the warranty bc of the tune, the first step in diagnostics is to check for a tune.

Last edited:

Dlic

Established Member
Not sure who tuned it. I just got the car this way.
UPDATE: pulled the plug. Has oil on the threads and burnt oil on the tip something is going on. Just not sure what. Swapped coils 7 to 8. Doubt that's the problem.

mhyjek

Established Member
Not sure who tuned it. I just got the car this way.
UPDATE: pulled the plug. Has oil on the threads and burnt oil on the tip something is going on. Just not sure what. Swapped coils 7 to 8. Doubt that's the problem.
Doesn't sound good... Do a compression test and see where are all the cylinders at. Did you buy from ford a certified used? If yes and you didn't tune it should be handled by the dealer you bought it at.

Users who are viewing this thread