Problems replacing the 12mm IRS bolt

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
So I've ready numerous posts and I've tried everything I can think of but I can't get that 9/16 bolt in the passenger side IRS mount. I have the drivers side in place but not tightened down. I went ahead and loosened the rear IRS bolts as well but the bushing is like less than 1/8th of an inch off and I can't seem to get it lined up. Does anyone have any tricks on getting this lined up or a place I can get a pry bar to get it to move forward just a little?

I've put the jack under it and the height is fine but it needs to come forward some. I didn't think it would be this difficult to get in.

03' White Snake

Established Member
They are tough to get in. I removed the 2 upper bolts and springs. Lower the back of the subframe down. Then you can pry the subframe forward / back to get the bolts in. Then raise the subframe, re-install the springs. I had trouble aligning the rear subframe into the pockets, it was lifting the car off the stands without going in. I opened my trunk, stood in it and gave a little bounce. Then it slid right in. Do this until the bolt hole lines up and good to go.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I just ran mine in pushing real hard on the impact gun. It wouldn't go in just using a socket and ratchet.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I used a pry bar behind the irs subframe off of something on the body, can't remember what though, something that was pretty solid. It didn't take alot of effort, but I couldn't get it to go before that.

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I used a pry bar behind the irs subframe off of something on the body, can't remember what though, something that was pretty solid. It didn't take alot of effort, but I couldn't get it to go before that.

Are you talking the front of the IRS or in the back somewhere?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Lets see here. A 9/16" bolt will not fit in the rear upper subframe mount holes. The 9/16" bolts go in the front lower subframe mounts. Maybe thats your issue.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Lets see here. A 9/16" bolt will not fit in the rear upper subframe mount holes. The 9/16" bolts go in the front lower subframe mounts. Maybe thats your issue.

I think he's referring to the front. A 9/16 bolt won't even make it past the bracket and crush sleeve which would be pretty apparent plus the cage nut is metric.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I thought originally he was talking about the front bolts, but now I'm confused.

Look up www.fulltiltboogieracing.com they have instructional videos on there that are very helpful.

I replaced my front bolts in about 20 mins. I had a hard time getting the subframe into the rear upper supports. But I stated above how I got it to go in.

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I got it in finally. Ended up prying back by the gas tank and the back of the IRS. Was afraid to do this at first, thought I might put a hole in the gas tank but it worked. Got that fixed then the CEL decides to come on...always something lol. Thanks for your help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread