Problem with Steering and AdvanceTrac

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Much better than me. I have no patience for ignorance. They would either fix the car of give me a rental to drive until they can get it worked out. If I had no mods somebody needs to find one in the area just like mine and have it delivered to me so I can put my plates on it and let FORD work it out.

Been a while since I have been under mine but the computer is built into the front of the rack. You need to remove the dust shields to get a good view of it. Right above the pan that holds the rack fluid and has about 6 connectors going to it. I have never had any problems though and mine turns pretty decent with the car off. Like any non power car. I always cut the car off and roll it by hand in the garages because don't want to hit anything with it. Steering wheel moves pretty freely. Did they do the reflash to it. There was a TSB somewhere about it. My car never had any problems so I didn't do it. Suppose to reflash the car because of some sort of shutter in the steering

NuclearPower

Established Member
The TSB does not apply to my car. It had it done before it came off the assembly line. Mine did not shutter, it was a loss of communication. Same location as yours, at the rack on passenger side behind the dust shield. I am going to call Ford service and SVT service tomorrow at work. I agree that this is a big liability and I will be asking why I was not offered a loaner regardless of back order status. The service rep also told me to call and complain an see what happens. I'll keep folks posted.

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
I hope that folks are getting something from this, or will in the future. I kind of feel like I am talking to myself...

So I called Ford customer service today, the 800 number in the owners manual. Got a very nice lady that took all my info and told me that she had to contact the dealer for more information. After a couple of minutes on hold she came back on and told me that she was immediately escalating this to her manager and that I should hear back in no later than 2 days. That was at about 10am. After lunch about 2pm I got a call from the regional manager of customer service and she said that the car is not safe to drive and that she was authorizing an additional 10 days and she was personnally going to try to expedite the part as fast as possible. The current best ETA is April 23!!!

In any event I think that Ford has stepped up. I'm not happy about the situation, but they are taking care of it and not leaving me footing the bill. Good job Ford. The only down sides are my car is not fixed and the rental sucks...damn corolla

NuclearPower

Established Member
So I got an update today, that the parts are being made at the vendor facility as fast as possible. The parts are going to the overnighted when completed, but the best ETA is still the end of the month. Better than April 23 as originally told, but still a long time. I'll hear back from Ford if I get to keep the rental car at their expense next week...

Has nobody experienced this before...the loss of the electric motor? On the mustang that is...

Van@RevanRacing

So I got an update today, that the parts are being made at the vendor facility as fast as possible. The parts are going to the overnighted when completed, but the best ETA is still the end of the month. Better than April 23 as originally told, but still a long time. I'll hear back from Ford if I get to keep the rental car at their expense next week...

Has nobody experienced this before...the loss of the electric motor? On the mustang that is...

This sucks. I have not seen an electric power steering assist fail.

You know, they keep it more than 30 days its eligible for Lemon Law.

Hope this gets resolved quickly to your satisfaction.

Van

NuclearPower

Established Member
This sucks. I have not seen an electric power steering assist fail.

You know, they keep it more than 30 days its eligible for Lemon Law.

Hope this gets resolved quickly to your satisfaction.

Van

They have seen electric steering failures in the F150 and in either the focus or fusion I forget which. BUT they have not really seen it in the Mustang. That seems to be supported by searching on the net for failures. Are you sure about the lemon law thing? I thought that it was 3 tries for the same item.

Van@RevanRacing

They have seen electric steering failures in the F150 and in either the focus or fusion I forget which. BUT they have not really seen it in the Mustang. That seems to be supported by searching on the net for failures. Are you sure about the lemon law thing? I thought that it was 3 tries for the same item.

Check your State Law for Lemon. In Florida if they have it longer than 30 days to repair a single issue you can file. I had another customer that had an issue they kept it and at 28 days they asked him to pick it up because it was taking up a lift. After a quick consultation with a lawyer he left it and then won his case on the Lemon Law definition in Florida. Each state is different.

Van

E.Marquez

Established Member

Lemon Law

http://lemonlawtexas.org/

It's not as simple as some states, better then others..
there several and / or's

A buddy had to do it with his Dodge truck,,, he used the multi shop vist no fix part.. and it took a lawyer to get it going in the end.
In TX I understand it is an abitration deal.. It is not as cut and dried as.. 3 x no fix, or 30 days no fix and....

NuclearPower

Established Member
Thanks for the info...right now I am pleased so far with the way they are trying to fix the situation, but if it happens again then I'll reevaluate.

What really sucks is that I still the LCA and UCA in the boxes in the garage to put on!!!

NuclearPower

Established Member
So I talked with the dealership today, the service rep. Now they are telling me that the date that they see for the part is May 7!:cuss:

I asked for the service manager to call me so that I could figure out where that date is coming from after being told "the end of March" last week.

Need help from folks on the outside looking in as to what they would do. Keep in mind I bought this car to use as my daily driver. Would you be okay so long as Ford continued to give you a rental, or should I start asking for car payment since 1 month is coming up???

beachboybum9

Chris
Established Member
Me personally I'd throw a shit storm!:cuss: I'd say screw the local dealer, and work directly with Ford HQ. From you're easier post seems they were more helpful. My general experiences tell me sales reps at local dealers tend to be worthless. When in doubt, keep moving up the chain of bosses/managers/executives until you find someone high up enough on the chain that can pull some real strings....or a legal consultant....

I just pray that my 2012 doesn't start acting a fool like yours! I've had it for about 6 months and, as far as steering issues, have had to get the tie rods adjusted because my steering wheel was way off center (to the right) by more than just a few degrees. Dealer fixed it no sweat.

Good luck!

417207_645587141211_18000815_33222105_1373831758_n.jpg

Last edited:

NuclearPower

Established Member
So talked with the regional manager on Friday and she said that she would call again during the week. She still hasn't heard from one of her suppliers, so she can't give me any new information.

I did hear her say that they were shipping 20 units out but that she doesn't think I am going to be one of them because I was number 136. Not sure how to take that. The rack setup is unique to the 2012 Boss and Shelby. 136 out of those number sees like a high number.

Thinking about submitting a NHTSB complaint...

IM3CPO

Established Member
File under the lemon law

Personally, I would consult an attorney and go the lemon law route. Maybe you end up getting a 2013 free and clear? I am a little baised as I am in the legal profession, but I have personally witnessed people win on lemon law claims for much less of an issue than you describe.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Problem is that under Texas I can't find a way around giving them at least 1 try to fix the problem. Even for a serious fault it still talks about giving them one chance at repair. I would basically be having a lawyer represent me to a judge and whoever Ford would send to Texas on their behalf. Looking at the 2010 records there were only a dozen or so buybacks, most were repair...

I'll see what they tell me this coming week. If I have to wait more than 1 month then I am going to ask them to pay for part of the loan payment for the month as I am NOT in a comparable car...

NuclearPower

Established Member
Got an update today and was told that there is no date determined...

Ford has a quality concern that is to be resolved first, as a result no date for part...

For now I am still in the rental...

NuclearPower

Established Member
On who's nickel? Your's or Ford's?

Ford's. Funny too because it is a toyota, corolla none the less...didn't even give me a Ford. I get the impression that if it takes too much longer they are going to ask for the rental back...been 4 weeks on Friday

Users who are viewing this thread