Problem with Steering and AdvanceTrac

NuclearPower

Established Member
So start the day off just like normal, driving in with no problem, then the 2 track light come on and the electric steering goes away as I am trying to make a left hand turn!Drove down a ways to a safe spot and turned the car off then on again, but no luck still had the lights and the elec steering was still gone. The message center said serive AdvanceTrack System, or something to that effect. Anybody else with these issues? It is a 2012 so it is going into shop, but just wondering.

slynch68

Established Member
Check the fuses that are on the positive battery post. Usually those are blown and ford should have them. 100amps iirc

NuclearPower

Established Member
What would cause them to blow so soon? The car isn't even a year old! Dropped it off earlier today so hopefully will hear something back. I also told them about the 4 paint imperfections that are on the car. Hopefully the warranty covers that...

Please tell me this can not be related to the Bob's oil catch can that uses one of the ground straps by the battery...

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Yep that's what did it. No waranty for you. I love when they make it so easy. Just kidding. Only thing I have read about was a nibble that was going on with the EPAS. A reflash updated the firmware and supposedly cured the problem. Never heard of any fuses blowing. So when they blew, you had no steering or no power assisted steering. Reason I ask, if your say playing around with it there is a possibility of losing the steering.

One would think if you placed the bracket on top of the wires leaving them against the frame the catch can shouldn't make a difference. Good luck. Me personally I would remove the catch can before it gets to the dealer. One less thing for them to blame it on.

Black Sex

Established Member
Im also curious as to if the steering worked at all also. If not that could be a scary situation. Im assuming you still would but....

NuclearPower

Established Member
Im also curious as to if the steering worked at all also. If not that could be a scary situation. Im assuming you still would but....

The steering still worked, albiet hard as crap. It was harder than steering an old manual steering car and harder than steering a car with hydualic pump that went out. Do-able, but it was somewhat scary. Especially since I drive it every day on Texas FM roads and it went out when I was making a left turn across traffic doing 60...

have you heard anything? Any updates?

Hope to hear today. I'll post when I hear something...

Saw this before, just dug up the thread. Looks like could be yaw rate sensors:

"Service Advancetrac" - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Thanks!!! I'll let folks know if this is the same for me.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Nothing definitive yet...they said that they experienced the same issue that I reported, in other words they believe me that the traction and steering were not working. They did not tell what codes, but the service tech said that it threw a bunch of codes and that when the tech was following the guide and was told to clear a particular code that everything started working again and went back to normal. The tech thinks that ot os the power steering module, but they are waiting for the master ford tech in detroit to call them back with what to do.

Hopefully I will have more to say tomorrow.

NuclearPower

Established Member
So I actually went to the dealership today since I have not been getting any calls...

The adivsor told me that the tech had talked with the master tech at Ford HQ and based on the codes and the way it reset that the entire rack unit is to be replaced. Apparantly the computer unit that controls the rack is built into the side of the rack where the motor mounts on the passenger side. I wish I could confirm this, but can't since I don't have any of the books or a parts list. Anybody out there that can help by crawling under your 2011+ to let me know would be greatly appreciated.

The other interesting thing that I found out was that the rack was on backorder and that they were NOT giving out eta's for shipment. He said he thought maybe a week because I was on the "expedited" back order list. &^% (*&^ ^%#:fm::mj:

A WEEK! F^&K!!!! So then I asked about a loaner and he couldn't answer...Since I have the extended warranty I get 10 days of rental, but this sounds like a lot longer than that!

The good news is that it doesn't sound like the ground from the Bob's catch can is related, although I still don't know what that second ground goes too, has anybody figured that out yet?

I'll post codes if I am able to get them from the tech, and I'll post part numbers also.

NuclearPower

Established Member
So I picked up the car today and its not fixed. As I posted in the earlier post the rack is on back order. I talked with the tech and he told me that the code was for the power steering control module loss of communication. I will find the sheet and post the code in just a bit. Anyway, he thinks that the power steering control module just freaked out. The master tech at ford said to replace the whole rack because the motor and computer are all built into the rack as one unit. It costs 1200 with a 400 core charge. I will post the part number also. Apparently this is a somewhat known issue, he wouldn't tell me how many were on back order, but he said don't be surprized if it takes a month...F&^K! He said that if it happens to me again I should undue the 100A fuse from the positive cable and see if that resets the system again.

Somehow it locked out the electric steering, the ABS, and the AdvanceTrac system. Ford said that it is not supposed to happen that way...go figure.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Forgot to post up about the interaction. On the 2011+ some folks have a misconception about what controls what, so here goes...

The ford tech said that the ABS, AdvanceTrac, power steering control module, and the main ECU all communicate back and forth with each other. If one fails it is not supposed to disable any other, except that if the AdvanceTrac has a freeze it WILL mess with the ABS and the power steering control module even if those lights do not come on. In my case it should not have caused the electric steering to completly fail, but just to the default standard setting. Similarly if the power steering control module freezes it WILL mess with the AdvanceTrac, but not the ABS...

They tweaked this on the 2012s, so it is different than the 2011 and apparently the 2013s will be tweaked even more.

NuclearPower

Established Member
man stuff like this makes me glad i have traditional power steering

Could still happen with traditional power steering, but not as likely since primarily mechanical and it is a little easier to steer if it does fail. That's the price of "advancement"...

To be honest, I like the electric steering better than the hydrualic. It seems to have a faster response. There is absolutely no delay in the response of the turn. Just IMO.

NuclearPower

Established Member
Okay, here is the code and part number...

Code: U0131 and then he had OO-OA ABS. Not sure about the other stuff and he did not write down any of the secondary codes since they seemed to be "under" the U0131 code. He also had written down No Communication with PSCM.

Part Number: CR3Z 3504 CE Gear Asy $1,124.66 with a Core Exchange of $400.00

Hope this has been helpful to folks. Car is still driving like normal right now.

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I had a weird problem this past September. I autocrossed my car for the first time. Even though I had all the traction control bs turned off, it kicked back on and gave me the service advactrac light. I turned the car off and the light would go away. I go make another run and it would do it again. I haven't the problem again but I haven't driven it that hard. I hope to get a tuner and go to the next autocross. If it pops up again, maybe I can see what codes it's throwing.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Okay, here is the code and part number...

Code: U0131 and then he had OO-OA ABS. Not sure about the other stuff and he did not write down any of the secondary codes since they seemed to be "under" the U0131 code. He also had written down No Communication with PSCM.

Part Number: CR3Z 3504 CE Gear Asy $1,124.66 with a Core Exchange of $400.00

Hope this has been helpful to folks. Car is still driving like normal right now.

so its not covered under warranty????

NuclearPower

Established Member
As of now it is covered by warranty. The car is less than a year old and I have not done any modifications to the car, other than Bob's oil can. The problem is that this is my daily driver and I do not have a third vehicle, so I need a loaner or a rental. My exteneded warranty covers 10 days, but based on the fact that it is on expedited back order they have no clue how long it will take to come in and when they do it they are hopefully going to fix the 4 paint defects in the top and the truck lid. The dealer has been okay, but not great. I don't think that any service advisor will ever satisfy my OCD:-D

This morning on my way to the gym the electric steering went out again and the Service AdvanceTrac came back on. I unplugged the 100A fuse from the battery and it reset it again. Currently back to normal, we will see how long it lasts.

I'll let folks know what happens as it happens.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
That sounds like a dangerous situation. I can't believe Ford isn't all over this with the possability of civil liability should something really bad come of it (A-la the Lexus and Toyota "unintended acceleration" issue).
I could deal with not having traction control or ABS for a little bit, but not having power stearing in a car that weighs this much at the nose and rolls on 19 or 20" wheels that are a foot wide at the tire is just a recipe for disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread