Problem replacing front brake pads

MrMason

Established Member
I was trying to replace my front brake pads today and I ran into a problem. The new pads wouldn't fit over the rotor. I got these pads Hawk Performance: Brake Parts Search they just would not fit. I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure they sent the right ones I am just stumped. Does anyone have any experience with these pads? If these are the correct pads I guess I will send them back and get some new ones. What pads do you recommend?

Evan5469

Established Member
The link you posted just takes me to the general search on Hawk's wesbite. As far as your problem, the only thing I can think to tell you is double check to make sure the piston in the caliper is compressed as far back as it can go. Then you should be able to get them over the rotor with no problem.

MrMason

Established Member
Sorry about the link, part number is HB111F.610 HPS Performance Street w/0.610 Thickness. I compressed the pistons as far as they would go, even had a friend come over and try just to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I felt pretty stupid that I couldn't get front pads on, but he couldn't get it either.

MrMason

Established Member
Very strange. I wonder if I got a pair that wasn't cut enough or something. If anything they should shit easier over the rotor since it has been used.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
You can rent a free tool to compress the back ones from autozone or the like if you do them, AS far as the front you may have to crack the bleeder valve in order to relieve the pressure so the pistons will compress. I use and old brake pad and a big C clamp to compress them.

MrMason

Established Member
You can rent a free tool to compress the back ones from autozone or the like if you do them, AS far as the front you may have to crack the bleeder valve in order to relieve the pressure so the pistons will compress. I use and old brake pad and a big C clamp to compress them.

Thanks for the reply. I used a big c-clamp and the old pad to compress the pistons back. And I did crack the bleeder valve. There was no way the pistons would compress anymore than they were.

Jroc

Established Member
Try putting the little tapered angel over the rotor, and working it back and forth to get it to slip on.

Honestly you should count your blessings, and get your money back for those POS HPS pads while they're still new, and then just order you some factory Motorcraft pads so that you'll know their trouble free. I can't stand my HPS pads, and as far as braking goes there really isn't much if any improvement over the factory pads with them.

MrMason

Established Member
Try putting the little tapered angel over the rotor, and working it back and forth to get it to slip on.

Honestly you should count your blessings, and get your money back for those POS HPS pads while they're still new, and then just order you some factory Motorcraft pads so that you'll know their trouble free. I can't stand my HPS pads, and as far as braking goes there really isn't much if any improvement over the factory pads with them.

lol I tried that too. They just will not go on. Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely going to be returning these.

biglew

Established Member
Only other thing I can think of if the pistons are completely in the calipers, is to make sure that the pads are seated all the way in the calipers also. I had to kinda force the pads in the calipers so they seated all the way.

Jefe

Established Member
Any pics? Just wonder how close you are to fitting them over the rotor. Any shims on the back of the pads preventing them from sitting properly? Had a lot of fun doing my pads a couple weekends ago. Took me 2 hours to get one side on and then 20 mins to do the other. Had to bleed them a bit while compressing and I had to get it to the point where the piston was inside of the housing completely. With my EBC pads they fit just snug over brand new rotors.

snakebite6

Established Member
make sure your putting the pads in the right side. You should have a left and right pad for each brake. So make sure you are putting the right ones on each side.

Jefe

Established Member
make sure your putting the pads in the right side. You should have a left and right pad for each brake. So make sure you are putting the right ones on each side.
:??: How can you tell the difference?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

not for street use, but if you try to road course with your stockers, they will fade with the quickness. Did you make sure to bed them in properly?

yellow03cobra

Established Member
my pads when hard to get on also, they were just too thick. You have to beat them on the rotor with a rubber mallet. They work great after the first drive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread