Pro Touring 1979 Pace Car build

1969Fastback

*OG Crew*
Established Member
where did you order the trans tunnel heat shielding from? I need to get some of that for my foxbody... holy hell does that thing get HOT from the LT's and TKO600 (car has no A/C)

69clark

Established Member
where did you order the trans tunnel heat shielding from? I need to get some of that for my foxbody... holy hell does that thing get HOT from the LT's and TKO600 (car has no A/C)

I got a good deal on Amazon.com but its from heat sheild products.

69clark

Established Member
Okay, getting some things done. Somethings I can't share just yet.

Got the tunnel modifications finished up.
Tunnel2_zpsbfe667f3.jpg

Tunnel1_zps4a18d677.jpg

Finished the LavaMat under the car. Once I got it done it looked great, but I decided to lock on the seems down with foil tape, just to make sure it doesn't start lifting. They don't say you need to do this, but once the tranny is in the only way to fix it is to remove the tranny, so I just decided to take care of the seems now.
LavaMat1_zpse2ce8667.jpg

LavaMat2_zps7f073454.jpg

LavaMat3_zps756018b1.jpg

Fuel cell back from being modified. For those that haven't seen the car in person, the cell hung low before so I wanted to angle the bottom up to be even with the rear bumper. Just a visual thing. By doing this, we also created a natural sump. More pics to come when I mount the pump to it and mount the cell.
FuelCell1_zps754d9ffd.jpg

FuelCell2_zps45611c5d.jpg

Started putting in the ScottRod panels.
ScottRod2_zpsf4e03c49.jpg

ScottRod4_zps96fcaf38.jpg

ScottRod3_zps8f6c176d.jpg

ScottRod5_zps33439f02.jpg

Then, i started modifying the strut tower to be more symetric with the drivers side tower, but also for room with the mod motor and those huge valve covers. Gonna look nice once done.
ScottRod6_zps264a70c0.jpg

Here it is with the bottom angled in.
ScottRod7_zps01e184bd.jpg

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
I realize this beautiful machine will probably never see rain for the rest of it's life, but I would have taped the seams like you did. It would suck to have to do it later. On that note, the car looks awesome as usual. Can't wait for the "Finished" product.

69clark

Established Member
A couple more pics of the bay from last night.

Everything tacked here. Ready for final weld and all metal. Couple holes to fill too.
scottrod1_zps3563046e.jpg

Drivers side mockup up.
scottrod2_zpsf55f7e33.jpg

You probably can't really see it here but after reshaping the passenger side tower, I wanted to do a little fine tuning on the drivers side tower.
scottrod3_zps21996fd5.jpg

Here are some pics of the fuel cell again. These are off the bottom of the cell so you can see how it is notched.
cell2_zps165b0f38.png

cell1_zpsf6371198.jpg

69clark

Established Member
I realize this beautiful machine will probably never see rain for the rest of it's life, but I would have taped the seams like you did. It would suck to have to do it later. On that note, the car looks awesome as usual. Can't wait for the "Finished" product.

Thanks. Yeah I thought so too on the seams.

69clark

Established Member
Small update for those that don't follow the build on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

Finally picked up some much needed shop equipment. Already put some of it to use as you will see in the coming pics.
302400_543050139086270_109777014_n_zpsc98e4cd2.jpg

tools2_zps70d7586f.jpg

Got the rearend gear setup and the rearend ready to go back in the car. Had to use the press already for the diff bearings, LOL.
rear1_zps2ad986b7.jpg

rear2_zps320a480c.jpg

Some parts. Received my metco pulley setup, the gauge pod for the console and my dragon TB and plenum.
parts1_zps9c6f95d2.jpg

gaugepod1_zps8f11c3df.png

I have all the parts and extra pieces laided out to start working on the custom plenum.
plenum1_zps83c9d161.jpg

Made the fuel cell straps with the help of the metal brake.
fuelstraps1_zps50207845.jpg

Here is a pic of the Team Z kmember and the Stifflers brace together out of the car. Had to touch up some spots that I needed to weld with some paint.
kmember1_zpsfb6a2286.jpg

Last, my buddy that is painting the bay came down to throw some sparks and get the bay ready for some all metal. This guy is the master, and works fast too. Pics don't do this thing justice and its still bare metal. More to come on this.
enginebay1_zps86efbb64.jpg

enginebay3_zpsda44424f.jpg

enginebay2_zps22cda618.jpg

enginebay4_zps36e020b7.jpg

I even put my other buddy Kris Wilt to work. He is putting a custom finish on the metco lower pulley.
kris1_zps1c89c74a.jpg

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Looking great man. Your attention to detail blows me away everytime I open this thread.

69clark

Established Member
There have been alot of people asking me what the plan was on the firewall for the engine bay work. Well, here it is. If you have been following on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt) you already got the scoop. Stay tuned, more to come.

First bit of business was to start separating the pinch weld.
enginebay1_zps7f163446.jpg

Then we cut the upper part of the firewall/cowl area out to be added back in later. Then we folded the pinch weld inside the cowl area.
enginebay2_zps34dd896c.png

Then we mockup up the cowl piece we cut out to see how it looked with no pinch weld.
enginebay3_zps2d25917d.jpg

Then we cut out the firewall.
enginebay5_zps89c2dcca.jpg

Started making templates for the new sheetmetal. Much thinker metal than stock will be used.
enginebay4_zpscebd5d45.jpg

Pieces cut and held up in place.
enginebay6_zps61b3488c.jpg

Everything mocked up ready for welding.
enginebay7_zpsec41d046.jpg

Welded in and ground down for a good surface for the All Metal to adhere to.
enginebay8_zps31d22f8c.jpg

Getting ready to spread the All Metal. Notice the LateModel Restoration shirt, lol.
enginebay9_zpsa7012f46.jpg

Now, I use alot of we's above, but the one that did the real work was Butch Austin. He is and animal and body guy by trade. So he knows his stuff. Me, not so much. I helped, but this project is really his baby, not mine. Thanks Butch.

The car will soon be going to his shop to get sanded and bodyworked (engine bay) and then painted.

Users who are viewing this thread