Pro Touring 1979 Pace Car build

69clark

Established Member
Whats up gang. i have had some requests to start a build thread here so here it is, my build of my pro touring style Pace Car.

The formula for my build for this car is very simple, I want to build a pace car that mixes the new with the old, yet still retain the look and feel of what makes a 79 pace car a 79 pace car. I want to mix all the latest technology and performance trends with a little flavor of old school. The build will be a Pro-Touring style build like the new trend of many muscle cars being built today by some of the best shops in the nation. (I will go in more detail about the build below).

Because of the cost of the overall build and my relatively small budget, this thread will be somewhat slow. For the last year I have been purchasing the parts and peices as I find them and can get good deals on them. The build is also done in stages because the budget doesn't allow me to purchase everything at once.

So here is the car what the car looked like for 2010.
TomClark_79_pace_car068FEP.jpg

100_0729copy2.jpg

This is the rendering I did of what I am looking to do. As you can see body wise there is much more going on as the way it is is for the most part how it will look. However, the stance, drivetrain, and interior is where the high tech/pro-touring technology will come in.
protouring_pace_car.jpg

Here are some of the parts I have either on the car now or going on over the winter.

Ridetech Shockwaves and struts
Air_ride2.jpg

Racecraft 2" drop spindles
ip_pics094.jpg

Roush Alcon Caplipers for the front
ip_pics115.jpg

Wilwood setup for the rear
Wilwood_brakes011.jpg

Wilwood_brakes003.jpg

Wilwood_brakes016.jpg

Minitub kit and rearend parts. My father is currently narrowing an 8.8 w/ 9" ends by 3" off each side of the housing. Also have custom 31 spline Strange axles for it.
f0498626.png

98d02b81.png

9e9a2be0.png

95a07534.png

Delrin to make our own suspension bushings
delrin1.jpg

These are the wheels I am going with. Budnik GTXs with the matte black centers and brushed lips. 20x12 in the rear and probably 18x8 in the front.
0507sc_14z1962_chevrolet_impalawhee.jpg

Also have a 4.6 DOHC that I will be building up and putting in the car. It will be NA with efi stack induction. It will be similar to this setup.
pacecarmotor.jpg

For now this is the 302 (basically stock) before the 4.6 is done for it.
79PaceCar_Interior013.jpg

The interior is basically done. ALL the plastic interior panels (except the console as I am going to custom build a new console with an Ipad in the car, then it will be covered) have been covered in a leather like material with black stitching. The headliner, dashpad and door inserts are suede and then trimmed out with carbon fiber. Like I said the other than a few things the interior is basically done cosmetically. Heres some progress and finished shots.
79PaceCar_Interior037.jpg

79PaceCar_Interior048.jpg

79PaceCar_Interior039.jpg

79PaceCar_Interior030.jpg

pace_car_interior017.jpg

pace_car_interior003.jpg

pace_car_upholstery003.jpg

pace_car_interior031.jpg

pace_car_upholstery012.jpg

newpics042.jpg

Here is the progress so far this winter. As I stated the rearend is currently being narrowed. I started doing the tubbing and torque box reinforcements.
Fox_minitubs005.jpg

Fox_minitubs019.jpg

Fox_minitubs048.jpg

Here are some pics with the 20x10 wheels from the cobra that I used just for mockup before I order the budnik wheels. Keep in mind this is parked height. The car will roll down the road about 3" higher than this.
Fox_minitubs041.jpg

Fox_minitubs044.jpg

Well that is about the gist of it. I will update as I go but wanted to get this started as and introduction to the build.

Last edited:

Terminator-Fox

Soon...
Established Member
I love 79 Pace Cars! It looked good before but is gonna be straight up nasty after! Good luck with the build, looks like its coming along great.

CGoeschel

Established Member
You've got balls taking an already awesome '79 and cutting it up like that! Can't wait to see it finished but I think I would have left it alone and done a separate car. Good luck!

69clark

Established Member
You've got balls taking an already awesome '79 and cutting it up like that! Can't wait to see it finished but I think I would have left it alone and done a separate car. Good luck!

I can understand that, but you have to look at it this way.

This was the plan when I bought the car from the start. The work I have done so far has been plan all along leading up to this. So I didn't just decide one day that I was going to start cutting up the car. Its just that I have finally decided to start a build thread on here, LOL. If I was to do another car it would be like building the pace car to the point it is now and stopping half way before the build was done and then finding another car. Like I said, keep in mind that everything done to the car so far was in my plan to get to this point I just never covered the build until now.

With that being said, I know some people will worry because it's a "rare" Pace Car to start with but the way I look at it they built over 10,000 of these cars, and any day of the week I can find a nice for sale (I know because I have shopped for them alot). And like I tell everyone, I'm a hot rodder not a collector, LOL.

Last edited:

91svtcoupe

TTop SVT Coupe
Established Member
You are my inspiration.....just wish I could do the work you do.......:beer:

Awesome Job again......:rockon:

Wish we lived closer....seems we have some of the same taste......:idea:

69clark

Established Member
You are my inspiration.....just wish I could do the work you do.......:beer:

Awesome Job again......:rockon:

Wish we lived closer....seems we have some of the same taste......:idea:

Thanks man.

You know I was at Mustang Week last year and was supposed to bring the car, but it didn't work that way.

I would love to bring it this year, but it definately is such a long haul and I would be driving the car, not trailering. I have to talk to my wife and see, but it is a slim chance it will be there this year. I know your always there, right?

95riosnake

Established Member
Damn you Tom, following this build (both here and on foureyedpride) is no doubt going to cost me a lot of money. Just from scrolling through your thread on FEP I already added another winter project to the list.

And I for one am totally with you about cutting up "collector" cars... who cares they're just cars. They were built to be driven and enjoyed, not worshipped and stored to keep miles off them. I'd love to get a 95R or 00R and mod the living shit out of it purely to get all the purists' panties in a bunch.

One of my favorite builds is the guy on theturboforums who is putting the 5.4 DOHC TT into his 93 Cobra with mini tubs and 18x13's with 345's. SO many times I've seen that build discussed on forums and people always end up getting so upset about it lol.

DivineDetail

Established Member
That interior looks spectacular, and that engine bay looks amazing! Keep up the great work, this makes me want to go take the cover off my car and turn some wrenches.

CGoeschel

Established Member
I can understand that, but you have to look at it this way.

This was the plan when I bought the car from the start. The work I have done so far has been plan all along leading up to this. So I didn't just decide one day that I was going to start cutting up the car. Its just that I have finally decided to start a build thread on here, LOL. If I was to do another car it would be like building the pace car to the point it is now and stopping half way before the build was done and then finding another car. Like I said, keep in mind that everything done to the car so far was in my plan to get to this point I just never covered the build until now.

With that being said, I know some people will worry because it's a "rare" Pace Car to start with but the way I look at it they built over 10,000 of these cars, and any day of the week I can find a nice for sale (I know because I have shopped for them alot). And like I tell everyone, I'm a hot rodder not a collector, LOL.

Understood now. Im not sure why but I've always been drawn to the 79 pace car and I really liked the way you had done it up to this point. Looking forward to seeing it when its done.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
that interior looks amazing. and that engine is gonna look sick in it. Very nice bro, can't wait to see the end product.

Punisher302

Established Member
Whats up man? How you been? Guess i don't get around much, I didn't know you had a new car. looks great in your signature.

Been great, man, can't complain at all. Got the Mach last Halloween, didn't place an intro thread in the Stangnet 94-95 section out of shame, haha. Really regret selling the 94 :kaboom:

Going to show your build to my brother-in-law. He's got a 79 notch that he hasn't worked on in almost 3 years, I'm trying to motivate him and this should do the trick. As usual, the ideas & execution are top-notch! Keep us posted.

-Paul

Users who are viewing this thread