Pro Touring 1979 Pace Car build

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Rabbit is definitely cool. I think a fun car to do a restomod would be a mid 80s GTi with the four light front and put a new 1.8t or 2.0t drivetrain in it.

69clark

Established Member
Rabbit is definitely cool. I think a fun car to do a restomod would be a mid 80s GTi with the four light front and put a new 1.8t or 2.0t drivetrain in it.

If this wasn't my wifes car, would think the same thing (minus the square light front). But this is here car and she wanted a loud, slow, smokey diesel. LOL

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm so glad I found this thread. So far you haven't done one thing I didn't like.. It's all so perfect.

95riosnake

Established Member
I have to say I was really impressed with the Rabbit when I saw it in person in Laconia, it just has a cool factor in how simple/small/clean it is. Not to mention Tom drove it like 3.5 hours or something on $20 worth of fuel... lol

69clark

Established Member
I have to say I was really impressed with the Rabbit when I saw it in person in Laconia, it just has a cool factor in how simple/small/clean it is. Not to mention Tom drove it like 3.5 hours or something on $20 worth of fuel... lol

Thanks Dan. Yeah I figured it up after the event and total I probably put in 10 hours of driving and spent $40-45 in fuel. LOL

HOLLYWD69

Established Member
So when are you going to sell me the pace car?! LOL That thing is my dream car! I wish I had the time and patience to do a build like that! Simply beautiful!

69clark

Established Member
Well, I gonna try to get in the groove of updating pics this thread and pics as I have sort of slipped off.

So basically I got disgusted with the factory wiring in the car and ripped everything out. I planned to go all new. So i went ahead and purchase one of the Ron Francis kits as they have the correct factory plugs for under the dash and column. This isn't a factory replacement, its more of a custom option, but at this point this is what the car needs.

10169334_864141683643779_8665147716585590282_n_zpsbe029e6c.jpg

I'm not great a wiring, but I'm not stupid to it either. So I plan to take my time and and do everything how I want it, nice neat and hidden.

At the time I bought the kit, I noticed that Ron Francis released their Black Box at the 2014 SEMA show. After some research, I realized this will help me tremendously when I rewire the car. So while at the PRI Show last week I visited the Ron Francis booth and asked some question. Pretty much bought it on the spot. They aren't ready to ship yet, but soon. This is going to help make wiring the car much easier.

Here is a link with the info on the Black Box: http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BX-10

rfw-101-e1415238987726_zpsdd4d20f7.jpg

Then I have to do the custom engine harness to work nicely with the Megasqirt kit and the wiring is done. Sounds easy right? This sucks!!! LOL

644311_530152323709385_1054929461_n_zps579905c2.jpg

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I love the mega squirt set up.
Installed.I. a stock 5.0 91 coupe and gained 35 hp without touching the engine

69clark

Established Member
I love the mega squirt set up.
Installed.I. a stock 5.0 91 coupe and gained 35 hp without touching the engine

Yeah, i'm excited to get using it. I have always done all my own tuning with great success, and I enjoy doing it and not needing to rely on others. Should be fun.

69clark

Established Member
Hey gang. Long time, no update. Some work has been going on with the Pace Car but not alot of "sexy". Anyways I am back at it, decided I should be more active in updating.

Much of the stuff I am doing on the car is stuff I either want to change to make better, or I am getting around to fixing some things that I never like.

One of those items is the rear shock bracket. I wanted to design a bracket that used more of the "meat" of the bracket on the rear end. I worked with the guys at Stifflers (yes, the mustang & F150 chassis and suspension guys) to come up with something custom as I couldn't find anything off the shelf that did what I wanted.

So there are two sets here as we did a set for a buddy of mine building a similar SN95 car. This are the new drop brackets that we made and will be using.

20160108_122746_zpsoezajb0q.jpg

20151214_102627_zpsvgrznmat.jpg

Test fit on the car.
20151215_204538_zpstrzssmpx.jpg

I recently got setup to do my own powder coating so I asked not to have these powder coated so that I can do it. So that project starts soon.

Here are some videos from Stifflers of them cutting out the parts on the plasma table.
[video=youtube;ltGvD-gaHLk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltGvD-gaHLk[/video]

Brackets in the tumbler/deburring machine before bending.
[video=youtube;W5S9y4Qg8ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5S9y4Qg8ls[/video]

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I recently got setup to do my own powder coating so I asked not to have these powder coated so that I can do it. So that project starts soon.

I wish I could have went this route. I received a driveshaft loop from them that was beat to hell and all the powder coating chipped off. Luckily they were able to send me a replacement however the replacement was just as bad. Pieces looked like they were constructed well but I couldn't put a chipped up piece on my car.

Users who are viewing this thread