PRK eye surgery is AWESOME!

medicdroid

Established Member
Anyone who is on the fence about doing this should get it done!I had awful vision, was completely dependant on glasses to function....and just a few weeks after the procedure I'm already better than 20/20 in both eyes.The actual surgery was gnarly, but very fast. If anyone has questions, I'm pretty much an expert now.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Gnarly in what sort of way? Did it hurt? I can't see shit without glasses or contacts. Can only see about 6 inches in front of my face clearly.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Lasik on one eye and prk on the other eye due to a corneal scar. I see better than i did before but far from clear.
This was back in 06. I think i need a touch up on my
Lasik eye as it has slowly been deteriorating.

medicdroid

Established Member
Gnarly in what sort of way? Did it hurt? I can't see shit without glasses or contacts. Can only see about 6 inches in front of my face clearly.
Your eyelids are spread and clamped open, and your eyeball is locked in place.They put lots of numbing drops on, so you dont feel pain when they scrape material out of the way......but I was kind of freaking out.When the laser comes on, you simply look at a green light for 10-20 seconds, then they put the band aid contacts on and you're done.I will say that smelling my eye cooking was something I'll never forget.

01svtL

Established Member
I think most of them, if not all, will give you xanax or something similar to calm you down during.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
How much did it cost? I've been wearing contact lenses since I was 19, now 32, and my last eye exam last month I was told I have corneal neovascularization that has not reached into my cornea far enough to effect my vision, and I should reduce contact lens wear. I stopped wearing them altogether. My eye doctor said I should look into LASIK or PRK once this clears up.

medicdroid

Established Member
Sounds like normal lasik?
In lasik, the cut a flap open, then close the flap. Since I am around explosions a lot I can't have the structural weakness that post lasik healing gives.
in PRK, they remove the entire surface with a tiny brush/tools, and all of the epithelial tissue heals at the same time, making a strong surface with no structural irregularities.
How much did it cost? I've been wearing contact lenses since I was 19, now 32, and my last eye exam last month I was told I have corneal neovascularization that has not reached into my cornea far enough to effect my vision, and I should reduce contact lens wear. I stopped wearing them altogether. My eye doctor said I should look into LASIK or PRK once this clears up.

I'm in the Army, so I didn't pay anything. I encourage you to go in for a consult....not everyone is a candidate.

Planeswalker

Established Member
I had PRK done for free while I was in the Army, but after 4 years I had to start wearing glasses again. Was great while it lasted and I still have WAY better vision than before it was done.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Your eyelids are spread and clamped open, and your eyeball is locked in place.They put lots of numbing drops on, so you dont feel pain when they scrape material out of the way......but I was kind of freaking out.When the laser comes on, you simply look at a green light for 10-20 seconds, then they put the band aid contacts on and you're done.I will say that smelling my eye cooking was something I'll never forget.

Hmmm. Doesn't sound fun but sounds bearable. I'll have to look into it. I don't really mind contacts, but I certainly wouldn't miss them.

SBVERT03

Established Member
My gf had it done about a year ago. She is really glad she had it and has had no complaints!

95YellowGTBeast

LS7killr
Established Member
I had LASIK done last year at the local TLC eye center in Greenville. After have glasses/contacts for all my life and then being able to see clear merely seconds after surgery was an awesome feeling. I payed 3,794 out of pocket for the surgery my insurance didn't cover anything

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So PRK surgery isn't permanent? I sounds like it has to be re-done after so many years. Yes? No?

MedicDroid, glad that the surgery was a big success for you.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I really need to schedule a consult to look into my options. It sucks waking up and not even making out the clock. Vision continued to worsen until college. -6.5 in each eye in contacts.

Users who are viewing this thread