prior vette owners

kosovobandit

Established Member
I have had a C5 with a cam, headers back exhaust, vararam, 6spd. I really enjoyed it everytime I drove in up to the point I had to fall in it and fall out of it. Plus once I put the cam in the hydraulis for the clutch needed to be replaced. It is just like a mustang. The more you mod the more you have to beef up. But it is twice the money to mod. I see my old vette everyday leaving work and dont miss it my 2012 GT is a blast to drive. I would never own a vette as a DD. Maybe as a toy but that is questionable though

bunk22

Established Member
I had an 05 LS2 C6 Z51 mn6 and I absolutely regret selling it. However, I had to at the time due to financial issues that I won't get into. I actually wanted it back but the new owner still loves it too much :-D. When I sold it, it had a VR, FAST, custom comp cam, long-tubes, cat-back and tune. Made 450rwhp/407rwtq SAE. Pre-cam, I ran a best of 7.8@92-93 on a horrible 1.8X 60-ft. I ended up with a new 2012 Mustang GT as I got it for $25K after the $4k rebate. Which do I like better? The C6 hands down. It's overall a better car though I agree with the above, a bit cheap interior but it fit me perfect. With the long-tubes and cam, it had a great sound, handled great. The only reason I didn't go for another C6 was I wanted one with similar mods and low miles, didn't find what I was looking for and I'm interested in a new C7 or last year model C6Z so I decided on the Mustang for now as I've had a 1995 Mustang GTS with h/c/i supercharger and an 03 Cobra. The 5.0 is a damn decent car, it has a fantastic motor, handles good for what it is. I think a huge step up over my previous stangs for sure.

kevinp

Established Member
I have had several C5s and C6s.

Anything can be made fast, Corvettes start out lighter and the LS engines are super easy to mod heads/cams/headers etc and respond to supercharging very well.

As far as cost these new 5.0s arent cheap to mod as far as parts go, the corvette tax is no longer a factor there.

Either way a mustang is a mustang and a vette is a vette, two completely different cars. Vettes are quite a bit more expensive new (except for a GT500) so its not really a good comparison.

For me if there was a 2012 GT500 and a 2012 2LT+ grand sport (or any newer C6 Z06) sitting there and I could have either one for free I'd take the vette. Regular C6 I'd have to think about it..

SicShelby09

Banned
I have had several C5s and C6s.

Anything can be made fast, Corvettes start out lighter and the LS engines are super easy to mod heads/cams/headers etc and respond to supercharging very well.

As far as cost these new 5.0s arent cheap to mod as far as parts go, the corvette tax is no longer a factor there.

Either way a mustang is a mustang and a vette is a vette, two completely different cars. Vettes are quite a bit more expensive new (except for a GT500) so its not really a good comparison.

For me if there was a 2012 GT500 and a 2012 2LT+ grand sport (or any newer C6 Z06) sitting there and I could have either one for free I'd take the vette. Regular C6 I'd have to think about it..

Yeah and no. My B&B bullet axleback for the C6 was $999. I think there may be one or two axlebacks for the GT that are close, but most other parts are cheaper. CAIs for the vettes are in the $499 range.

1swtlx

Established Member
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this thought. I went back and forth on a used C6Z or new 12' 5.0 Premium. If it weren't for the valve guides failing in the LS7 I would probably be in a Z06. Now I scratch my head and wonder if I should have just had the heads reworked on a used Z because this stock 4x4 mustang suspension is getting old fast. Either the 12' gets a good set of coilovers and a decent set of wider wheels or I may end up in the vette after all. Interior hands down goes to the Ford though, man do i love the new seats in the new stangs!

kevinp

Established Member
Yeah and no. My B&B bullet axleback for the C6 was $999. I think there may be one or two axlebacks for the GT that are close, but most other parts are cheaper. CAIs for the vettes are in the $499 range.

You can buy cheaper axle backs for vettes and you can buy more expensive ones for Mustangs. There are cheaper CAIs than vararams and Halltechs as well. Plus the LS3 cars are like the new Mustangs and dont gain much power from either so that 1000.00 could be spend elsewhere.

Headers, superchargers, clutches, torque converters are all pretty much the same. You can slide a single cam and bolt a set of heads on a vette pretty easy as well. Plus there is a ton more tuning options for the vettes if you DIY your tunes.

Its not like a 5.0 Fox body where things cost 1/2 of the LS cars did. One thing with the mustang is the rear end, its a plain old 8.8 so gears, axles etc will be cheaper which is great if you are drag racing the car.

Like I said they are two different cars, either you want a low to the ground super well engineered (and good looking IMO) two seat sports car or a less expensive, more practical four seat coupe that starts out pretty quick stock.

I like the new Mustangs, Ford really hit the demographic well with them, if we were talking about comparing '10 and down GTs verses a C6 vette it wouldnt even be a discussion.

kosovobandit

Established Member
Most of the tuners for the vettes only use hp tuners, they are just like sct for the mustang. As far as tuners for novices there are just as many plug and play units for mustangs as for vettes. The only real cheap mod for the vette is the loweing kit. Go price a set of mustang lowering springs vs vette leaf springs. Exhaust forball cars has gone up due to the desire for stainless exhaust and the cost of materials. I agree two different cars. You can throw a cam on a vette and get a big jump, but that just like the mustang overpowers the stock clutch and hydraulics. But it costs more to have a clutch and hydraulics put in on a vette due to the rear mounted tranny. No arguement you are starting with a better platform but at a much higher cost to keep and maintain.

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
looks like i have a lot to think about. my wife told me before i purchased the 5.0 to make sure that's what i really wanted b/c she didn't want me trying to get rid of it 6 months after i got it. well it's going on 7 months now and i'm starting to get that itch. i truly do love my 5.0 and it has a lot of potential but i'm afraid if i don't get a vette while i'm young and able to enjoy it i'm going to end up like those old guys i use to see when i was in FL putting along Highway 98 in a brand new vette going 10 under the speed limit and not paying attention to others on the road b/c i'm so old i'm nearly blind.

kevinp

Established Member
Most of the tuners for the vettes only use hp tuners, they are just like sct for the mustang. As far as tuners for novices there are just as many plug and play units for mustangs as for vettes. The only real cheap mod for the vette is the loweing kit. Go price a set of mustang lowering springs vs vette leaf springs. Exhaust forball cars has gone up due to the desire for stainless exhaust and the cost of materials. I agree two different cars. You can throw a cam on a vette and get a big jump, but that just like the mustang overpowers the stock clutch and hydraulics. But it costs more to have a clutch and hydraulics put in on a vette due to the rear mounted tranny. No arguement you are starting with a better platform but at a much higher cost to keep and maintain.

No, EFIlive and HPtuners are so far ahead of SCT its not even funny, I have the SCT advantage(and EFIlive and HPtuners for GM stuff) for my old '11 GT and its crap compared to those. Maybe at the dealer level its better but the SCT logging sucks and the interface isnt all that great. Handhelds are handhelds but I'm talking about real tuning software.

I can have a trans out of a C5/C6 pretty quick, once you do a few a clutch or converter swaps is no big deal.

Of course if you are paying someone to mod the car the vette will probably cost more because of the vette tax. even though the '11-up 5.0 auto isnt cheap to fix and you are dealing with more labor swapping heads on a new 5.0. and you are buying 4 cams instead of one. There is nothing magical about taking either apart, just have to put them back together the right way.

As far as lowering kits lowering a new vette past the bolts is an exercise in silliness if you drive the car every day. You can point all out a dozen specifics, I have owned, tuned and raced most of them, IMO the C6 is a better car - it should be because it costs nearly twice as much as a base GT new. But that doesnt really matter if you dont have 50 grand or need a back seat :)

You can go back and forth on this forever, but they are just two different cars :beer:

kevinp

Established Member
looks like i have a lot to think about. my wife told me before i purchased the 5.0 to make sure that's what i really wanted b/c she didn't want me trying to get rid of it 6 months after i got it. well it's going on 7 months now and i'm starting to get that itch. i truly do love my 5.0 and it has a lot of potential but i'm afraid if i don't get a vette while i'm young and able to enjoy it i'm going to end up like those old guys i use to see when i was in FL putting along Highway 98 in a brand new vette going 10 under the speed limit and not paying attention to others on the road b/c i'm so old i'm nearly blind.

I see just as many old farts like myself driving Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers as Vettes. The great thing about the C6s is they are very affordable used and you see more and more younger people buying them and skipping the higher end imports. They are really nice all around cars if you dont need a back seat or its just a weekend car.

I'm not really brand loyal, hell I'm driving a newer Challenger R/T this month lol, but I do like to try every car out there and see what they are like myself. I was going to get into a new GS vette when I sold the '11 but I'm vette'd out - I'll wait for the C7s.

ramstein

Established Member
My friend owns a stock 2008 C6, my 5.0 only has axle back and we are about even. He does pull about a fender about 130mph, but we don't usually race to 130 lol.

Curious how you would explain that statement. Ls3 makes 35-40lbft more torque and about 15 more hp.(with factory NPP exhaust even more) It weighs 350-400 less, and more aerodynamic.
Anything can happen on a street, but with only an axle-back 5.0 is not going to be even with a stock LS3 C6.
It is amazing how 5.0 owners exaggerate their car potential, they claim to beat LS3 with just an axle-back and intake, and with a tune they hang with pullied Terminators, and sometimes even hang with Gt500. You guys must believe that this 5.0 engine was built by god. lol
Bottom line if you race LS3 or 02+C5Z06 stock for stock and beat it, than there is something wrong with that Vette or the driver. Stock for Stock and Mod for Mod 5.0 is slower.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The simple fact is that you can't really compare the mustang to the corvette. Both cars serve different purposes. If you need 4 seats and want better straight line performance, go with the mustang.

If you don't need a back seat and want a bit more handling, go with the vette.

All I know is I have an offer from GM that expires on the 30th that gives me a significant price discount on a corvette and I'm seriously debating going back.

the Mustang is a great car and hands down the more practical of the tow, but there are so many things the Corvette does well. It's a car that doesn't have to compromise and as such it makes few.

After owning both a c6 and a c6 z06, there definitely a hole left by the mustang.

BUT!, to say that I have more fun in a Corvette than in my mustangs would be a lie. I've had fun with all my cars and truth be told, my favorite our of all of them was my 99 Cobra.

So, my advise, is to drive both and choose the one that fits you best.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
I had a 2007 Coupe with Z51, M6, cai, longtubes, tune, etc. I got to the point where I lost interest in it. Small and low, but surprisingly comfortable on road trips. I miss the targa roof a lot but if I ever get back into a C6, I`d have to go with a GrandSport or Z06 because the base fenders and wheels look lame to me now.

My car is every bit as fast as my C6 was and I actually enjoy driving it more, but as others have sad, the Corvette is a more complete package.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Just stick with 5.0 they beat everything in sight, whipple cobras, c5z's, ls3 vettes, vipers and with only exhaust.... Why bother?

Lol...

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
damn straight they beat c5z's:coolman:

Please tell me more!

images

ramstein

Established Member
[QUOTE=coyotestang;117amn straight they beat c5z's:coolman:[/QUOTE]
22232]d

I know you like your 5.0, and it is fine, but stop deceiving yourself. Otherwise one day when you get beat by LS3 C6 or c5Z06 you will be very disappointing.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread