pre ordered the new MGW shifter

bossnova3

Established Member
Magnum XL is the shizzy. Night and day from the 6060. Direct mount shifter with no linkages. I have one in my Shelby and have no complaints. I did not have to massage the tunnel at all. The only small issue was the shift boot was a little tight when in first gear. Missed shifts are very rare with the Magnum XL. I bought mine from D&D transmissions in Texas. JPC sells them too.
+1.....
Here's mine it's one of the best investments on these cars.
e6690521ae190b8840420fdb1835782e.jpg
"]
e6690521ae190b8840420fdb1835782e.jpg
[/URL]

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
A guy on FB got one installed in his Shelby today by George at MGW and said it fixed 1st to 2nd grind and could powershift 1st to 2nd with no problems. Hope its true!!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I've actually considered going auto the stock shifter annoyed me so bad. I think I would miss banging threw the gears to much though. Birdoc or bossnova do you mind sharing the price on the magnum xl trans?

BIRDDOC

Established Member
Tell us more about the Magnum XL. I read in a thread a good while back that the shifter doesn't sit in the while properly and the tunnel requires some "massaging."

I've actually considered going auto the stock shifter annoyed me so bad. I think I would miss banging threw the gears to much though. Birdoc or bossnova do you mind sharing the price on the magnum xl trans?

The complete kit (Trans, driveshaft, SFI Bell housing, shifter, ect) is about $3900.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
A guy on FB got one installed in his Shelby today by George at MGW and said it fixed 1st to 2nd grind and could powershift 1st to 2nd with no problems. Hope its true!!

I'm in for more information. If it truly is the "fix", money isn't the problem. It's wasted money that is.

BIRDDOC

Established Member
That's not that bad. As there is a used market for the 6060.

I sold my 6060 in 2 days and others I know sold them quickly as well. The 5.0/Boss crowd seems to be the most interested in them. The Magnum XL is the fix for the 6060. Actually there was an article I read about a year ago from an interview of a Tremec engineer. He said if Ford wanted to fix the problems plaguing the 6060 on shifting they should put transmissions with direct mounted shifters in them like the Magnum XL. The new Viper has a Magnum XL in it with the 6 speed option.

Last edited:

lkempf

Established Member
That is a nice looking shifter. Looks very stout. It also looks like it has solid shifter bushings, which was the biggest problem with all of the previous aftermarket shifters. No doubt about it MGW makes the best shifters on the market.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I sold my 6060 in 2 days and others I know sold them quickly as well. The 5.0/Boss crowd seems to be the most interested in them. The Magnum XL is the fix for the 6060. Actually there was an article I read about a year ago from an interview of a Tremec engineer. He said if Ford wanted to fix the problems plaguing the 6060 on shifting they should put transmissions with direct mounted shifters in them like the Magnum XL. The new Viper has a Magnum XL in it with the 6 speed option.

I haven't really followed the used prices on the 6060, what do they go for? Trying to do my math on this swap, if the cost isn't huge I may go this route.

et9secstang

Established Member
I've been kicking around about getting rid of the 6060, I just hate the remote shifter, I would like to keep it a 6 speed but everyone tells me to go th400???, I may just give a XL a shot.what is a good used 6060, going for?

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
That is a nice looking shifter. Looks very stout. It also looks like it has solid shifter bushings, which was the biggest problem with all of the previous aftermarket shifters. No doubt about it MGW makes the best shifters on the market.
Yeah I noticed this too that the bushings look to be solid/aluminum bushings...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
It also looks like it has solid shifter bushings, which was the biggest problem with all of the previous aftermarket shifters.

I think the greatest improvement lies with George's vision to take advantage of earlier captured rail designs and to integrate it with the semi-remote forks or shifter arms. Solid fork bushings are much easier to install when the fork arms can be installed individually prior to adding the fulcrum lever and base. He's blended a stainless end cap in each fork end with a rubber core which should keep NVH excitation under control while also minimizing deflection.

What would really be nice would be a kit to allow installing the Magnum XL shaft/tailhousing onto your existing TR6060. I'm sure Nate at Tremec could rationalize why that hasn't happened and I suspect they figure that the cost would be prohibitive when for "X" amount of dollars more, you could have a new XL at your doorstep. I'd counter with an economies of scale advantage that could benefit both the XL and a kit that could make it viable. Pull up the CAD drawings, come up with a list of parts necessary, price competitively, and start selling kits! It takes 13+ Mexican Pesos to equal 1 US dollar. Put more Mexicans to work making TR6060 parts for our Mexican made transmissions!

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Is the length of the 6060 and the XL different thereby the need for the "kit" with a new driveshaft? I'm contemplating the change, but have a CF driveshaft that I really like.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Is the length of the 6060 and the XL different thereby the need for the "kit" with a new driveshaft? I'm contemplating the change, but have a CF driveshaft that I really like.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I, too, have a CF driveshaft. I guess that knocks me out of the running for the XL. I'm not buying another driveshaft or going through the hassle of trying to sell the one I have; driveshaft nor transmission.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I am telling you guys ...if you have plans to upgrade to the XL....PLEASE hold OFF!!!!

When you feel this thing you will swear it is a top loader, xl, etc trans shifter. I almost contemplated covering the arms in a billet box lol so people would not focus on the arms.

?This thing IS that solid and I am even tweaking the final production design running now for even better support.

I just cannot imagine spending 3500-4500 for an XL upgrade after running this in our 302S .

wait til you guys see the finished product in a few weeks!!!:pop:

George

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
I am telling you guys ...if you have plans to upgrade to the XL....PLEASE hold OFF!!!!

When you feel this thing you will swear it is a top loader, xl, etc trans shifter. I almost contemplated covering the arms in a billet box lol so people would not focus on the arms.

?This thing IS that solid and I am even tweaking the final production design running now for even better support.

I just cannot imagine spending 3500-4500 for an XL upgrade after running this in our 302S .

wait til you guys see the finished product in a few weeks!!!:pop:

George
:banana::pepper:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Man I hate to put the shifter boot over that shifter. I love andozied aluminum. Can't justify it since mine is flawless and scared one change will need to another. MGW makes some awesome shifters. No homo but I like their balls too.

Users who are viewing this thread