Pre-dyno jitters here!

specizripn

Established Member
Same thing happened to me, I ran out of pumps and maf just after 5000rpms. I put a new fuel filter in the car so I'm not sure how my fuel system is now, but I'm content with my power for now, until I can afford a Kenne Bell and return style fuel system ;) The average Termi maf and fuel system will handle around 500rwhp, but these cars are old, and every car is different so it isn't uncommon to have this problem.

SVT Monster

Established Member
Same thing happened to me, I ran out of pumps and maf just after 5000rpms. I put a new fuel filter in the car so I'm not sure how my fuel system is now, but I'm content with my power for now, until I can afford a Kenne Bell and return style fuel system ;) The average Termi maf and fuel system will handle around 500rwhp, but these cars are old, and every car is different so it isn't uncommon to have this problem.
Yeah my tuner kinda threw me for a loop when he said remove the JLT! :uh oh: I'm doing as he asksa and reinstalling the factory air tube with just an open air element under hood. Then new SCT maf and a KB boost a pump. Tuners says 460+who all day. We will soon see.:coolman:

matt87

Established Member
dont get your hopes up for 500 rwhp without a port. there are some on here to claim to have done it, but i believe they live in "happy dyno land" and not reality. i made 434 rwhp with a 2.76 upper only and bumped it up to 506 rwhp with a port, 2.76 upper and 2# lower and that was at 17 psi.

SVT Monster

Established Member
dont get your hopes up for 500 rwhp without a port. there are some on here to claim to have done it, but i believe they live in "happy dyno land" and not reality. i made 434 rwhp with a 2.76 upper only and bumped it up to 506 rwhp with a port, 2.76 upper and 2# lower and that was at 17 psi.

HAPPY DYNO LAND...That's where I want to be some day!:lol:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yeah my tuner kinda threw me for a loop when he said remove the JLT! :uh oh: I'm doing as he asksa and reinstalling the factory air tube with just an open air element under hood. Then new SCT maf and a KB boost a pump. Tuners says 460+who all day. We will soon see.:coolman:

The factory inlet tube and an open filter will work very well and support 700+ wheel power no problem. Factory maf with a mafia works great, too. That's what I have, 714 wheel on 22psi, tons of low end tq.

SVT Monster

Established Member
The factory inlet tube and an open filter will work very well and support 700+ wheel power no problem. Factory maf with a mafia works great, too. That's what I have, 714 wheel on 22psi, tons of low end tq.

Awesome to hear this from someone else! My tuner quoted me almost the same stats. Said stock tube was good for 700whp!:beer:

mcc91

Established Member
Im doing the 2.8 upper in two weeks when i can get to the dyno. Ive got the h/e intake and plugs w/ 2.8 upper and idlers. So would you suggest getting the kb BAP and MAF prior to the dyno or is that to big a setup for just the upper?

YuGneLrn2Day

Established Member
Im doing the 2.8 upper in two weeks when i can get to the dyno. Ive got the h/e intake and plugs w/ 2.8 upper and idlers. So would you suggest getting the kb BAP and MAF prior to the dyno or is that to big a setup for just the upper?

Stock blower with a 2.8 pulley should be fine w/o a KB bap or maf. But then again every car is different

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Kinda surprised she didn't put a little more down, I was on the same setup and put down 450/470 with pumps maxed at 5300 RPM and mass almost pegged with 15 pounds of boost. Put on a sct 3000 mass and 60 pound injectors to see if that would help at least get me to redline, and it didn't make a difference, going back with a BAP " should have did it in the first place" this year!

You should have went with the BAP in place of the 60's. The BAP will push the stock injectors to flow more. But hey, I guess now you'll have both and should definitely be good to go.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
SCT Big air maf and KB Boost a pump on the way!!!!:banana::dancenana::banana:

I know some people have made it to 500 with the stock MAF, but most don't and the MAF is the next thing to need replaced. One mistake I hope you didn't make was going with the 3000 with a stock pullied blower. You would actually be better off with the 2600. It's more "size appropriate" for a stock blower car. Also, don't forget, boost is just a measure of pressure, not power. If a car is making unheard of boost for the setup, it's actually a red flag that something bad might be going on. I'm not saying that is the case with your car, but I've never heard\read of over 15lbs with an upper only unported eaton. Is it a 2.76 or a 2.7? I know it's not much difference - but 2.76 is more common. I'm not sure who even makes a 2.70 pulley? Any chance you could be running a ported blower and not even know it?

Last edited:

SVT Monster

Established Member
I know some people have made it to 500 with the stock MAF, but most don't and the MAF is the next thing to need replaced. One mistake I hope you didn't make was going with the 3000 with a stock pullied blower. You would actually be better off with the 2600. It's more "size appropriate" for a stock blower car. Also, don't forget, boost is just a measure of pressure, not power. If a car is making unheard of boost for the setup, it's actually a red flag that something bad might be going on. I'm not saying that is the case with your car, but I've never heard\read of over 15lbs with an upper only unported eaton. Is it a 2.76 or a 2.7? I know it's not much difference - but 2.76 is more common. I'm not sure who even makes a 2.70 pulley? Any chance you could be running a ported blower and not even know it?
According to LFP it is a 2.70" and is supposed to make 15 lbs. I was thinking red flag myself and I called the tech support there last Friday. I also plan on going 2.3 Whipple with a return style fuel system so will 3000 not be OK for a little while? Should only be very low end drivability issues correct?

Last edited:

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
You should have went with the BAP in place of the 60's. The BAP will push the stock injectors to flow more. But hey, I guess now you'll have both and should definitely be good to go.

Yep I know that now O well, One piece at a time, I will just be ahead on the next round of mods, I hope!

cobra9903

Born11/22/02 No.3935/8394
Established Member
I wouldn't be to scared just going with a SCT 3000! Just talk to your tuner and see what he likes working with. I believe talking with your tuner before hand is much better and cheaper in the long run instead of just throwing parts at it. If your tuner can work with it now and for the future plans, well you only had to buy one instead of another one down the road. I had the same set up and the tuner had no problems what so ever tuning the car, and I showed 15 pounds on a 2.76 on my boost gauge and on the dyno computer! Just ran out of pumps at 5300 RPM.

Last edited:

SVT Monster

Established Member
I wouldn't be to scared just going with a SCT 3000! Just talk to your tuner and see what he likes working with. I believe talking with your tuner before hand is much better and cheaper in the long run instead of just throwing parts at it. If your tuner can work with it now and for the future plans, well you only had to buy one instead of another one down the road. I had the same set up and the tuner had no problems what so ever tuning the car, and I showed 15 pounds on a 2.76 on my boost gauge and on the dyno computer! Just ran out of pumps at 5300 RPM.
That's good to hear. My guy says there will only be small issues that I probably wouldn't notice unless he pointed them out.

Users who are viewing this thread