pqiamerica March 2013 Royal Purple same as Napa synthetic?(duh NO!)

FordJunkie

Established Member
March 2013 - Test Results for AP

I'm currently running the API version of Royal Purple 5w30.After seeing the results in the latest pqiamerica.com in march,I see alot of similarites in Napa synthetic and Royal Purple.

I'm hoping someone can explain to me why since they are formulated so similiar,why is RP so much more expensive?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Now that is wild. I've seen that PQI comparison many times and never made that connection. Some additives added to a formulation will not show up on a UOA.

However, Royal Purple's base line formulation doesn't contain the proprietary synerlec additive they have used with success in the past. For the price it sells for, compared to UOA performance I have seen, it's just not worth it.

Pennzoil Ultra is a far greater/better option off the shelf.

*disclaimer, we are talking about Royal Purple non-HPS and non-XPR.*

FordJunkie

Established Member
Yeah I've found a pretty good deal on Royal Purple 5w30 HPS for my next oil change. :thumbsup:

The Walmart in my area has PU on clearance for 5$ a quart,good deal!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
UOA is just an elemental analysis, and it is of very little use comparing different oils from different companies.

It was designed to indicate trends in an engine or device over time with multiple sample taken.

Expecting anything meaningful from an oil analysis of different companies oils is a bit naive. Oils are made up of compounds that are made up of elements.

But all you see from a UOA is elements.

There is only one other oil company in the world that uses the same rather expensive anti wear additive that we use in our API-SN formulations, and that company does not sell any oils in the USA.

You realistically can not tell jack about new unused oils from a used oil analysis.

Sorry, I know that is not going to be very popular here but it is the truth.

Test all those oils over time in actual engines and then see how they hold up, that test will at least have some value. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread