Post up your favorite recipes... The SVTP recipe exchange..

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I enjoy cooking, both outdoors, and in the kitchen, and thought it would be great to see who else likes to cook, and share favorite recipes. So, lets see them :)

I will start off with one of my Italian favorites:

LASAGNA (SERVES 10)

This is the best. If you don't mind a little work, and want a great traditional lasagna, you must try it. One of the advantages of lasagna is that it can be made for a casual dinner, a small party or a large crowd. Be certain to read the Notes and Variations below.

INGREDIENTS

2 pounds uncooked lasagna noodles

Meat Sauce

2 slices homemade-style bread
1/4 cup milk
2 pounds ground beef (I prefer ground chuck)
2 eggs
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds Italian link sausage
Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
8 large cloves garlic, minced
1 large (2 pounds) cans whole tomatoes (preferably no-salt) crushed with juices
1 large (2 pounds) can tomato sauce (preferably no-salt)
1 large (15-ounce) can tomato puree
1-1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
1-1/2 tablespoons dried basil
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) dried parsley

Ricotta Cheese Mixture

2-1/2 pounds ricotta cheese
1 10-ounce bag frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
2 extra-large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

Additional Ingredients for Assembly

1-1/2 pounds grated Mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound freshly grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese

For the Lasagna Noodles: Cook accordng to package directions for al dente. Drain well and drape, as separately as possible, over the pot and colander until ready to use.

For the Sauce: Soak the bread slices in the milk. Squeeze out the excess juice and crumble into coarse pieces, reserving the excess milk. Mix the ground beef with the bread, milk, and next 7 ingredients. Combine very well with hands. Form into 1-1/2 inch balls. Heat a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom. When hot, add meatballs and fry until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and place on plate. Cut sausage into approximately 2-inch lengths. Add to hot pan. Fry until browned on all sides. Remove to plate.

In a large sauté pan, stock pot or Dutch oven, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Then add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato puree and remaining sauce seasonings. Simmer over low heat approximately 5 minutes. Remove enough of the sauce and place in the meat fry pan to deglaze; return to the sauce pot. Place the meatballs and sausage in the sauce and continue to cook, partially covered over low or medium-low heat for about 60 minutes. Remove meat from sauce and save for reheating later. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings. Allow to cool before assembly.

To make Ricotta Cheese mixture: If possible, place the ricotta cheese in a large strainer or sifter and allow the moisture to drain for approximately 45 minutes. I do this because I find most brands contain more moisture than years ago. Discard the liquids and place cheese in large bowl; add eggs, spinach, seasonings and stir until well-combined.

To assemble: Layer ingredients in a large lasagna pan (you might need two pans depending on size) in the following order: sauce, noodles, ricotta mixture, mozzarella and Parmesan/Romano. The last layers should be noodles and sauce.

Baking and Serving: Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover lasagna tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Meanwhile, reheat the meat in the leftover sauce. To serve, cut the lasagna into serving-size squares. Place the meat in a serving bowl and the extra sauce in a gravy boat or bowl. Pass extra grated cheese.

Notes: I suggest using freshly grated, good-quality, Parmesan Reggiano cheese. Admittedly, in meatballs or meatloaf and similar recipes, I sometimes use a good-quality processed variety. However, always...always serve freshly grated for garnish and try the fresh where suggested. This entire recipe can easily be doubled (using extra pans) or halved. Unused portions can be frozen. Additionally, the uncooked, assembled lasagna can be frozen and baked for another occasion.

Variation: For vegetarians, simply omit the meats. It is every bit as good.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Grilled Venison (Serves 8) This recipe calls for a minimum of 48 hours for prep time.

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 lbs venison steak

1) Soak venison steaks at least 48 hours.
2) Combine all ingredients.
3) Cook on the grill. Be sure to turn the steaks often to avoid scorching.

Grilled Venison Bites (Serves 6 - 8) 35 min 20 min prep

1 lb venison
1 lb bacon
16 ounces Italian dressing
1-2 tablespoon Tony Chachere's Seasoning

1) Cut venison into bite size bits.

2) Cut bacon into 3-4 inch pieces. You may even want to cut the bacon strips in half, length-wise first, depending on the width of the bacon.
Wrap each chunk of meat with a piece of bacon, using a tooth pick to hold in place.

3) Place wrapped venison in a plastic bag and cover with dressing. Marinate over night.

4) Place marinated deer balls on plate and sprinkle with seasoning.

5) Grill until bacon is crisp, turning often. I found the easiest way is to use a fish basket, that way you can turn them all over at once. Another way is to use a skewer. No mater what method you use, watch for flare ups, since the oil in the Italian dressing will cause quite a blaze if you don't keep an eye on it.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
Fire House Spaghetti

Version 1

1 lb ground beef, lean
1 or 2 (personal taste preference) clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 small packages of velveeta cheese
2 cans Rotel diced mild tomatoes, undrained
1 package spaghetti pasta (I prefer Angel Hair)

In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain excess grease.
Add 2 cans soup, 2 cans rotel, and finely chopped or minced garlic clove. Mix well.
Simmer at a medium heat to integrate the flavors. (about 15 to 20 minutes)
Reduce heat to low or med-low. Add cheese. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve over cooked spaghetti, or favorite pasta.

Version 2

1 lb ground beef, lean
medium onion, chopped
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 5oz. jar Old English Cheese Spread
2 cans Rotel diced mild tomatoes, undrained
2 cups grated parmesan cheese
1 7 oz pkg spaghetti (I use Angel Hair)

In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion. Drain excess grease.
Add 2 cans soup, 2 cans rotel. Mix well.
Simmer at a low heat to integrate the flavors and add cheese at the very end, allowing time for full melt and integration into sauce.

Serve over cooked spaghetti, or favorite pasta.

In either version you can use Italian Sausage, or any other meat you prefer, in addition to, or in place of, the ground beef.

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
I'm always trying to find ways to get rid of salmon. Here's my favorite salmon-disposal recipe. (I have two other great salmon recipes if anyone is interested)

Salmon Patties:

12oz poached salmon
1/2 c mayo
1T Dijon Mustard
1 minced onion
1t crushed garlic
1C+ bread crumbs
1 egg
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4C oil

Mix mayo, garlic, mustard and egg together. Add salmon, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add enough bread crumbs to make the mixture stick together (I usually have to add about 1/2C). Form into patties and refrigerate patties for 1 hour. Pre-heat the oil in a pan (there should be enough oil in the pan to completely cover the bottom, just barely). After you take the patties out of the fridge, press them into the remaining bread crumb mixture to coat. Cook in the pan for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.

You can make a nice sauce for these by mixing the following:

1/4C olive oil
1t crushed garlic
1T lemon juice
2T dijon mustard
1T honey
salt and pepper to taste

Good alone, on a nice roll with lettuce and tomato, or over a bed of greens with the Dijon dressing.

Last edited:

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
BBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMM, I LOVE YOU GUYS, how about some more salmon stuff.

GreyAsp

Established Member
No pie recipes? :cuss:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... pie.

burnout42

Banned
Chicken Taco Rice

Can be eaten by itself, or rolled into a burrito......it kicks ass and is easy to make.

1lb. boneless chicken breast

1 can of chicken stock

3 cans of corn niblets

2 packets of ortega taco seasoning

1.5 cups of MINUTE rice

1 can of tomato sauce

heat some oil up over medium / medium high heat in the bottom of a pot or big saucepan. Chop up the chicken breast into bite size pieces and throw em in. When the chicken all turns white, add the chicken stock, tomato sauce, and taco seasoning and bring to a boil (don't overcook the chicken or it will be dry.....as soon as the chicken is "mostly" all white, throw in the liquids). reduce heat and simmer it for 5 minutes. Then add the corn and bring to boil again. Remove from heat and stir in the MINUTE rice (make sure you use MINUTE rice or you'll F it up) Let it sit for 5-7 minutes and it is done!

I like to throw it in a bowl, add salt, a lot of pepper and some shredded cheddar cheese. My wife does the same and adds sour cream. Do what you want. the cheddar is key though. This shit is easy as hell and it is extremely good. Also it is cheap to make. This will feed about 3-4 people. I usually double the recipe and stick the leftovers in the fridge. It will keep for a week and nukes good.

Last edited:

burnout42

Banned
Greasy breaded pork chops

Another easy one, and they are so F'n good you will eat pounds of them like candy. I like to have them along with pasta, but I eat them alone all the time.

Start with THIN sliced pork tenderloin chops. Make sure you get the THIN SLICED ones....they are the best tasting in this recipe. They are not very big, so you want to make a bunch of them.

- Italian style bread crumbs
- 2% milk
- imported ROMANO cheese in a block

Put the milk in a bowl and throw the pork chops in to soak. In another bowl, put the bread crumbs and grate the cheese into the bread crumbs. Mix together. I like alot of cheese. Get a big frying pan and put about 1/4" of oil in the bottom - heat up over medium heat. When the oil gets hot, take the chops out of the milk and press them into the bread crumb mixture on both sides coating them reeeeel good, and throw them into the frying pan. ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS BROWN EACH SIDE IN THE FRYING PAN, like 2 min. on each side or until golden brown. then take them out and put them onto paper towel to drain. After all the chops are fried up, put them into a baking dish, grate more cheese onto them and put them in the oven at 325 for 20 min.

WARNING - THESE ARE SO GOOD YOU MAY SHIT YOUR PANTS AFTER EATING ABOUT 15 OF 'EM. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY.

burnout42

Banned
Tuna spaghetti

This stuff is the SHIT and is good for you.

- 4 cans of tuna in water

- 1 little can tomato paste

- 1 big can of tomato sauce

- 1 or 2 cans of mushrooms

- red wine (must)

heat a 1/4 inch or so of oil in the bottom of a pot or BIG saucepan over medium heat. Drain the tuna and throw it in. Just brown the tuna - don't overcook. Put in the tomato paste, sauce and mushrooms, then fill the tomato sauce can back up 1/2 way with water and throw that in and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the red wine to taste....2 or 3 good pours. This really adds the flavor to it. This is enough sauce for about a pound of pasta - I like angel hair. If you eat this with the "greasy breaded pork chops" above, and throw some texas toast into the mix you will eat like a king. Also this makes alot of food and costs jack shit to make.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
simple delicious bbq chicken

-bbq smoker with lots of hot coals

-boneless skinless chicken(breast preferred)

-olive oil, dried cilantro, salt and pepper

clean the chicken then cover in olive oil, salt, pepper and cilantro put on top shelf of bbq cook until golden/white, flip, pour olive oil on and add some salt and pepper, make sure some oil gets burned and it flares up, this will give the chicken good golden skin.

i cook this when im broke and bored, its simple tastes great and you can make sandwiches or cut up and put on salad.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
2 shots wellers
1 can of coca-cola
handful of ice
glass

Mix ingredients in glass. Put glass near large opening beneath nose. Turn glass upside down. Repeat.

Juruense

Banned
high quality ring bologna
cider vinegar

Slice up bolgna, submerge in vinegar overnight in fridge. Enjoy!

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I take a lot of mine from Men's Health, this is one I like to do more frequently...

2 5-6 oz. chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 Tbsp. crumbled Feta cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped olives
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. pine nuts
1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper

Toss together all of the ingredients except for the chicken, olive oil, salt & pepper.

Cut a slit in each of the chicken breasts to create a pocket.

Coat each with the olive oil, inside & out (but you don't need much)

Stuff the chicken breasts with the mixed ingredients, and top with anything that doesn't fit.

Bake for 15 minutes @450 degrees.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I like cooking but I don't do alot of it. About the only thing I fix that I've come up with is my "World Famous Potatoes" Pretty simple to fix.
Just get a bag of the small red skinned potatoes.

Cover a baking pan with aluminum foil

Put a light coat of butter on the pan

Wash and slice the potatoes about a 1/4 inch thick and lay out all around the pan

Take the butter(I usually use a whole stick for the whole process) and chop it up and spread it equally around on top of the potatoes.

Cover the potatoes with a generous amount of salt and pepper

Bake on 400 for an hour to and hour and a half depending on how crispy you want them

It's pretty simple but the flavor the salt and pepper gives them mixed with the butter taste after they back in it makes for a pretty awesome combo.:beer:Best washed down with an ice cold Bud.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Simple Guacamole

3 California Avocados
1/2 lime
1 dash sea salt
2 minced Roma Tomatoes (remove seeds)
1 minced clove of garlic
1/2 chopped Mayan Sweet or Vidalia onion

I hate the guacamole that you buy at the store, so my mom gave me this recipe years ago and I can't get enough of it. Peel and then use a fork to mash the avocado into a chunky paste. Add the juice of half a lime, a dash of the sea salt, the garlic and chopped onion & tomato. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Serve with a strong tortilla chip and ENJOY. This recipe is great and doesn't include added fillers like mayonaise that makes it taste funky.

*Tip: Keep the avocado pit in the dip to prevent it from going brown.

Users who are viewing this thread